Skip to main content

02092023 NEWS AND SPORT

Page 1

OBITUARIES THURSDAY Sweet TREATS: McFlurry Pies Sundaes

i’m lovin’ it!

Monday,

February

CARS! CARS!

8, 2021

The Tribune Established

Being Bound To

Swear To The Dogmas

1903

Of No Master

The Tribune

HIGH 82ºF LOW 67ºF McGriddles Sweet & Savory Volume: 120 No.27, February 9, 2023 Mornings

L A T E S T

N E W S

tise Call

To Adver

-2351

601-0007 or 502

Starting at

$33.60

CLASSIFIEDS TRADER

ed

VAT includ

Established 1903

O N

T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M

Biggest And Best!

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1

HOUSE HALTED BY FNM PROTEST

Speaker suspends business as MPs chant ‘answer the questions’ By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net THE House of Assembly was suspended yesterday morning after a screaming match erupted when Opposition Leader

Michael Pintard chastised the government for avoiding the question and answer period in Parliament. Shortly after House proceedings began, Mr Pintard questioned government MPs whether

they intended to honour its commitment to allow for question time. However, Obie Wilchcome, who is leader of government business in the House of Assembly, told parliamentarians he had informed Mr Pintard

that the government intended to lay several bills and adjourn proceedings until February 20. He said when they returned on that date, the government would answer questions posed by the opposition.

However, Mr Pintard did not accept this explanation yesterday, saying he was assured that Parliament would proceed with question time during Wednesday’s sitting. SEE PAGE THREE

LIQUIDATORS PROBE $7.7BN IN FTX WITHDRAWALS By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

FTX’s Bahamian liquidators are probing whether $7.7bn was withdrawn from its local subsidiary via “legitimate” transactions as they yesterday revealed virtually all countries are represented in its 2.4m-strong client base.

Brian Simms KC, the Lennox Paton senior partner, and PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)

accountants Kevin Cambridge and Peter Greaves, in their first interim report to the Supreme Court said they are having difficulty untangling FTX Digital Markets assets from those owned by clients because of the crypto exchange’s habit of “commingling” funds. The trio, in particular, said they are examining

whether $5.6bn worth of transactions between FTX Digital Markets and other entities in the group, and a further $2.1bn transferred to related parties, were improper or conducted for legal, appropriate reasons. And, pointing to the shambles that passed for corporate governance under FTX co-founder, Sam

Bankman-Fried, and his close associates, they added that “limited controls” meant they were currently unable to determine how much of the $219.5m cash held in various FTX Digital Markets bank accounts belonged to the Bahamian subsidiary as opposed to its investor clients. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

DECADES IN JAIL FOR KILLERS OF ZNS HOST By PAVEL BAILEY Tribune Court Reporter pbailey@tribunemedia.net THE KILLERS of a ZNS broadcaster were yesterday sentenced to decades in jail. Richard Bevans, 34, was sentenced by the Supreme Court to 48 years in prison for the deadly 2016 robbery of Scott Richards, while Raquel Johnson, 36, was sentence to 28 years jail time. Bevans was represented by attorney Roberto Reckley, and Johnson by attorney Nathan Smith as they appeared before Justice Cheryl GrantThompson for sentencing yesterday. This comes after a jury of nine found both accused guilty on charges of murder and armed robbery in July last year in connection with the death of the 48-year-old broadcaster. SEE PAGE FIVE

GOVT MOVES TO 50-50 SPLIT ON TREASURE By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

A MULTI-MILLION underwater explorer yesterday said it is “still evaluating the economics” after the government moved to double its share from treasure salvaging in Bahamian waters. David Concannon, Allen Exploration Group’s spokesperson, said it had “ongoing discussions” as the government sought yesterday to move from a 75/25 split between the explorer and the government to 50/50. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

POLICE MAY BE PLACED AT SCHOOL AFTER STABBING By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net

AFTER a high school student was stabbed on campus in Abaco this week, Education Minister Glenys Hanna-Martin said she’s asked officials to consider placing police officers at the school where the incident occurred. Police reported yesterday that a 17-year-old student in Abaco was stabbed by another student of the same

GLENYS Hanna Martin yesterday. Photo: Moise Amisial age while on the playing field.

Officers did not name the school where the stabbing took place, but said the incident happened around 10am on Tuesday. The victim was taken to a local clinic after the incident and was treated and later discharged. Meanwhile, a 17-year-old student is in custody and assisting police with their investigations. Commenting on the stabbing yesterday, Mrs Hanna-Martin noted that SEE PAGE FOUR

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

FRONT PORCH: EMANCIPATION AND EDUCATION NEEDED

PAGE EIGHT


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
02092023 NEWS AND SPORT by tribune242 - Issuu