HOUSE & HOME MONDAY
Quarter Pounder: Juicy, Cheesy, Awesome
HIGH 88ºF LOW 78ºF
i’m lovin’ it!
Monday,
February
CARS! CARS!
8, 2021
The Tribune Established
Being Bound To
Swear To The Dogmas
1903
Of No Master
The Tribune L A T E S T
N E W S
tise Call
To Adver
-2351
601-0007 or 502
Starting at
$33.60
Established 1903
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
Biggest And Best!
Volume: 119 No.201, September 12, 2022
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
ed
VAT includ
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
WILL CHARLES BE OUR LAST KING? As Ingraham reads proclamation, Davis promises republic vote By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net PRIME Minister Phillip “Brave” Davis said on Friday that his administration will let Bahamians decide whether The Bahamas should transition into a republic amid reignited discussion over the issue following Queen Elizabeth II’s death. Speaking to reporters after signing the book of condolences for the Queen at the Senate, Mr Davis suggested that
while he would support the move, the decision on the country’s future with the monarchy ultimately lies with the Bahamian public. “The only challenge with us moving to a republic is that I can’t, as much as I would wish to do it, I cannot do it without your consent,” he said. “I will have a referendum and the Bahamian people will have to say to me, ‘yes’.” SEE PAGES TWO & THREE
LEGISLATION ON MARITAL RAPE BEING REVIEWED By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net
SOCIAL Services and Urban Development Minister Obie Wilchcombe said the government is currently reviewing draft legislation that addresses the issue of marital rape and is hoping to receive feedback “from all sides” concerning the proposed legislation. Speaking to reporters on Friday, Mr Wilchcombe said he was impressed with the draft legislation and added that he was looking forward to discussions with religious leaders on the issue this Thursday. The talks will no doubt be lively as Christian Council officials have said the body remains generally divided when it comes to marital rape. SEE PAGE SEVEN
GOVT: DOMES HAD TO BE DEMOLISHED By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net
THE reading of the proclamation yesterday, above, by former Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham, flanked by former Prime Minister Perry Christie and Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis. Far left, Mr Davis signing the book of condolences. Photos: BIS
CHURCH-GOING JUNKANOOER SHOT DEAD By LYNAIRE MUNNINGS lmunnings@tribunemedia.net
RELATIVES of a man who was shot dead on Saturday night have described him as a “quiet” guy who loved Junkanoo and attended church. Police said they were alerted to sounds of gunshots from residents of Lazaretto Road around 9.30pm. Upon their arrival at the scene, police discovered the body of a male of Haitian
WELJI NOEL descent with multiple gunshot wounds. The 20-year-old victim was pronounced dead at the
scene by Emergency Medical Services. Yesterday, Luvi Noel identified the victim as her brother, Welji Noel. She said the family is “shocked” by his untimely death. When asked by this newspaper to describe the kind of person her brother was, she said: “Quiet. Active. He was an active member in Junkanoo and an active member in the church. To know him is to love him.” SEE PAGE FOUR
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
THE OFFICE of the Prime Minister has vigorously defended the demolition of domes on Abaco in the wake of criticisms over the move, stressing the operation was necessary due to serious mismanagement of the housing structures and the “squalid” and unsafe state of the dome site. The Davis administration came under heavy fire last week after it began demolishing the domes in Spring City, Abaco. Some Abaco residents took to social media to express outrage over the exercise, labelling it as heartless while others described it as a waste of taxpayers’ money. SEE PAGE FIVE
INSIGHT THE QUEEN’S PASSING IS A MOMENT OF CHANGE
SEE PAGE EIGHT