PUZZLER WEDNESDAY
Golden Delicious Fries! i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 83ºF McGriddles Sweet & Savory LOW 68ºF Mornings
CARS! CARS!
The Tribune Established 1903
Biggest And Best!
L AT E S T
Volume: 120 No.41, March 1, 2023
N E W S
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
‘HEALTH CARE STRUGGLES AFTER RECENT SHOOTINGS’
FNM chairman calls for joint focus - as new hospitals announced By JADE RUSSELL Tribune Staff Reporter jrussell@tribunemedia.net FORMER Health Minister Dr Duane Sands said a recent spate in shootings has affected public health services and a joint focus on crime and healthcare is needed. There has been a series of shooting incidents in recent weeks, with many victims having to seek treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital. Dr Sands’ comments come as Prime Minister
Derelict demolished to crack down on crime
Philip “Brave” Davis last night announced that ground will be broken for a new hospital in New Providence in June, and in Grand Bahama within a month. Mr Davis was speaking at a PLP branch meeting in Killarney. Dr Sands, the Free National Movement chairman, told The Tribune that because of a limitation of staff, the operating rooms at Princess Margaret Hospital and Rand Memorial SEE PAGE FOUR
CARICOM TRIP TO HAITI HAILED A SUCCESS BY PM By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net THE CARICOM delegation’s trip to Haiti on Monday was a success, said Prime Minister and CARICOM chairman Philip Davis, adding that it marks the beginning of a journey that will help pave the way towards the holding of free and fair elections in Haiti. The high-level delegation, led by Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness, consisted of representatives from The Bahamas
and Trinidad and Tobago, left for Haiti on Monday to meet with politicians and other officials there to discuss security issues facing the country. National Security Minister Wayne Munroe and Immigration Minister Keith Bell were among the delegation. But the group did not stay overnight, with some of the delegation members returning to The Bahamas later that day. Mr Davis described the mission as a “success” and SEE PAGE THREE
AN DILAPIDATED home was demolished by Urban Renewal yesterday as a preventive measure against criminal activity in the Bain and Grants Town area. Full story SEE PAGE FIVE. Photo: Austin Fernander
POLICE OFFICER IN CUSTODY OVER INCEST ALLEGATIONS A MEMBER of the Royal Bahamas Police Force is in custody and being questioned at the Criminal Investigations Department for alleged incestuous behaviour. In a statement issued last night, the RBPF said an investigation is ongoing and further updates will be provided on completion of the probe, describing the individual as a sub-officer.
On Tuesday, The Tribune reported that police were investigating allegations that a man allegedly raped his daughter. At the time, a police officer said the man was not in custody. Reports circulating online alleged the man is a police officer, however a representative from the RBPF could not confirm this earlier this week.
COMPLETE AT LAST! PAVING WORK ON VILLAGE ROAD DONE By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net
AFTER several delays, major work for the Village Road Improvement Project is finally completed, marking the end of a long, frustrating journey for motorists and business owners in the area.
However, several weeks of minor works remain to be completed, including signage, striping and traffic lights. Albrion Symonette, Jr, resident engineer of the Village Road Improvement Project, told reporters yesterday that paving of the road was completed. SEE PAGE TWO
GOV’S ONLINE PORTAL CALLED ‘A HORROR’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
THE ATTORNEY General yesterday conceded that long-standing problems with the Registrar General’s Department’s online portal “are beyond our control” as lawyers and realtors branded the situation “a horror”. Ryan Pinder KC, in a messaged reply to Tribune Business, said he “understands the frustration” over
sisted for up to “six months”
and cost associated with real estate transactions. He pledged that the Government is “doing whatever we can to rectify” the issues caused by the Registrar General’s portal going offline since last summer, which has left attorneys, in particular, unable to conduct rapid and relatively inexpensive searches for title deeds and particular conveyancing documents.
and increased both the time
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
ATTORNEY General Ryan Pinder woes that private sector executives say have per-
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
ALICIA WALLACE: ‘EMBRACE EQUITY’ AT INTL’ WOMEN’S DAY MARCH AND EXPO
- SEE PAGE EIGHT