PUZZLER WEDNESDAY
$5.50 McCombos 6pc Nuggets McChicken McDouble
i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 80ºF LOW 69ºF McGriddles
Sweet & Savory Mornings
CARS! CARS!
The Tribune
Volume: 120 No.56, March 22, 2023
Established 1903
Biggest And Best!
L AT E S T
N E W S
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
Bahamas joins lawsuit demanding US gun makers... PI LIGHTHOUSE
‘PAY UP $10BN’
‘OVERSUBSCRIBED’ BY 300 PERCENT SMITH SAYS By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE BAHAMIAN entrepreneur seeking to restore Paradise Island’s lighthouse yesterday revealed his financing needs have been “oversubscribed by more than 300 percent”, as he urged the Government: “Make good on our deal.” Toby Smith, Paradise Island Lighthouse and Beach Club’s principal, told Tribune Business his proposed investment has been “upped” from $2m to $3m and stands “ready to go” at “a stroke of the pen” once Prime Minister Philip Davis KC signs-off on the approvals that remain outstanding. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
‘THERE’S BEEN NO FINAL DECISION’ ON RCI PI PROJECT
Case holds manufacturers accountable for harm caused by their products THE Bahamas has joined a $10bn lawsuit to hold US gun manufacturers to account for the spread of firearms throughout the region, Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis said last night. Mr Davis issued a statement in which he said the government was joining an appeal in the United States Court of Appeal in the First Circuit in support of Mexico “to hold US gun manufacturers liable for the harm caused by their products”. Also joining in the amicus curiae brief (friend of the court) were Antigua and Barbuda, St Vincent and the
Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago. The defendants in the $10bn suit include seven major gun manufacturers and one gun wholesaler and distributor. The case was dismissed in the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts in September last year, finding that the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act barred such lawsuits, but the Mexican government in its appeal “maintains that the arms industry should be accountable for how their products are distributed and SEE PAGE FOUR
By LETRE SWEETING Tribune Staff Reporter lsweeting@tribunemedia.net
SOME of the guns (above) put on display after being seized by police previously in The Bahamas and Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis speaking last year at the United Nations on the issue of gun smuggling.
YOUTH, Sports and Culture Minister Mario Bowleg says Cabinet has not approved Royal Caribbean International’s Paradise Island project. His comment was in response to Glenys Hanna Martin’s vocal opposition to the project, which critics say breaks the procedure that ministers present a united front on Cabinet decisions. “There’s been no final decision made on that deal, so I don’t even know why it’s up for discussion right now,” Mr Bowleg said before a Cabinet meeting yesterday. “It’s again a deal SEE PAGE FIVE
TWO BIMINI MEN MISSING AT SEA By LYNAIRE MUNNINGS Tribune Staff Reporter lmunnings@tribunemedia.net
THE family of two men who went missing on Sunday while travelling from Grand Bahama to Bimini are praying they will be safely found. James Toote, Jr, and Nazar Robins, were travelling to Bimini at about 2.30pm on Sunday. According to family, Mr Toote had recently purchased the
ALICIA WALLACE: NAZAR Robins
JAMES TOOTE, Jr
vessel in Grand Bahama and Mr Robins was “catching a ride” to their hometown in Bimini. Renee Robins, the
mother of 24-year-old Nazar Robins, told The Tribune yesterday that she
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE FIVE
TECHNOLOGICAL OPPORTUNITIES, CHALLENGES AND BARRIERS FOR EQUALITY - SEE PAGE EIGHT