WEEKEND FRIDAY
Established
February
CARS! CARS!
8, 2021
Being Bound To
Swear To The Dogmas
1903
Of No Master
The Tribune tise Call
To Adver
-2351
601-0007 or 502
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
$33.60
Established 1903
Chicken Sandwiches: Spicy, Deluxe & Crispy
i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 89ºF LOW 78ºF
Monday,
The Tribune
L A T E S T
N E W S
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
Biggest And Best!
Volume: 119 No.209, September 23, 2022
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
‘KEEP MASK RULES AT SUPERMARKETS’ Roberts fears stores would become super spreader of COVID-19 By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net SUPER Value’s principal yesterday urged the Government to maintain the COVID mask mandate for supermarkets and prevent the sector from becoming “the number one spreader” of the virus. Rupert Roberts said he felt it was “too dangerous” to end the mandatory wearing of masks in food stores
given that they typically attracted large numbers of shoppers who frequently find themselves in close proximity to one another. Acknowledging that his call may prove unpopular with some, while revealing that the 13-store chain plans to require all its staff to continue wearing masks, he said: “If we’re wrong, we’re wrong on the side of caution.” FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS PLUS PAGE FOUR
PM SEEKS TO CUT DEBT TO 50% OF GDP THIS TERM By KHRISNA RUSSELL Tribune Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net PRIME Minister Philip “Brave” Davis says his goal is to reduce the country’s debt to gross domestic product ratio from 82 percent to at least 50 percent by the end of this term. During an interview with Bloomberg in New York yesterday, Mr Davis also sought to set the record straight that The Bahamas was in the position to fulfil its obligations despite the debt the country faces.
This debt, he said, was directly linked to the consequences of climate change in the form of hurricanes that have brought devastation to the country over the years. Mr Davis is in New York for the 77th Session of the United Nations General Assembly, where he will deliver The Bahamas’ statement. The session began on Tuesday. “There is some misinformation that’s in the marketplace that suggests SEE PAGE THREE
FIRST STEP TO HELP YOUNG A GROUNDBREAKING ceremony was held yesterday at the Ranfurly Homes for Children as part of a project to create a four-unit home for young adults transitioning from the children’s home into the adult world. See PAGE TWO for more. Photo: Moise Amisial
FIVE DAYS WITHOUT ELECTRICITY MINISTER AND FORMER PM ON FOR RAGGED ISLAND RESIDENTS SAME SIDE AGAINST PROPOSAL By KHRISNA RUSSELL Tribune Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net SOME Ragged Island residents incensed by a five-day electricity blackout last week have questioned whether the island’s newly commissioned solar plant is effectively servicing Bahamas Power and Light customers.
In interviews with The Tribune, residents recalled the “struggle” they experienced when a generator supplying power to about 50 customers on the island was struck by lightning leaving them without electricity. While power was restored over the weekend through a replacement generator, SEE PAGE FIVE
By YOURI KEMP Tribune Business Reporter ykemp@tribunemedia.net ENVIRONMENT Minister Vaughn Miller and former Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis have both voiced concerns surrounding “problems, problems, problems” with the proposed $63m Adelaide Pines project in which Albany’s
developer is a shareholder. Mr Miller and Dr Minnis found themselves on the same side over the southwestern New Providence venture that has pledged to create up to 300 full-time jobs via the development of an 180-lot community together with 19-25 spaces for commercial and light industry.
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
SECOND MURDER IN TWO DAYS By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net
POLICE are investigating a second homicide in as many days after a man was shot dead yesterday morning off Hamster Road. A day earlier, police said a man was found dead in a stairwell in a building on Boyd Road with stab wounds. Press liaison officer Chief Superintendent
A BODY leaving the scene of yesterday’s shooting. Photo: Moise Amisial Chrislyn Skippings said around 7am, police were alerted that a man had
been shot multiple times. No formal identification has been made, but a wellplaced source reported that the victim was Darren Gibson. “Our preliminary investigations or information thus far reveals that a male had just left a residence here when a van, believed to be either white or green, approached the deceased,” she told reporters on the scene. SEE PAGE THREE
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
DIANE PHILLIPS:
THE SAGA OF TRYING TO TAKE UP INCENTIVES
SEE PAGE NINE