Skip to main content

04062023 NEWS AND SPORT

Page 1

OBITUARIES THURSDAY GRAB a Golden Filet-O-Fish! i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 84ºF LOW 70ºF McGriddles

Sweet & Savory Mornings

CARS! CARS!

The Tribune Established 1903

Biggest And Best!

L AT E S T

Volume: 120 No.67, April 6, 2023

N E W S

O N

t r i b u ne 2 4 2 . c o m

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1

‘Unlawful to detain for over 48 hours’

AG says govt abiding by law - so no immigration change after ruling by Privy Council By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune News Editor rrolle@tribunemedia.net ATTORNEY General Ryan Pinder said a new Privy Council ruling would not change current immigration detention practices because the government has complied with the law in recent times - despite the ruling being hailed as a “landmark” by Fred Smith, KC.

The Privy Council ruled yesterday that Kenyan national Douglas Ngumi was unlawfully detained for all but two days while officials organised his deportation, breaking with the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal, which found it was reasonable to detain him for at least three months while arranging his removal from the country.

By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net THE head of the hotel union has a message for Atlantis executives who want workers to speak out against Royal Caribbean International’s proposed Paradise Island project: “Put your placards on and go do what you (are) telling us to do.” “Lead and we will follow

you … maybe,” said Darrin Woods, the president of the Bahamas Hotel Catering and Allied Workers Union (BHCAWU). Mr Woods’ comment yesterday came after Atlantis president and managing director Audrey Oswell urged staff in a letter to speak out and “make their voices” heard on the project, which has been approved subject to SEE page seven

Resorts see significant rise in room demand By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

Resorts are enjoying room rates that are 10-15 percent higher than preCOVID levels because “the perfect storm of demand is working for The Bahamas”, a senior hotelier said yesterday. Robert Sands, the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association’s (BHTA) president, told Tribune Business that an increase in how long stopover visitors spend in this nation - anywhere from one to two days more - is also making “a significant difference” to the industry’s performance as it enters the peak Easter holiday period. FUL Story - see business

Stats show High rate of success on boat rescues

SEE page seven

UNION: ‘Lead and we will follow you… maybe’

CLASSIFIEDS TRADER

By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net

US Embassy building on pace for early 2024 completion THE new $310m US Embassy building on East Hill Street will be completed by 2024, officials according to US Chargé d’Affaires Usha Pitts who accompanied reporters on a tour of the 90,000 sq ft compound, highlighting its “climate-sensitive details”. Ms. Pitts (right) is pictured here with project director Stephen Ziegenfuss (left). See FULL STORY Page Three. Photo: Moise Amisial

THE Royal Bahamas Defence Force and its partners rescued 243 locals who were in distress at sea over the past four years, failing to locate only ten people presumed to have died. Commodore Raymond King discussed the success rate of search and rescue efforts with The Tribune after officials ended their search for two Bimini men, James Toote, Jr, and Naz’r Robins, who disappeared while travelling from Grand Bahama to Bimini last month. SEE page five

AG considering fine over sunken ship off Abaco HAPPY EASTER By JADE RUSSELL Tribune Staff Reporter jrussell@tribunemedia.net

ATTORNEY General Ryan Pinder said his office is considering fining the owners of a ship that sank off Abaco late last year and has yet to be removed. The Onego Traveller, which is registered in Antigua and Barbuda, sank with heavy fuel on board on December 29, 2022. In February, Mr Pinder

Attorney General Ryan Pinder said the government ordered the ship to be

removed from The Bahamas within 45 days. Yesterday, he said: “The ship is still in our waters. We have been advised that a salvage company has been selected and will begin work on the salvage of the ship. We are looking at the possibility of imposing fines for their delay.” He said officials couldn’t give a proper environmental assessment of the

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE page five

to all our readers and advertisers Our next edition will be out on Tuesday, April 11


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
04062023 NEWS AND SPORT by tribune242 - Issuu