WEEKEND FRIDAY World Famous Fries
HIGH 83ºF LOW 71ºF
i’m lovin’ it!
Monday,
February
CARS! CARS!
8, 2021
The Tribune Established
Being Bound To
Swear To The Dogmas
1903
Of No Master
The Tribune L A T E S T
N E W S
tise Call
To Adver
-2351
601-0007 or 502
Starting at
$33.60
Established 1903
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
Biggest And Best!
Volume: 120 No.28, February 10, 2023
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
ed
VAT includ
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
SUSPECT HELD FOR THREATS TO PM
A 58-YEAR-OLD male resident of Carmichael Road is in custody being questioned in connection with last week’s death threats against Prime Minister Phillip Davis, according to police. In a statement released yesterday, police said the suspect was arrested on Wednesday, adding that investigations are continuing. His arrest comes less than a week after the Prime Minister’s office received two anonymous calls from someone who threatened to kill Mr Davis. Police Commissioner Clayton Fernander said during an
emergency press conference last Friday the caller was believed to be a male. “Both calls came in, one right after the other about 15 minutes apart, threatening to kill the nation’s leader,” Commissioner Fernander said at the time. “We, as Bahamians, it shouldn’t happen. When you’re talking about threatening the nation’s leader and we as Bahamians, how we got to this level in threatening individuals and you can go beyond the prime minister and individuals and we take this very seriously.” SEE PAGE THREE
“MORE must be done” to deal with violence in schools, said Bahamas Union of Teachers president Belinda Wilson yesterday, following a stabbing at an Abaco high school this week. Police reported on Wednesday that a 17-yearold student in Abaco was stabbed by another student of the same age while on the playing field. After the stabbing,
Education Minister Glenys Hanna-Martin said she asked officials to consider placing police officers at the school where the incident occurred. Officers did not name the school where the stabbing took place, but said the incident happened around 10am on Tuesday. However, Mrs Wilson said it happened at SC Bootle High School in Coopers Town, Abaco. She said: “What is very disturbing though is that the teachers were not SEE PAGE FOUR
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net CASH assets held by FTX’s Bahamian subsidiary were “materially depleted” to the extent they shrank by 76 percent - or more than three-quarters - in the five weeks immediately prior to the crypto exchange’s implosion. FTX Digital Markets’ provisional liquidators, in their first interim report to the Supreme Court, revealed they have to-date located $219.5m in bankdeposited cash in The Bahamas and abroad compared to the $927.9m shown in the company’s management accounts at October 5, 2022. That represents a negative $708.4m swing. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
TAXIS AND VENDORS ON LICENCE FAST TRACK
‘MORE MUST BE DONE’ TO STOP SCHOOL VIOLENCE By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net
FTX ASSETS DEPLETED BY 75% AHEAD OF COLLAPSE
By JADE RUSSELL Tribune Staff Reporter jrussell@tribunemedia.net
JUNIOR JUNKANOO IS BACK JUNIOR Junkanoo returned to Bay Street in style last night. Dancers are seen on the route last night. See PAGE FIVE for results and more photographs. Photo: Moise Amisial
ECONOMIC Affairs Minister Michael Halkitis revealed yesterday that business licence applications for taxi drivers, straw vendors, and roadside vendors will be fast-tracked - while only 3,000 of 33,000 applications have been approved so far. During a press briefing at the Prime Minister’s Office Mr Halkitis said all business applications will be dealt with by or before March 31, which is when current licences will become invalid. SEE PAGE FOUR
MAILBOAT RUNS AGROUND OFF EGG ISLAND By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net
A GROUP of passengers and crew members had to be evacuated from the M/V Legacy after the mailboat ran aground in waters near Egg Island off Spanish Wells, Eleuthera, on Wednesday morning. The boat was reportedly en route to Marsh Harbour, Abaco, from New Providence with heavy cargo
AN AERIAL view of the stranded mailboat, M/V Legacy. onboard when the incident occurred. The Ministry of Transport and Housing said in a
statement yesterday that reports indicated the vessel lost generation power while en route. Emergency plans were later activated after officials were alerted to the incident, the ministry added. “The Ministry is advised that the cargo on board includes 4,500 gallons of diesel fuel, five vehicles, a tar truck and other miscellaneous cargo items,” the ministry said. SEE PAGE FOUR
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SUPER BOWL LVII SPECIAL
INSIDE TODAY