WEEKEND FRIDAY
Established
February
CARS! CARS!
8, 2021
Being Bound To
Swear To The Dogmas
1903
Of No Master
The Tribune tise Call
To Adver
-2351
601-0007 or 502
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
$33.60
Established 1903
Indulge your taste buds: DESSERTS i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 81ºF LOW 63ºF
Monday,
The Tribune
L A T E S T
N E W S
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
Biggest And Best!
Volume: 120 No.8, January 13, 2023
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
$170M RESORT PLAN IN EXUMA
Hundreds of jobs are expected in Torch Cay project By LETRE SWEETING lsweeting@tribunemedia.net THE Davis Administration signed a heads of agreement yesterday with PMR Bahamas for the development of an upscale resort and residential community for Torch Cay on Exuma’s southern tip, with a $170m investment planned. The eight-to-12-year project is expected to provide hundreds of jobs in both its development and operational phases. Planned features for
the mega resort include a marina, over 160 residential lots, an environmental research facility, an equestrian centre with 25 horse stables, a sustainable farm of over 50 acres, a beach club and spa, and an 18-hole golf course, all on the 707acre Torch Cay, also known as Hog Cay. Prime Minister Philip Davis spoke yesterday at the Office of The Prime Minister about the specific impact this project will have on Exuma and the island’s residents. SEE PAGE TWO
PHARMACIES are voicing cautious optimism that their lower-margin price control regime could end as early as next Tuesday with the industry also pushing for a reduction in work permit fees. Shantia McBride, the Bahamas Pharmaceutical Association’s (BPA) president, yesterday said the
tone emerging from government this week was that the existing regime “should cease” by January 17, as set out in the mid-October order that implemented it. A similar message was delivered to association members and pharmacists yesterday, suggesting the agreement reached on November 3 was likely to end in line with its three-month lifetime. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
THE Progressive Liberal Party has fully reimbursed the Public Treasury for Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis’ controversial trip to Bermuda last year, Press Secretary Clint Watson said yesterday. “Yes,” he said, when asked about the issue during yesterday’s press briefing at the Office of the Prime minister. “That’s behind us.” Mr Davis’ trip drew scrutiny in October after it was revealed that he spoke at a political convention for Bermuda’s ruling Progressive Labour Party. He travelled to Bermuda with a delegation, including former Prime Minister Perry Christie, on October 19 and returned on October 20. SEE PAGE THREE
TAX CHIEF: MOST BUSINESSES NOT TELLING TRUTH ON TURNOVER By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
PHARMACIES HOPE FOR END TO PRICE CONTROL AMENDMENTS By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
BERMUDA PLP TRIP COST ‘PAID IN FULL’
ANGEL READY TO SOAR MISS Bahamas Angel J Cartwright takes part in the evening gown competition during the preliminary round of the 71st Miss Universe Beauty Pageant, in New Orleans, on Wednesday. The Miss Universe pageant takes place tomorrow. Photo: Gerald Herbert/AP
THE GOVERNMENT’S tax collection chief yesterday voiced scepticism that fewer than 20 percent of businesses meet the VAT registration threshold, and demanded the private sector “be truthful”. Shunda Strachan, the Department of Inland Revenue’s acting controller, said it will “this year be asking questions” amid suspicions that “most businesses don’t really report their true turnover” for Business Licence valuation purposes. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
NEW COVID VARIANT MAY BE IN COUNTRY By JADE RUSSELL jrussell@tribunemedia.net HEALTH and Wellness Minister Dr Michael Darville said yesterday the latest COVID-19 variant may be in the country, adding officials are still waiting for confirmation. Dr Darville stressed that there is no need for “major panic” with COVID-19 currently or the implementation of any new restrictive measures. However, he said
HEALTH and Wellness Minister Michael Darville. that COVID-19 still exists even if some restrictions have been lifted in the past. Dr Darville made these observations after the
People’s Republic of China donated $170,000 worth of medical supplies to the Public Hospitals Authority yesterday to assist in the ongoing fight against COVID. Chinese Ambassador to The Bahamas Dai Qingli presented the donation which included supplies of masks, oximeters, hospital trolleys, and shoe covers in three 40-foot container loads. SEE PAGE FOUR
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
DIANE PHILLIPS: IMMIGRATION CAN BE AN OPPORTUNITY
SEE PAGE NINE