WOMAN & HEALTH TUESDAY
Indulge in a DESSERT MOMENT i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 84ºF LOW 69ºF McGriddles
Sweet & Savory Mornings
CARS! CARS!
The Tribune Established 1903
Biggest And Best!
L AT E S T
Volume: 120 No.45, March 7, 2023
N E W S
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
TWO SHOT DEAD IN FOX HILL PARK
One victim was out on bail for several murders By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net
TWO men were shot dead last night in Fox Hill Park - including one man that police say was on bail for several murders. Officer-in-charge of the Criminal Investigation Department Chief Superintendent Michael Johnson said the man on bail was being monitored at the time but the other victim was not known to police last night.
Chief Supt Johnson told reporters on the scene that sometime around 8.45pm police received information of gunshots being discharged in the area of the park in Fox Hill. “When the officers arrived on the scene, they met the lifeless body of two individuals, two males that were just north of the park. EMS was called, examined the bodies and found no signs of life,” he said. SEE PAGE TWO
‘PARLIAMENT WAS MISLED BY DAVIS’
By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net
FREE National Movement leader Michael Pintard yesterday accused Prime Minister Phillip Davis of misleading Parliament last week when he said the Minnis administration hired an unlicensed company to collect immigration-related fees on
behalf of the government. As he was contributing to debate on the mid-year budget in the House of Assembly yesterday, Mr Pintard spent much of his speech lashing out at Mr Davis for misrepresenting the facts in an attempt to make the public believe that he had “uncovered yet another major scandal”. Mr Pintard was referring SEE PAGE THREE
A BODY is removed from the scene last night in Fox Hill Park after a shooting left two men dead. Photo: Austin Fernander
DEBT-TO-GDP LOWERED BY LARODA AGAIN PUTS CASE A FIFTH, REPORTS GOVT FOR ACTION ON NIB FUNDS By LETRE SWEETING Tribune Staff Reporter lsweeting@tribunemedia.net
PRIME Minister Philip “Brave” Davis commended his administration’s fiscal performance compared to that of the former
administration’s pre-pandemic levels, telling the Opposition: “There is a reason why we are here and you there.” Mr Davis, also the Minister of Finance, closed out SEE PAGE THREE
By LETRE SWEETING Tribune Staff Reporter lsweeting@tribunemedia.net
MYLES Laroda, state minister with responsibility for the National Insurance Board, yesterday continued to advocate for increased
contributions for the agency’s fund to avoid an $98m loss this year. In his contribution to Parliament yesterday Mr Laroda said he spoke to several former government SEE PAGE FIVE
DELAY POSSIBLE ON HEALTHCARE VAT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
THE GOVERNMENT “may not” implement the new VAT treatment for medical insurance claims payouts by its April 1 target, it was revealed yesterday, with the decision hinging on a meeting with healthcare stakeholders later this week. Simon Wilson, the Ministry of Finance’s financial
secretary, told Tribune Business the Government is hoping to “have a resolution” after it meets with multiple industry groups over a proposed change many fear will increase medicine and treatment costs for patients while reducing access to, and the affordability of, private medical care. Confirming that the Davis administration is seeking to meet with doctors, dentists and pharmacists, and
not just health insurers and their representatives, he confirmed that the event is presently being scheduled for Thursday. Asked by this newspaper whether the new VAT treatment’s implementation will be delayed beyond April 1, Mr Wilson replied: “It may be, but we’ll see after this meeting. We will have a discussion with a wider group.” FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
FACE TO FACE:
LONISE CAREY; BAHAMIAN WOMAN MAKING INTL’ HISTORY PAGE EIGHT