WEDNESDAY
McCombo of the
Day
i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 83ºF LOW 69ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:117 No.61, FEBRUARY 19TH, 2020
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
ALICIA WALLACE: STORY BEHIND WHISPERED SECRETS
Nygard: ‘Dozens more victims’ Lawyers reveal over 100 women have come forward to accuse him By TRIBUNE REPORTER DOZENS of women have come forward to accuse Peter Nygard of sexual misconduct since lawyers in New York filed a class action lawsuit against the fashion mogul, according to a lawyer in the case. In a statement to The Tribune yesterday in response to emailed questions, Greg Gutzler, co-counsel for the women, said: “Since filing a rape and sex trafficking class action lawsuit last week against Canadian fashion mogul, Peter Nygard, on behalf
of ten women, we have received information from over 100 witnesses, including dozens of (alleged) victims, who have come forward with additional evidence relating to alleged rape and sexual abuse. “In addition, the allegations in the complaint are accurate, verified and corroborated, following years of independent investigation. The brave women who have stepped forward thus far made the choice to hold Nygard responsible for his actions, regardless of his attempts to intimidate them into silence.” SEE PAGE THREE
NATIONAL Security Minister Marvin Dames yesterday confirmed the Royal Bahamas Police Force has arrested people in relation to a spate of recent armed robberies and home invasions in the capital. He made the statement at a press conference with the National Neighbourhood Watch Council (NNWC), where he highlighted how the
organisation has contributed to “some positive turn of events” in local communities. “Just recently we would have had a few incidents – very alarming incidents – of great concern to all of us in a number of our communities,” he said. “Where there are neighbourhood watch groups they have been very active (and) the co-chairs as well as the police liaison officers have been in these communities. SEE PAGE TEN
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net DEPUTY prime minister Peter Turnquest is “very confident” The Bahamas will resolve its blacklisting by individual European Union (EU) members after it yesterday completed its escape from the bloc’s tax watch-list. Mr Turnquest told Tribune Business that this nation was “making progress in addressing the issues” - including “distrust” - that led both France and the Netherlands to place it on their own individual “blacklists” of countries deemed non cooperative on tax matters. Disclosing that their concerns have now been identified, Mr Turnquest said they related to “similar issues that we’ve had in the past with respect to the exchange of [tax] information”. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
JOHNSON’S $220M HIT FOR CLAIMS IN DORIAN
SUSPECTS HELD FOR STRING OF RECENT HOME INVASIONS
By FARRAH JOHNSON fjohnson@tribunemedia.net
EU’S LISTING LIFTED - NOW FOR FRANCE AND HOLLAND
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
11 YEARS FOR ERICKA KILLER LEO RODERICK JOHNSON, above outside court yesterday, was sentenced to 11 years in jail for stabbing former Tribune employee Ericka Fowler to death in August 2006. Full story - Page 5 Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff
MILLER - I’LL WIN EASILY IN TALL PINES By KHRISNA RUSSELL Tribune Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
FORMER PLP Member of Parliament Leslie Miller says he’s certain he can win the Tall Pines constituency by at least 500 votes in the 2022 general election. Mr Miller told The Tribune he can do it whether or not the PLP allows him to run on its ticket. He said his prospects are just as good under party affiliation as
EX-PLP MP Leslie Miller they are being an independent candidate. Representing the party is
his first preference, but the 70-year-old politician said he has no issues with running as an independent if the party chooses someone else. Mr Miller was contacted yesterday after photos circulated on social media of him visiting residents in Tall Pines. The former Bahamas Electricity Corporation executive chairman said constituents have been calling and asking him when they could receive another visit.
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE SEVEN
JS JOHNSON’S underwriting affiliate suffered just a $105,787 net loss for 2020 despite incurring more than $220m in insurance claims, it was revealed yesterday. The BISX-listed broker and agent, unveiling its results for the full year and fourth quarter, said its reinsurance programme had minimised the losses sustained by Insurance Company of The Bahamas (ICB) due to the category five storm. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
TECHNOLOGY
SPACEX AIMS FOR SUPER HIGH ORBIT
SEE PAGE NINE