Serving the Northwestern and Evanston communities since 1881
The Daily Northwestern Wednesday, January 22, 2025
DAILYNORTHWESTERN.COM 8 FEATURES/McKeown
6 OPINION/Immigration
Joe McKeown’s legacy is more than just wins
Hernandez Gonzalez: Immigrants are not enemies, they are the heart of America
Find us online @thedailynu Scan this QR code to listen to students’ thoughts on the inauguration!
High 22 Low 3
Campus preps for ICE raids Trump admin eyes Chicago as potential target By NINETH KANIESKI KOSO
daily senior staffer
The Trump administration has planned “postinauguration” immigration raids in Chicago and other sanctuary cities, according to The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. The potential raids have students preparing. The plan involves the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement sending between 100 and 200 officers to carry out large-scale immigration raids, The Wall Street Journal reported. Initially, the raids in Chicago were expected to begin Tuesday and last until the following Monday. However, when the plan was reported by news media outlets, Tom Homan, President Donald J. Trump’s “border czar,” said no decision had been made but Chicago was “not off the table,” according to The New York Times. “(The potential raids) break my heart. I used to be undocumented and I have
family who’s undocumented, and once again, it’s disappointing,” said Maria Jose Arango, a Medill junior and co-president of Northwestern’s Advancement for the Undocumented Community. “I feel a lot of grief seeing how people in power, once again, fail to protect all individuals and to protect everyone in our communities.” After hearing about the potential ICE raids, Weinberg junior Grace Yu said she wanted to inform students about these raids, tell them what their rights are and provide resources and support. Last Friday, Yu held an anti-deportation educational event about ICE to disperse information about potential ICE raids in the Chicago area. The event provided time for students — especially first-generation and low-income students — to talk about ICE and what their rights are, Yu said. “I talked to quite a lot of people who, before they talked to me, didn’t realize that was something that was going down at all,” Yu said. “Not everyone comes across that stuff even if they do keep up with the news.”
» See ICE RAIDS, page 10
William Tong/The Daily Northwestern
The first of several anticipated hostage and detainee exchanges within the six-week ceasefire took place Sunday.
Students react to ceasefire deal
Israel-Hamas ceasefire sparks diverse conversation on campus By LEAH SCHROEDER and ALEXIA SEXTOU
the daily northwestern @lmschroeder
On Sunday, a ceasefire deal went into effect between Hamas and Israel, promising
the exchanges of hostages and detainees and aiming to end the 15-month long war. Students on campus have had varied reactions to the ceasefire which began yesterday. Over the next six weeks, Hamas and Israel are expected
to release 33 hostages and around 1,900 prisoners, respectively. Negotiations to extend the deal are also expected to take place during the ceasefire. “I think the ceasefire will have great (positive)
consequences on NU’s small community,” Medill freshman Ali Mohammad said. “People will finally start to look at each other and perceive each other’s differences, but not (view
» See CEASEFIRE, page 10
La Cocinita set to reopen in new space Trump returns to The new Davis Street location will open Saturday with expanded menu By SOPHIE BAKER
the daily northwestern
Grow ing up, Benoit Angulo, co-owner of Venezuelan restaurant La Cocinita, envisioned creating a gathering spot like the Spanish and Portuguese-style eateries in his home country of Venezuela, where people could watch soccer, eat, drink and spend the day together. Now, 13 years after he and his now-wife Rachel Angulo opened their first food truck in New Orleans, this dream will be realized. La Cocinita’s Evanston location will relocate to a larger space at 521 Davis St. and open Saturday. W hile La Concinita has provided Evanston residents with Venezuelan cuisine for nearly a decade, the larger size of their new location will finally allow them to have the gathering space they always dreamed of. The Angulos met in New Orleans and opened their first food truck there in 2011. They moved to Evanston to
Recycle Me
be closer to Rachel Angulo’s family in 2014. In 2016, they opened La Cocinita in Evanston, which Rachel Angulo said she knew people would be receptive to. “I feel like the (Evanston) community embraces diversity in all forms — including culinary diversity — and felt like Venezuelan cuisine would be a hit here,” she said. The restaurant closed its location at 1625 Chicago Ave. roughly a month ago. Rachel Angulo said that the transition to Davis Street took “longer” than anticipated. Downtown Evanston Executive Director Andy Vick said the move happened because a mid-rise building will take the restaurant’s place. “That, I think, is a winwin,” Vick said. “It’s good for La Cocinita to have a new and larger space, and I’m also very excited about the development that’s going up on Chicago Avenue, as it’s going to bring more residents into downtown.” The Angulos knew about the move in advance and
the White House Northwestern community reacts to inaguration By REED ZIMMERMAN
the daily northwestern @reedzimmerman2
Sophie Baker/The Daily Northwestern
La Cocinita’s owners are most enthusiastic about their new space. They feel that they have taken the time to cultivate an inviting environment.
found it difficult to balance investing in their new space while still operating at their preferred capacity. Benoit Angulo said that they were stuck in a “limbo,” which limited their creative capacity in the kitchen.
Now that the restaurant is officially moving, the family is investing in design, rolling out new menu items and incorporating a bar into the space.
» See LA CONCINTA, page 10
President Donald Trump officially returned to the White House after taking the oath of office on Monday. For members of the Northwestern community, Trump’s inauguration brought mixed feelings. Weinberg junior and NU College Republicans Vice President Clark Hanlon, who watched the inauguration, believes the second Trump presidency will “forge a true restoration of the American way of life.” Hanlon also believes the decision by House Speaker Mike Johnson to raise the Capitol’s flags to full mast during the inauguration was representative of “confidence and excitement in this new era of governance.” Johnson’s
decision directly defies outgoing President Joe Biden’s orders for American flags to be kept at half-mast for a month following the death of former President Jimmy Carter. However, the ceremony did not take place with the flags outside the Capitol in view. The ceremony instead took place in the Capitol Rotunda due to inclement weather conditions. CEOs of notable tech companies, including Mark Zuckerberg of Meta, Sundar Pichai of Google, Jeff Bezos of Amazon and Elon Musk of Tesla, sat in prominent seats at the inauguration. Such presences irritated Weinberg junior and NU College Democrats co-President Adam Durr. “Donald Trump took the oath of office surrounded by corporate oligarchs,” Durr said. Durr also expressed his doubts regarding the plausibility of Trump’s economic plans
» See INAUGURATION, page 10
INSIDE: Around Town 2 | On Campus 3 | Arts & Entertainment 4 | Opinion 6 | Classifieds & Puzzles 10 | Sports 12