Skip to main content

TUESDAY 27TH JUNE 2023

Page 1

Buhari Delayed Fuel Subsidy Removal for Tinubu to Win, Says Garba Shehu NNPC's subsidy payment arrears jumped to N3.73tn in May Under-recovery hits N1.82trn in five months Cameroon, Benin, Togo’s black markets crash after removal of petrol subsidy in Nigeria Yuguda alleges national oil company, marketers, others involved in fuel subsidy scam Deji Elumoye, Chuks Okocha and Emmanuel Addeh in Abuja Former spokesperson to President

Muhammadu Buhari, Garba Shehu, has formally reacted to the removal of fuel subsidy by President Bola Tinubu, upon his inauguration on

May 29, 2023. Shehu justified Buhari’s refusal to remove the petrol subsidy while his eight-year administration lasted,

just as it emerged that data from the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC) indicated that the national oil company had a

whopping N3.73 trillion in unpaid petrol subsidy arrears as at May this year. This was just as petrol racketeer-

ing markets in some West African nations, including Cameroon, Benin Continued on page 27

Sierra Leonean Electoral Body Declares ‘Partial Results’, Incumbent Ahead... Page 27 Tuesday 27 June, 2023 Vol 28. No 10303. Price: N250

www.thisdaylive.com TR

UT H

& RE A S O

N

FG Renames Airports after Political Leaders, Other Prominent Nigerians... Page 12

Ribadu: It’s Time Nigeria Enjoyed Peace, Takes Over as NSA Monguno: He's well-equipped for task ahead Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, yesterday, officially assumed duties as the new National Security Adviser (NSA) with a pledge to restore order, rule

of law, contain insecurity and as well stabilise Nigeria, saying the time had come for Nigeria to enjoy peace and stability.

On his part, the former NSA, Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd), said, "Ribadu is well-equipped, well-qualified, well-educated and

has a very deep understanding of the complexity of the security challenges confronting Nigeria." Ribadu took over from Monguno,

following his appointment by President Bola Tinubu on June 19, 2023. According to him, the admin-

istration of President Tinubu has enormous responsibility to secure, Continued on page 27

After Aborted Rebellion in Russia, Concern Mounts over Wagner in Africa Paramilitary organisation won’t be withdrawn from Africa, says Lavrov We’ll continue to hold mercenary group accountable, state department spokesman Expert warns mercenary group doesn’t bring stability, but chaos Recent acts of rebellion by the Wagner mercenary group in Ukraine against Russia, its mother country, has continued to generate concerns in Africa, especially in countries, where its leader had earlier turned to the group to help reinforce their stay in office. Unfortunately, the aborted rebellion was believed to have brought unease to many parts of Africa, where some of the leaders, who had earlier turned to the Wagner group, now face the possibility that the private paramilitary organisation could be weakened or even dismantled, The Washington Post reported. United States President, Joe Biden, yesterday, said the U.S. and its allies made clear to Moscow that they were not involved in the Wagner mercenary group's brief uprising in Russia over the weekend, calling it "part of a struggle within the Russian system." This was as the State Department spokesman, Matthew Miller, who declined to confirm that sanctions were being delayed, said the United Continued on page 28

DECORATION CEREMONY... Vice President Kashim Shettima (right) decorates the newly-appointed acting Comptroller General of Customs, Adewale Bashir Adeniyi, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja... yesterday


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook