WOMAN & HEALTH TUESDAY
$5.50 Meals: 6Pc Nuggets McChicken McDouble
HIGH 86ºF LOW 75ºF
i’m lovin’ it!
CARS! CARS!
The Tribune Established 1903
Biggest And Best!
L AT E S T
Volume: 119 No.245, November 15, 2022
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
N E W S
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
GOVT WON’T APPROVE EVENT FOR ‘FUGITIVE’
Deputy PM responds to reports of event planned by Fyre Festival organiser By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net THE Davis administration will not endorse or approve any event in The Bahamas associated with “fugitive” Fyre Festival organiser Billy McFarland, Deputy Prime Minister and Exuma MP Chester Cooper said yesterday. Mr Cooper said Mr McFarland is considered to be a “fugitive” due to several pending complaints made against him with the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF). The minister was responding to reports of
BNT ‘NOT WORRIED’ OVER VILLAGE ROAD ROADWORKS
Mr McFarland’s new venture with plans of returning to the country to host a “treasure hunt” that will be the focus of an upcoming documentary. According to MixMag, Mr McFarland is heading back to Exuma, the original site for the failed 2017 Fyre Festival, to launch “PYRT” which will “see participants take part in a treasure hunt where they track down bottles containing messages”. Mr McFarland has been teasing the “treasure hunt” on TikTok. However, Mr Cooper said in his statement: “The
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
THE Bahamas’ bid to achieve full compliance with all global anti-financial crime standards before year-end may have been endangered by the implosion of the FTX crypto currency exchange, it can be revealed. For one of the two outstanding standards, on which The Bahamas was hoping to achieve fully “compliant” status this month after remedying previously-identified deficiencies in its supervisory regime, relates directly to regulation of the digital assets industry.
SEE PAGE THREE
MAN SURVIVES SHARK ATTACK IN ANDROS By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net
AN Andros man is breathing a sigh of relief after having survived a brutal shark attack on the island over the weekend. Navado Sweeting, 32, was bitten on his left hand by a bull shark while spearfishing with his brother and nephew
on Saturday. According to relatives, the Andros resident, who spears fish for a living, had to break his hand in order to free himself from the shark’s biting grip. His youngest brother dove “in a pool of blood” to help save him following the attack, this newspaper was told. SEE PAGE FIVE
FTX IMPLOSION THREATENS PERFECT ‘40 OF 40’ IN FINANCIAL CRIME FIGHT
SEE BUSINESS SECTION
ARAWAK PORT BEATS Q1 PROFITS TARGET BY 56% By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
BAHAMAS National Trust Executive Director Eric Carey said yesterday the organisation is “not worried” about the ongoing roadworks on Village Road (pictured here from last night) despite its Jollification festival set for this weekend. Photo: Moise Amisial • SEE PAGE FOUR
PINTARD DEMANDS ACCOUNT OF PUBLIC FUNDS TO BPL
By LYNAIRE MUNNINGS lmunnings@tribunemedia.net
OPPOSITION Leader Michael Pintard demanded the Davis administration provide a full account of public funds submitted to Bahamas Power and Light (BPL), after the government revealed further financial assistance to the entity. Last month, Works and Utilities Minister Alfred Sears said the government intended to make payments
FNM leader Michael Pintard. of $10 million to Shell for a period of nine months to satisfy BPL’S debt. He also noted that the government has
continuously assisted BPL through various financial challenges. “The government has been assisting BPL through various financing mechanisms to cover the arrears owed by BPL to Shell,” the minister said at the time in the House of Assembly. “A firm arrangement has now been arrived at whereby as of October 1, 2022, the government will make a monthly subvention of $10m to Shell to be SEE PAGE THREE
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
NASSAU’S main commercial shipping port is targeting an $808,000 yearover-year increase in net profits for its 2023 financial year after first quarter net income exceeded forecasts by some 56 percent. SEE BUSINESS SECTION
FACE TO FACE:
TWO PHARMACY INDUSTRY FORERUNNERS
PAGE NINE