01272020 NEWS

Page 1

MONDAY McCombo of the

Day

i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 77ºF LOW 67ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:117 No.44, JANUARY 27TH, 2020

HO US E & 16

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

INSIGHT: WILL MINNIS STILL BE IN CHARGE IN 2022?

PAGES

Students caught in Chinese virus city By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

AS THE coronavirus death toll in China climbs, officials will continue to monitor the travel history of every visitor to The Bahamas, but there are no plans at this time to evacuate Bahamians studying in Wuhan, where the outbreak originated. According to Health Minister Dr Duane Sands, the government does not intend to increase entry screenings as international bodies say this preventative method is not terribly effective. There are no direct flights from China to The Bahamas, and visitors from that country heading here would be screened prior to arrival, Dr Sands said. Nine Bahamian students

are studying in Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, however only five are currently in the city as schools in China are on break. The deadly virus outbreak has caused utter “fright” and concern for at least one Bahamian student currently studying in Wuhan. The student’s concern was posted in a group on Facebook. “…We came to China to better ourselves to come home to serve our country,” the student wrote. “An opportunity years ago that no one ever foresaw this would happen now in 2020. It is not airborne. It is a transferable virus as in a person needs to come into contact with someone or something that has it.

KENDAL and Christine Rolle were relieved last April when Coroner’s Court jurors found that a police constable killed their son unlawfully. But, in the nine months since then, their relief has turned to anguish. The Office of the Attorney General has not made a public move in the case and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions has not charged the officer with a crime. The lack of closure, the will-they-or-won’t-they

SEE PAGE FIVE

By LEANDRA ROLLE lrolle@tribunemedia.net

CANADIAN fashion mogul Peter Nygard is facing two separate lawsuits after being accused of sexual assault. In the first lawsuit filed, which was obtained by The Tribune, a woman identified as Jane Doe accused Nygard of having sex with her while she was a minor at his California home. The lawsuit stated that Nygard, fully aware she was under 18, still engaged in sexual intercourse with her, not allowing her to leave his residence. According to the lawsuit, another incident occurred when Nygard instructed her to have sex with another individual in New York so SEE PAGE THREE

By LEANDRA ROLLE lrolle@tribunemedia.net

SEE PAGE THREE

questions that persist, are taking their toll on the Rolle family. Sometimes, the grieving mother says, all she can do is cry. “I work for myself, and sometimes I’m serving my customers and the tears are uncontrollable and I’m there trying my best to console myself, to wipe my eyes, but they just keep coming,” she said. Police were searching for Nathaniel Miller when Osworth Rolle, 22, was killed in Nassau Village on November 30, 2016. He was shot three times, twice in his face and once in his chest.

NYGARD IN TWO NEW SEX WRITS

BODIES FIND AFTER BOAT CAPSIZES

STILL WAITING ANSWERS ON SON’S UNLAWFUL KILLING By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

HOME

SO, SO SAD

BASKETBALL legend Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna were among nine people killed in a helicopter crash in California yesterday. For full coverage, see Page 14 and Sport

THOUSANDS HIT BY WATER BREAKDOWN By LEANDRA ROLLE lrolle@tribunemedia.net

THOUSANDS of homes in Eastern New Providence were left without water yesterday after a major supply pipe fractured caused the road to collapse around it. Families woke up to discover there was no water for bathing, toilets or cooking and the situation remained like that throughout the day as Water and Sewerage teams carried

PROBLEMS on Prince Charles Drive yesterday out urgent repairs. The break in supply occurred on Prince Charles Drive near

Sammy’s restaurant around 1am yesterday. According to an area resident a driver was travelling on Prince Charles Drive when he drove into the sink hole. Shortly afterwards, another motorist crashed into a Bahamas Power and Light utility pole near the site in their attempt to avoid landing in the hole, the resident said. “The water started first because all of sudden,

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE TWO

MEMBERS of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force and the Royal Bahamas Police Force are investigating the discovery of three bodies washed ashore in the Ragged Island chain on Saturday. The discovery came after 31 Haitian migrants were found in the area after their vessel overturned. According to reports, around noon on Saturday, officials were alerted by a tourist to the sighting of a dead body on a beach on Double Breasted Cay. SEE PAGE SEVEN

100M TAX ‘REBATE’ IN DOUBT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

HURRICANE Dorian’s financial fall-out has placed the government’s plan to return $100m to the Bahamian people through “significant tax cuts” in doubt, the deputy prime minister has revealed. Peter Turnquest said the magnitude of the storm’s fiscal blow meant the Minnis administration had no choice but to “reassess” the pledge it made when unveiling the 60 percent VAT rate hike during the 2018-2019 Budget. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
01272020 NEWS by tribune242 - Issuu