HOUSE & HOME MONDAY McRib is Back! HIGH 87ºF LOW 77ºF
i’m lovin’ it!
Monday,
February
CARS! CARS!
8, 2021
The Tribune Established
Being Bound To
Swear To The Dogmas
1903
Of No Master
The Tribune L A T E S T
Volume: 119 No.234, October 31, 2022
N E W S
tise Call
To Adver
-2351
601-0007 or 502
Starting at
$33.60
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
ed
VAT includ
Established 1903
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
Biggest And Best!
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
THREE MURDERS IN VIOLENT WEEKEND
Two shooting victims were out on bail By LYNAIRE MUNNINGS lmunnings@tribunemedia.net THREE people — including two men on bail for serious crimes — were shot dead in separate incidents over the weekend, police said. In the latest incident, which took place after 7pm yesterday, four people, including a woman, were shot while standing outside at Lightbourne Alley in the Rock Crusher area. Police
said the woman died at the scene while the second victim, a man on bail, died on the way to the hospital. A day earlier, a man on bail for murder was shot dead in the area of Sixth Street and Poinciana Avenue. Last night, Chief Superintendent Michael Johnson, head of the Criminal Investigations Department, said it was too early to say if the two incidents are related. SEE PAGE THREE
BAHAMIAN food stores yesterday said they “expect” the government to extend tomorrow’s deadline to implement the major price control regime expansion if both parties are unable to reach agreement by then. John Bostwick, the Retail Grocers Association’s (RGA) attorney,
By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net
told Tribune Business “the ball is in the Government’s court” as to the next step since neither the food retailers, wholesalers and distributors or their pharmaceutical counterparts have received any response to the position papers and alternative solutions that were proposed “well within” the time permitted by the Davis administration. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
FREE National Movement leader Michael Pintard accused the government of violating the Public Finance Management Act when it used public money to pay for Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis’ controversial trip to Bermuda. He said the opposition will put this issue before the Public Accounts Committee and use that group’s power to compel the turnover of all the relevant documents. Last week, press secretary Clint Watson urged those who said the government had broken the law in reference to the trip’s financing to show which law had been contravened. SEE PAGE THREE
NO DECISION BUT DAMAGED COLUMBUS STATUE MOVED
STORES EXPECT GOVT TO MOVE PRICING DEADLINE By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
FNM NAMES LAW IT SAYS GOVT BROKE OVER TRIP TO BERMUDA
THE SCENE at Lightbourne Alley in the Rock Crusher area last night after four people were shot leaving a man and a woman dead. Photo: Moise Amisial
DOCTORS ALARM AT OUTSOURCING PLAN By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net
CONSULTANT physicians at the Princess Margaret Hospital are upset with government’s proposed plan to “outsource” care to Doctors Hospital due to ward closures and renovations. In a document dated October 20, consultants from PMH’s Department of Internal Medicine criticised the plan — which details
PRINCESS MARGARET HOSPITAL how some PMH patients would be relocated to Doctors Hospital West — saying there is no justification for it. The doctors alleged there has already been a death
in the pilot of this process when a patient who had been moved to the other health facility became unstable and could not be revived on arrival at PMH. When contacted for comment on the doctors’ concerns yesterday, Health and Wellness Minister Dr Michael Darville said some “extensive renovations” at Princess Margaret Hospital are planned. He said the upgrades cannot take SEE PAGE FOUR
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
THE statue of Christopher Columbus at Government House has been removed and will remain in storage until the government and stakeholders determine what to do with it. This was confirmed by the director of communications in the Office of the Prime Minister, Latrae Rahming, yesterday. Mr Rahming was contacted after pictures circulated on social media showing the missing statue. “I can confirm that the statue has been removed,” he told The Tribune yesterday. “It was an organised effort by Government House, the Ministry of Works, and the Bahamas SEE PAGE TWO
INSIGHT CHANCE FOR DAVIS TO PRESS CASE ON CLIMATE
SEE PAGE EIGHT