HOUSE & HOME MONDAY
NEW Smoky BLT QPC
HIGH 81ºF LOW 68ºF
i’m lovin’ it!
McGriddles
Monday,
February
CARS! CARS!
8, 2021
The Tribune Established
Being Bound To
Swear To The Dogmas
1903
Of No Master
The Tribune L A T E S T
Sweet & Savory Mornings
Volume: 120 No.264, December 12, 2022
N E W S
tise Call
To Adver
-2351
601-0007 or 502
Starting at
$33.60
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
ed
VAT includ
Established 1903
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
Biggest And Best!
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
FTX LIQUIDATOR IS FROZEN OUT Access to company records blocked - and documents could be lost forever By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE joint provisional liquidators for FTX’s Bahamian subsidiary have revealed a month-long block on access to the company’s records is “frustrating” their efforts to secure and protect assets. Blaming John Ray, chief executive of the 134 FTX entities subject to Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, over the access denial, the provisional liquidation trio are warning it is becoming time-critical that this be restored as some documents related to the
IT’S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE...
collapsed crypto exchange “expire” after a 60-day period and will be permanently lost. Asserting that negotiations with Mr Ray have made little to no progress, Brian Simms KC, senior partner with the Lennox Paton law firm, and Kevin Cambridge and Peter Greaves, the PricewaterhouseCoopers accounting duo, on Friday night filed an emergency motion with the Delaware bankruptcy court requesting that it order Mr Ray to grant the necessary access that has been denied since November 12.
By JADE RUSSELL jrussell@tribunemedia.net
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
FTX FOUNDER Sam Bankman-Fried yesterday denied claims of the company being non-compliant with the country’s digital assets regulations, insisting his team had spent an enormous amount of time “on regulations and compliance”.
The former FTX CEO said the company tried its best to do right by all the regulators it interacted with locally and added that for the most part, he was proud of the team’s response. However, he acknowledged he was certain the company was “not as responsive as we could have been sometimes”, especially in the last month. SEE PAGE FIVE
POLICE have charged a police officer with conspiracy to commit murder in relation to the death of a Passport Office employee. Last night, the Royal Bahamas Police Force said a male police corporal and a 28-year-old man will be arraigned on murder conspiracy charges regarding the death of Jason Whitfield. Whitfield was killed on Saturday December 3 in Garden Hills. According to initial reports from police, the 43-year-old victim was found unresponsive with an apparent gunshot injury inside a government-issued vehicle on Crocus Avenue, Gardens Hills #3 around 7.30am on the day in question. SEE PAGE FIVE
FOUR KILLED IN WEEKEND ROAD CRASHES
BANKMAN-FRIED: WE TRIED TO DO RIGHT BY REGULATORS By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net
POLICEMAN ACCUSED OF CONSPIRACY TO MURDER
THE CHRISTMAS tree in Rawson Square after the official lighting ceremony last night with, right, Chester Cooper, overseeing the occasion.
FNM: SEARS THROWING PM UNDER BUS By JADE RUSSELL jrussell@tribunemedia.net FREE National Movement leader Michael Pintard accused Minister of Works Alfred Sears of throwing Prime Minister Philip Davis “under the bus” on the Bahamas Power and Light fuel hedging controversy. Mr Pintard’s comments came on Friday after Mr Sears finally admitted that he was in fact briefed on
MINISTER of Works and Utilities Alfred Sears. Photo: Austin Fernander BPL’s fuel hedging requests and received an email on October 9, 2021. “He (Mr Sears) with the
support of his prime minister sought to conceal the fact that they had made a bad decision. And this is why we are here today. They attempted to conceal that decision and now that it had been revealed, he threw the prime minister under the bus,” Mr Pintard claimed. He added the decision of the government not to continue with the process
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE FOUR
FOUR men are dead following four separate traffic fatalities over the weekend, two of the accidents having occurred in Eleuthera yesterday. In one of the incidents, police in Eleuthera reported that a male passenger was left dead after a woman driver hit a wall and tree. The incident occurred shortly after 3am on Queen’s Highway, near a business in Governor’s Harbour. Preliminary reports revealed that a black Honda Stream, driven by a woman and occupied by a male passenger, was travelling south on Queen’s Highway in the area of a business when the accident took place. SEE PAGE THREE
INSIGHT HOW WOULD YESTERDAY’S SEARS JUDGE THE SEARS OF TODAY?
SEE PAGE 8