Skip to main content

10252022 NEWS, FEATURES, SPORT AND BUSINESS

Page 1

WOMAN & HEALTH TUESDAY

Established

February

CARS! CARS!

8, 2021

Being Bound To

Swear To The Dogmas

1903

Of No Master

The Tribune tise Call

To Adver

-2351

601-0007 or 502

CLASSIFIEDS TRADER

$33.60

Established 1903

Big Breakfast w/Hotcakes and Bacon

i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 85ºF LOW 72ºF

Monday,

The Tribune

L A T E S T

N E W S

O N

T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M

Biggest And Best!

Volume: 119 No.230, October 25, 2022

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1

HOTELS: HELP US TO DEAL WITH BPL HIKE Meeting to discuss ways to mitigate rise in fuel costs By LETRE SWEETING lsweeting@tribunemedia.net HOTELIERS plan to meet with executives of Bahamas Power and Light next week to discuss ways to mitigate the effects of the increased fuel surcharge for hotels and large property owners. While stressing that he did not want to pre-empt the outcome of the meeting, Robert Sands, the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association’s president, said discussions about a possible tax break of some sort for hotels in the future will be on the table among other considerations.

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net BAHAMIAN tourism was yesterday said to be enjoying “the perfect storm” via a record booking pace that will see it exceed pre-COVID business levels by 2023 at latest, with one hotelier saying: “I think we’re back.”

PAGE EIGHT

PINTARD WANTS PAPERWORK FOR BERMUDA TRIP FREE National Movement leader Michael Pintard has called on the Davis administration to be transparent and reveal the documentation that shows who paid for Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis’ recent trip to Bermuda. In a press release yesterday, he said that like many Bahamians, including the press, the opposition party is unclear on whether the government or the PLP paid for this trip. Foreign Affairs Minister Fred Mitchell had earlier said there was nothing unusual about his and Mr Davis’ recent trip to Bermuda. SEE PAGE THREE

MILO BUTLER MART TO CLOSE ‘FOR MONTHS’

SEE PAGE THREE

Robert Sands, the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association’s president, told Tribune Business that the industry will “be coming very close” to the this year to matching 2019 levels when the country received a record 7.2m visitors despite being hit by Hurricane Dorian. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

A PASTOR AND A VISIONARY

By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net

“I can tell you that the industry has set up a meeting with the leadership of BPL,” Mr Sands told reporters yesterday. “That meeting is taking place in fact next week Monday and therefore we have presented a number of discussion points with them and we’re looking forward to that meeting taking place at that time.” Mr Sands’ comments yesterday came three weeks after Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis’s announcement of the increase of the monthly fuel charge at BPL.

...AS ‘PERFECT STORM’ SEES RECORD PACE OF BOOKINGS

FACE TO FACE:

SHOT DEAD WHILE ON BAIL FOR MURDER

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

ADRIAN KNOWLES, who was shot dead yesterday. He was out on bail for murder, having been accused of the 2016 murder of Coleman Edgecombe. By JADE RUSSELL jrussell@tribunemedia.net A MAN on bail for murder was killed and a 30-year-old man is in hospital after a double shooting yesterday. The incident happened shortly before 4am outside a business on 6th Terrace off Collins Avenue, police said. The 34-year-old victim who was shot and killed was identified by a relative as Adrian Knowles. He was reportedly being

electronically monitored and on bail for murder. Preliminary reports from police indicate that the two men had just left a business on 6th Terrace and were in the area of East Avenue when the occupants of a grey vehicle, that was travelling east on 6th Terrace, opened fire on the men hitting them multiple times. EMS personnel arrived at the scene and confirmed that Knowles had

no vital signs of life. The second victim, a 30-year-old Kemp Road man, was taken to hospital by EMS where he is detained in critical condition. In November 2016, Knowles was accused of intentionally causing the death of Coleman Edgecombe. Edgecombe, 21, was shot in the head during an argument outside a nightclub on Arundel Street. SEE PAGE TWO

THE iconic Over-the-Hill Milo Butler Mart, with a more than 50-year history, will temporarily close for several months on Friday as its owners “apply the brakes” and work out how to maximise use of that site. Allan Butler, chairman of Milo Butler Corporation, said it was “not business as usual” in the post-COVID era. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

PETER YOUNG

DISARRAY - BUT NEW PM IN PLACE IN BRITAIN

PAGE NINE

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
10252022 NEWS, FEATURES, SPORT AND BUSINESS by tribune242 - Issuu