PUZZLER WEDNESDAY $5.50 McCombos 6pc Nuggets McChicken McDouble
i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 87ºF McGriddles Sweet & Savory LOW 75ºF Mornings
CARS! CARS!
The Tribune Established 1903
Biggest And Best!
L AT E S T
Volume: 120 No.94, May 17, 2023
N E W S
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
O N
t r i b u ne 2 4 2 . c o m
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
‘Just one officer shot Azario dead’ ...but ballistics expert does not explain bullet casings found at scene By PAVEL BAILEY Tribune Staff Reporter pbailey@tribunemedia.net A FIREARMS and ballistics expert said yesterday that video footage suggests only one officer fired shots when Azario Major was killed on December 26, 2021. Dr Richard Pumerantz, of the US-based Guns & Ammo Witness Consulting, testified
as the closely-watched Coroner’s Court inquest into Azario’s killing continued. He showed surveillance footage he obtained from Azario’s family over the objections of Calvin Maynard, the lawyer representing the officers in the case. Mr Maynard argued the video had not been checked to see if it was contaminated. SEE page three
PM leans towards paternity testing for citizenship proof By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune News Editor rrolle@tribunemedia.net PRIME Minister Philip “Brave” Davis suggested his administration is leaning toward requiring genetic test results as proof of paternity for people expecting Bahamian citizenship after the Privy Council affirmed that children born to Bahamian men are citizens regardless of their
Ground broken on $200m GB hospital
mother’s nationality. “We need to ensure that the daddy is the daddy and that the daddy knows,” Mr Davis said yesterday. “The only way we’d know that is if we have some kind of a test.” The Privy Council did not address how to determine paternity in its landmark; neither did Chief Justice Ian Winder when he ruled
Prime Minister Philip ‘Brave’ Davis along with Minister of Health Michael Darville and other officials and guests broke ground at the site of the new $200m Grand Bahama hospital. Photo: Vandyke Hepburn
By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Staff Reporter
dmaycock@tribunemedia.net
GOVERNMENT officials broke ground for a new $200m hospital in Grand Bahama yesterday. Prime Minister Philip ‘Brave’ Davis said the
groundbreaking for an outpatient and urgent care facility was delayed by over a decade, calling yesterday’s event a “historic milestone” for the island. Mr Davis said the project had been continually delayed because of competing national priorities,
adding: “Today, it is proof positive that Grand Bahama is no longer on the back burner.” The hospital will be built over three phases. The first phase will consist of a nearly 60,000 sq ft clinic. Phase two will include an inpatient surgical suite
urgent care facility. The third phase will involve the construction of an acute care hospital with 126 inpatient beds. “I am pleased to start construction of the new Freeport Health Campus SEE page two
SEE page three
PI group seeks to ban Wendy’s and Marco’s By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
Atlantis has joined forces with other resorts and developers in a bid to bar the Wendy’s and Marco’s Pizza owner from converting Paradise Island’s former Scotiabank branch into a fast-food restaurant destination. Tribune Business can reveal the mega resort has teamed with fellow Paradise Island hotels,
Atlantis, Paradise Island the Ocean Club and Comfort Suites, plus Hurricane Hole’s developer in an appeal that seeks to overturn the preliminary
“change of use” permission granted to Aetos Holdings, the franchise holder for both brands, by the Town Planning Committee. All parties were yesterday said to be “waiting with bated breath” for the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board to render its verdict with Atlantis warning that permitting the former bank location to be converted into fastfood restaurants will create FULL Story - see business
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
Alicia Wallace: It’s up to us to hold the govt responsible on human rights issues PAGE EIGHT