Western Port
GET YOUR
FREE TV GUIDE INSIDE!
An independent voice for the community
FREE
Your weekly community newspaper covering the entire Western Port region
DOWNLOAD 3MP FROM THE APP STORE OR GOOGLE PLAY
Wednesday 22 January 2025
For all advertising and editorial, call 03 5974 9000 or email: team@mpnews.com.au www.mpnews.com.au
Picture: Ian Johnson
The Angel returns to Tyabb IN the early 1970s a group of Peninsula Aero Club members, led by Dr. Tom Ready and Bill Vowell, envisioned a future where medical emergencies, no matter how remote, could be swiftly addressed. The roads from the peninsula at the time were basic. An ambulance ride to a Melbourne hospital was long and arduous. It could make the difference between saving a limb, rescuing a life, or saving a mother and baby from a difficult birth. Their dream was to transform the way medical aid was delivered, and it would take the form of a pioneering helicopter ambulance service: the Angel of Mercy. They established the Angel of Mercy in 1970, a groundbreaking air ambulance service operating out of Tyabb Airport. It was the first civil helicopter ambulance service in the Southern Hemisphere. The Angel of Mercy’s inaugural
flight marked a significant milestone in Australian medical history. A Hughes 300 helicopter, registered VH-BAG, took to the skies, carrying hope and healing to those in need. However, the true game-changer arrived on the 1st March 1971 with the introduction of a Bell 206, VH-AAL, a more powerful and versatile helicopter capable of reaching even the most remote locations more swiftly and with a higher payload. Highly skilled pilots like Bob Turner, Bill English, Leigh Hornsby and John Sonneveld played a crucial role in the service’s success. They were all acknowledged on Saturday 18 January when the Angel of Mercy memorial was officially dedicated at Tyabb Airport. A big crowd gathered for the free open day with live music from The Catalina Cruisers and a free sausage BBQ lunch.
Plug pulled on council’s costly citizens’ panel Brendan Rees brendan@mpews.com.au A CONTENTIOUS citizens’ panel aimed at helping shape the peninsula’s future at a cost of $150,000 to ratepayers has been given the flick by Mornington Peninsula Shire councillors. The panel, established in 2022, has seen 150 members participate in “gaining valuable insights into the many challenges facing council” as well as developing a community vision to 2040. Through the forums panellists provided councillors with “a rich data source to assist them with their
decision-making” as part of “deliberative consultation” as stated in the Local Government Act. Last year the budget allocated to the 2024 panel was $140,000 with each panellist receiving $800 in gift vouchers. This year the council had planned to recruit 55 panel members to attend ten sessions starting on 12 February. “If we didn’t run a citizens’ panel in 2025, we would still need to incorporate deliberative engagement components in our development of the council and wellbeing plan,” according to a council report published in December. It also noted the citizens’ panel format provided cost efficiencies as
multiple projects could be discussed throughout the year. But newly elected councillor Stephen Batty moved a motion at the council’s 18 December meeting calling for the council to immediately abolish the costly panel. The motion said in “the current environment, council needs to be transparent and cost conscious, given these are ratepayer funds”. Batty believed the “significant dollars” spent on the panel should be diverted to “something worthwhile, outstanding maintenance or other expenditure items”. “Supporting community engagement should be applauded and now we have 11 separate wards, surely
the most important role a council performs is listening and following up the community’s concerns over the environment and infrastructure projects,” said Batty. He said he understood as few as 33 panel members attended some meetings and didn’t include local businesses and authorities. Cr David Gill voted against the motion, arguing it “looks like a knee jerk reaction without experiencing the pros and cons of a citizens panel”. Cr Max Patton, who served as a former member of the panel, emphasised its importance, saying it was a “fantastic community engagement” program and that he saw first-hand how members shaped key decisions.
“I appreciate Cr Batty’s intention to reduce spending but as we’ve seen in the officer’s report, it’s actually going to cost double to move into another system,” he said. Cr Andrea Allen did not agree, saying abolishing a citizens’ panel “was definitely not saying no to consultation”. “There are different ways of doing deliberative consultation as well... my concerns about the citizens’ panel is one, having a random bunch of people give their opinions, I would prefer to have the people that are actually impacted by what we’re consulting on to be the ones to tell us what they think.” Continued Page 5
FOR QUALITY HOME CARE CHOOSE
RIGHT AT HOME MELBOURNE FRANKSTON Right at Home are leaders in quality home care and support, delivering services that allow our clients to remain safe and independent in their own homes. We serve government funded and private pay clients. Your local Right at Home office in Melbourne Frankston is ready to look after your family when you can’t.
• 24/7 On Call & 24/7 Care Service • Supervised, Individual Care Plan • Approved Home Care Package Provider Levels 1-4 • No Home Care Package Management Fees • Complex Nursing Care
• Disability & NDIS Support • Flexible, Reliable, Certified Carers • Post-Operative Care • Hospital In The Home • Personal & Companion Care
Let’s start talking about living™
• Domestic, Shopping, Transport
Right at Home Melbourne Frankston P 03 8905 4016 | E care.mfn@rightathome.com.au www.rightathome.com.au We deliver services to government funded and private pay clients.
The Right Care, Right at Home™