PUZZLER WEDNESDAY Triple Breakfast Stacks i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 83ºF LOW 69ºF
CARS! CARS!
The Tribune Established 1903
L AT E S T
N E W S
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
Biggest And Best!
Volume: 120 No.36, February 22, 2023
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
WHY THE NO-SHOW AT PAC?
FNM CHAIRMAN: ELEUTHERA WATER WOES DUE TO NEGLECT By LYNAIRE MUNNINGS Tribune Staff Reporter lmunnings@tribunemedia.net AFTER reports of days of water disruption in South and Central Eleuthera, Free National Movement Chairman Dr Duane Sands called out the government for “neglecting” residents. The Water and Sewerage Corporation previously said a “major failure” on Friday at the Tarpum Bay desalination plant contributed to the disruption within the communities. In a statement posted to its Facebook page yesterday, WSC said water supply restoration for customers in Rock Sound and Tarpum Bay commenced at 7.30am on Tuesday. SEE PAGE FOUR
Pintard wants answers as Attorney General advises PS to stay away FREE National Movement leader Michael Pintard is “concerned” that Permanent Secretary Luther Smith was a “no show” before the Public Accounts Committee yesterday. He said Mr Smith’s non-appearance was on the instructions of Attorney General Ryan Pinder, adding that the committee will review the matter and soon advise what next steps it will take. When contacted last night, Mr Pinder said: “The scope of the request was not compliant with the parliamentary rules governing the PAC.” Mr Pinder said he was
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
also advised that Mr Smith was only made aware of the request to appear before the committee on Monday. The PAC met yesterday with Mr Pintard, East Grand Bahama MP Kwasi Thompson and Central Grand Bahama MP Iram Lewis present. According to a press release from Mr Pintard yesterday, he received a letter from the clerk of the House of Assembly which suggested that “the Attorney General (Ryan Pinder) instructed the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Public Works Mr Luther Smith not to attend the scheduled Public SEE PAGE THREE
MAN IN CUBAN PRISON PLEADS FOR BAHAMIAN JAIL TRANSFER By LETRE SWEETING lsweeting@tribunemedia.net
FREE National Movement Leader, Michael Pintard speaks to reporters outside the House of Assembly Monday. He is asking for answers on why the Permanent Secretary Luther Smith was a ‘no show’ before the Public Accounts Committee. Photo: Moise Amisial
A BAHAMIAN man being held in a Cuban prison on drug charges is pleading for the families of the Bahamian prisoners in detention there to peacefully protest outside the Cuban Embassy in an effort to get transferred to The Bahamas to serve their sentences. Omar Chisolm, who has been incarcerated in the maximum security El Combinado del Este Prison in Havana, Cuba, since April 2021 is seeking to be transferred to the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services near SEE PAGE SEVEN
FOULKES CALLS PM CLAIM ‘UNTRUTH’ By JADE RUSSELL Tribune Staff Reporter jrussell@tribunemedia.net FORMER Governor General Sir Arthur Foulkes yesterday dismissed Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis’ claims that the opposition left the 1972 independence conference in London, saying it’s a “persistent” untruth. Sir Arthur in an interview with The Tribune responded to comments
FORMER Governor General Sir Arthur Foulkes made on Monday about the 1972 independence conference.
Mr Davis during a debate in the House of Assembly said that the opposition left quickly on the completion of the conference. In a 2014 Tribune editorial, it was reported that Foreign Affairs Minister Fred Mitchell also described the FNM members’ hurried departure from London on the completion of the 1972 independence conference at Marlborough House. The inference in this
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
ALICIA WALLACE:
HUMAN RIGHTS NEED TO BE HONOURED OVER VOTES AND POWER - SEE PAGE EIGHT