OBITUARIES THURSDAY Grab a Golden Filet McGriddles
HIGH 83ºF Sweet & Savory Mornings LOW 67ºF
i’m lovin’ it!
Monday,
February
CARS! CARS!
8, 2021
The Tribune Established
Being Bound To
Swear To The Dogmas
1903
Of No Master
The Tribune L A T E S T
N E W S
tise Call
To Adver
-2351
601-0007 or 502
Starting at
$33.60
Established 1903
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
Biggest And Best!
Volume: 120 No.22, February 2, 2023
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
ed
VAT includ
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
DAVIS: IT’S YOUR FAULT, DR MINNIS PM blames hospital woes on former administration
By TANEKA THOMPSON Tribune News Editor tmthompson@tribunemedia.net PRIME Minister Philip Davis accused the Minnis administration of neglecting Princess Margaret Hospital during its four years in office, but charged that he will “fix” the problems left behind. As he wrapped up debate on the Nurses and Midwives Bill in the House of Assembly last night, he hit back at criticism from former Prime
Minister Dr Hubert Minnis about the state of disrepair and crisis PMH is in. He laid the blame for the current issues at the public hospital at Dr Minnis’ feet. His remarks sparked a heated row in the House of Assembly as Dr Minnis sought to rebut what he called “wrong information” about his term in office. “He had four years,” Mr Davis said.
PRIME Minister Philip Davis said the success of a firearms task force will make fighting illegal weapons more likely by providing a coordinated and comprehensive approach to the problem. Mr Davis spoke at the launch of the Firearms Anti-Gang Task Force Unit yesterday, which he called a “momentous occasion”. “It represents our
SEE PAGE FOUR
THE government’s top finance official yesterday reiterated his optimism that “no new tax measures” will be required to grow its revenues by some 43 percent to over $4bn during the next four years. Simon Wilson, the Ministry of Finance’s financial secretary, told Tribune Business that closing the “VAT gap” and stricter compliance and enforcement are among the initiatives that will enable the Davis administration to expand the Public Treasury’s income by almost $1.2bn between now and the 2026-2027 fiscal year. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
continued commitment to the safety and security of our citizens and to focus on intercepting and preventing the illegal trade of firearms. These efforts aim to create a safer, more secure future for all Bahamians,” he said at police headquarters. He acknowledged the impact of illegal weapons smuggling is significant and can be seen in the increase in violent crimes, gang activities, and overall insecurity in communities. SEE PAGE SEVEN
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
$150M COST OF GOVT FUEL HEDGE DECISION
FIREARMS TASK FORCE ‘TO CREATE SAFER BAHAMAS’ By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net
‘NO NEW TAX MEASURES REQUIRED’ BY GOVERNMENT
PRIME Minister Philip “Brave” Davis and US Chargé d’Affairs Usha Pitts cutting the ribbon to mark the opening of the Firearms Anti-Gang Task Force Unit yesterday. Photo: Moise Amisial
BAHAMIANS have been burdened with a $150m bill due to the mishandling of Bahamas Power & Light’s (BPL) fuel hedging strategy, it was revealed yesterday. The full cost was branded “a significant unbudgeted liability” in the just-released Fiscal Strategy Report, which said BPL’s arrears must be paid off to prevent electricity being interrupted. “The recent disclosure of approximately $150m of payment arrears of Bahamas Power & Light (BPL) represents a significant unbudgeted liability of the government,” the report said. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
‘MANGO SEASON GIRLS’ ARRESTED, SAYS BELL By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net
FOUR Jamaican women, known as the “Mango Season Girls,” were arrested last month for working illegally in the country as a part of government operations to stamp out illegal immigration, Immigration Minister Keith Bell revealed in the House of Assembly yesterday. The women have since been charged, deported and
LABOUR and Immigration Minister Keith Bell. placed on the restricted list, Mr Bell added. He said their detainment came after officers raided a number of “dancing
clubs” as a part of a wider operation to crack down on foreigners living in The Bahamas without the necessary documentation. “Investigations indicate that some of these clubs illegally employ persons who enter the country as a visitor and also overstay the time granted by immigration to remain in the country,” he said during his communication in the House of Assembly.
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
FRONT PORCH: RESPONSIBILITIES OF A FREE PRESS
PAGE EIGHT