Skip to main content

THE VINCENTIAN PDF-20-06-2025

Page 1

FRIDAY, JUNE 20, 2025

VOLUME 119, No. 24

NSPD welcomes changes Page 3

www.thevincentian.com

DPP office understaffed? Page 4

Bovell and ‘Shake’ Page 13

EC$1.50

Education in crisis Page 15

AK47, Uzi recovered Page 24

SECOND MALE AG CALLS FOR

CHARGED IN

TRIPLE MURDER Assistant Commission of Police in charge of fighting crime Trevor ‘Buju’ Bailey has alluded to a motive which he said will be revealed only in Court. by HADYN HUGGINS POLICE HAVE CHARGED a second man in connection with the shooting deaths of three persons in Belmont on May 16, 2025. Leon Andre John, a 28-year-old labourer of Belmont, appeared before the Serious Offences Court on Monday, 16th June, 2025 charged with the murders of Lesline Davis, a 68-year-old businesswoman; Demeon Cumberbatch, a 38-year-old labourer; and Haynesly Browne, a 30-year-old labourer, all of Belmont. Continued on Page 3.

Leon Andre John (head down) leaving the Serious Offences Court on Monday under police escort.

REVIEW OF POLICES RAID

IN WHAT MANY CONSIDER A MOVE that just might have more than a legal motive to it, Attorney General Grenville Williams, in a statement released earlier this week, called for an independent review of a police shooting that occurred on the morning of Attorney General Grenville Saturday, June Williams want to see an 14, 2025, during independent view of a recent a police police operation that left wo operation in persons nursing bullet Chauncey, a wounds. community in the South Leeward constituency. That operation resulted in the a member of the Royal St. Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force being shot, deemed to be critically injured and was warded at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital (NCNH). A civilian was also shot and injured during the same operation. In his call, the Attorney General, cum election candidate, made the following recommendations: that an immediate, independent review be set in operation, “to review the planning conduct and execution of the raid (police operation), the chain of command and the conditions that led to the outcome of the operation (shooting injuries).” The Attorney General cautioned that the review “should be impartial, transparent, and comprehensive, and its findings will help guide both accountability and reform.” With an eye on the way ahead, Williams said he envisioned that the Cabinet and the Ministry of National Security will support: * a Commission of Inquiry into the incident, with independent legal and civilian oversight; * an immediate review and revision of operational protocols for tactical fieldwork; * enhanced training programs focusing on jointunit coordination, urban operations, and use-offorce decision-making; Continued on Page 3.


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
THE VINCENTIAN PDF-20-06-2025 by TheVincentian Publishing - Issuu