Guampedia Newsletter February 2022

Page 2

Page 2 Guampedia Newsletter, February 2022

|

Historical Highlights Guam’s First Flag Guam’s official flag was first raised in Hagatña in 1918. In February, 1948, Naval Governor C.A. Pownall approved Guam Congress Bill No. 12, adding the red border on the flag to commemorate the suffering endured by the people of Guam during WWII occupation. The legislation was enacted by the House of Assembly and the House of Council of the Guam Congress. Blueprint of the Guam Flag. Courtesy of Guam Website

Guam Women’s Club The Guam Women’s Club was the first women’s organization on Guam. It was founded in February of 1952. Some notable early projects of the club were: the reestablishment of the Guam Museum in 1952, the creation of the Padre Palomo and Latte Stone parks in Hagåtña, the lobbying for legislation that resulted in the creation of the village post offices. Founders of the Guam Women’s Club. Courtesy of MARC

Reunification Efforts Members of the Guam Legislature visited with the Marianas District Legislature in February 1966 to once again discuss the possibility of reunification. Carlos P. Taitano, speaker of the 8th Guam Legislature, felt that it was important for Guam and the Northern Marianas to reassert their position in favor of reunification. Subsequently, the Guam Legislature adopted Resolution No. 177, requesting that the president of the United States reintegrate the Mariana Islands. This resolution was taken to Washington, DC, where it was rejected by both State and Interior representatives. 1605 Map of the Marianas. Petrus Bertius/Donald Rubinstein


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
Guampedia Newsletter February 2022 by Guampedia - Issuu