business@tribunemedia.net
FRIDAY, APRIL 28, 2023
$5.74
$5.74
$5.78
Baha Mar teases Melia plan as volumes up 20% By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net BAHA Mar’s president yesterday hailed an “extraordinary first quarter” and “record March”, with 2023 business volumes up 20 percent year-over-year, as he revealed plans to redevelop the still-closed Melia resort will be unveiled imminently. Graeme Davis did not provide any details on how Baha Mar’s owner, Chow Tai Fook Enterprises (Bahamas), plans to revamp the 694-room property that was closed more than two years ago as he touted the average 90 percent occupancy achieved across its three major resort brands during March. “[There] are ongoing discussions with the Government on our Melia project next door,” he told a Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association (BHTA) directors meeting. “We look forward to hopefully announcing that very soon so stay tuned for our next report.” Robert Sands, Baha Mar’s seniorvice president of administration and external relations, subsequently told Tribune Business that an announcement may come even sooner. Declining
• Mega resort hails ‘all-time record’ March • Move on stillclosed resort is ‘imminent’ • Atlantis closes on Royal Towers finish to provide specifics on CTFE’s plans, he said: “Hopefully he’ll [Mr Davis] be able to make an announcement on that in the next week or two. It is imminent.” The Government has been pushing owners of still-closed New Providence resort properties, especially the Melia and British Colonial, to re-open as rapidly as possible and relieve the island’s present room inventory shortage which has resulted from post-COVID demand exceeding present capacity. The room inventory shortage has helped drive up rates and yields, but Dr
NASSAU/PARADISE Island hotels are eyeing a 35 percent year-over-year increase in “business on the books” for 2023, it was disclosed yesterday, with “loaded” airline seats through June also up on 2022.
Joy Jibrilu, the Nassau Paradise Island Promotion Board’s (NPIPB) chief executive, told the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association’s (BHTA) directors meeting that the industry’s performance for the 2023 first quarter “bodes well for a great year ahead”. “For business on the books for all of 2023, as it stands now we’re up 35 percent compared to last last year,” she
GRAEME DAVIS Kenneth Romer, the Ministry of Tourism, Investments and Aviation’s deputy director-general recently revealed it has been impossible to find beds for passengers on flights that have either been diverted to, or delayed in, Nassau. CTFE, also Baha Mar’s owner, is also behind the initial renovation schedule it set out for the Melia when it announced the property’s closure in mid-February 2021. It said then that the resort will close for two years to undergo a
SEE PAGE B7
disclosed. “If you’re looking at the booking pace for Nassau/ Paradise Island, it’s 30-60 days out...... For the period April to August, we’re up 22 percent. We expect those booking numbers to rise as we get closer to travel.” Turning to airlift, Mrs Jibrilu said Nassau was now among a select group of Caribbean
SEE PAGE B5
JOY JIBRILU
MSC joins Freeport deal targeting October close By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE GRAND Bahama Port Authority’s (GBPA) president yesterday said October is being targeted for completion of a $70m Freeport Harbour deal in which Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) has teamed with Royal Caribbean. Ian Rolle, addressing the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association (BHTA) in his capacity as Grand Bahama Island Tourism Board chair, confirmed that the two cruise giants have partnered with ITM Group as long-running negotiations over the project with Freeport Harbour
IAN ROLLE Company seemingly near a conclusion. “They are looking to redevelop the existing harbour,” he confirmed. “At first, ITM and Royal Caribbean were the only ones involved in this process.
SEE PAGE B5
Authorities target taxi inspection crackdown By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE “COMPLETELY antiquated” Road Traffic Act is set for a major overhaul, it was revealed yesterday, as the authorities also prepare to crack down on taxis “circumventing and bypassing” the vehicle inspection process. Lanecia Darville, the Road Traffic Authority’s chair, told a Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association (BHTA) meeting that there were vehicles on the road that “probably shouldn’t be licensed as taxis” as she acknowledged
that the sector’s regulatory framework is “absolutely critical to enhancing the transportation experience” for visitors as well as Bahamians. However, industry stakeholders also lamented the seeming lack of education among drivers seeking employment with tour operators and others. William Saunders, of Majestic Tours, questioned whether the Bahama Host certification process was properly preparing drivers as one he hired did not know where Gregory’s Arch was.
SEE PAGE B16
Taxi drivers face ‘code of conduct’ • Penalties for violators to boost visitor experience • Compliance linked to industry’s fare rise demands • Fare announcement proposal set for next week By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
Nassau/PI hotels see 35% ‘business on books’ jump By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
$5.71
TRAFFIC authorities are planning a shakeup of the taxi industry’s regulatory regime that will require drivers to sign-up to, and abide by, a “code of conduct” with an announcement on fare changes due as early as next week. Lanecia Darville, the Road Traffic Authority’s chairman, told a Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association (BHTA) board of directors meeting that the regulator agreed with the sector’s call for professional standards to be imposed on taxi franchise holders and drivers - with unspecified penalties for violations - as part of the drive to improve the transportation experience for visitors. Noting that there have been “persistent issues” involving the taxi sector’s interaction with tourists, she said that if the Government were to agree the fare increase that drivers have been demanding then it would want the sector to work with it to improve standards and conduct “in return”. With visitors frequently complaining about high taxi fares, and alleging they are being “overcharged” and unable to obtain fee schedules, Robert Sands, the BHTA’s president, said the sector’s collaboration with the Government in bid to improve the ground transportation will be “pivotal for the future success of the [tourism] industry”. With the Association’s transportation experience committee now meeting regularly with the Ministry of Transport and Housing to tackle the issue, he added: “It’s going to make a significant difference to the experience of visitors in this destination. It’s no use to continue to bring more of those people here and send more of them away dissatisfied.” Ms Darville, acknowledging that it is critical for The Bahamas to “elevate the transportation experience”, said the Road Traffic Authority is already reviewing a draft “code of conduct” for taxi drivers that has been prepared by the BHTA with the “ultimate intent” for it to roll-out industry-wide. She added that drivers and franchise holders could be
SEE PAGE B6