Skip to main content

05042023 NEWS AND SPORT

Page 1

OBITUARIES THURSDAY

KRAVEN For Delivery HIGH 86ºF LOW 73ºF

i’m lovin’ it!

McGriddles

CARS! CARS!

The Tribune Established 1903

Biggest And Best!

L AT E S T

Sweet & Savory Mornings

Volume: 120 No.85, May 4, 2023

N E W S

CLASSIFIEDS TRADER

O N

t r i b u ne 2 4 2 . c o m

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1

Where you need us,

in person or online.

242.397.2100 | www.jsjohnson.com

242.397.2100 | www.jsjohnson.com

Shanty win - but for just 2 homes OAG sought demolition for more than 260 shanty sites in Nassau and Abaco By Leandra Rolle Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net CHIEF Justice Ian Winder ordered the demolition of shanty town structures belonging to just two people in The Bahamas yesterday, far fewer than the government had sought. The Office of the Attorney General wanted the Supreme Court to order the demolition of more than 260 structures in New

Burned buildings at the Bazaar demolished

Providence and Abaco that were built despite an injunction prohibiting such construction. However, the Chief Justice found that people were not properly notified of that injunction and could not be penalized for the breach. If it stands, the ruling closes one avenue the Davis administration pursued to begin eradicating shanty town structures. The onus is

ATTORNEY General Ryan Pinder said a bill addressing gender-based and domestic violence would be released for public consultation this month and is expected to pass Parliament this year. His comment came yesterday at the 43rd Session of the United Nations Human Rights Council’s Universal Periodic Review in Geneva,

SEE page five

FTX’s US chief yesterday blasted The Bahamas’ “closed legal system” and argued his team will “find it difficult to protect our rights” due to challenges in gaining approval for their chosen UK KC to act before this nation’s courts. John Ray, who oversees 134 FTX entities currently in Chapter 11 protection in Delaware, asserted that “meaningful participation” in Bahamas-based litigation involving the collapsed crypto currency exchange “may not even be possible”

Game on? Bahamians could play in casinos By Fay Simmons

SEE page three

Switzerland. Elaine Sands, a gender expert in the Ministry of Social Services Department of Gender and Family Affairs, went into greater depth about the draft bill. She said the bill would provide protection support for victims of violence, fulfilling the country’s international obligations. “The Draft Bill establishes a central authority or commission whose mandate expressly prescribes that it

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

FULL Story - See Business

Tribune Business Reporter

jsimmons@tribunemedia.net

Pinder tells UN, GBV Bill to be released to public in May By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net

FTX Chief upset UK Lawyer involvement Barred locally

The demolition of buildings that were destroyed in a fire late last year began at the International Bazaar in Freeport, Grand Bahama yesterday. For story SEE PAGE 11 Photo: Vandyke Hepburn

Gaming regulators are mulling measures to ban persons receiving welfare benefits as part of a package of reforms that would also eliminate discrimination against Bahamians playing in hotel casinos if approved. Officials from the Gaming Board, speaking yesterday at the Caribbean Gaming Conference, said they are also studying the possible removal of restrictions that presently disqualify Cabinet ministers FULL Story - See Business

Front Porch crackdown coming on National Symbols usage By LETRE SWEETING Tribune Staff Reporter lsweeting@tribunemedia.net

AUTHORITIES are seeing an increase in the unlicensed use of national symbols, with National Security Minister Wayne Munroe warning that unsanctioned use of symbols could prompt a $250 fine or a six months prison sentence. The Ministry of National Security released a statement yesterday noting

National Symbol, The Bahamas Coat of Arms that people using national symbols on merchandise connected to business or

jobs must obtain a license or written permission from the minister. Mr Munroe told The Tribune: “The Officerin-Charge of the area indicated that they’re improving enforcement of the symbols and they were noticing that there are a lot of items coming out with a flag or a Coat of Arms, and they had no record of having received an application or approval so just

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE page four

After Dorian, What is our strategy for the next storm?

page eight


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
05042023 NEWS AND SPORT by tribune242 - Issuu