Skip to main content

Manila Standard - 2026 April 20 - Monday

Page 1

manilastandard.net

@ManilaStandardPH

@mnlstandardph

@manilastandard

@ManilaStandardYT

Missed your copy of Manila Standard? Call or text our Circulation Hotline at 0917-8848655 or email: circulation@manilastandard.net . For advertisement: email: advertise@manilastandard.net •09173382170 / 85646229

House targets April 29 to end impeach probe Proceedings to decide probable cause, not guilt—solon

T

HE House Committee on Justice is targeting April 29 to conclude its impeachment hearings against Vice President Sara Duterte, a member of the panel said Sunday. VOL. XL • NO. 65 • 3 SECTIONS 16 PAGES • P20 • MONDAY, APRIL 20, 2026 •

THE Strait of Hormuz remained closed on Sunday in the stand-off between Iran and the United States, with Iran's powerful speaker of parliament signaling a final peace deal was "far" off despite movement in negotiations. As mediation efforts continued following high-level talks in Pakistan that failed to reach a deal, Iran said it would not reopen the crucial maritime trade route until the United States ended its blockade of Iranian US-Iran ceasefire ports. M o ends on Wednesday hammad Bagher Ghalibaf, speaker of the Iranian parliament, said in a televised address on Saturday night that there had been "progress" with Washington "but there are many gaps and some fundamental points remain". "We are still far from the final discussion," said Ghalibaf, one of Teh

• •

Next page

Diesel seen to drop by P26/l, gas by P3/l next week

Next page

PAGASA issues extreme heat caution today

By Alena Mae S. Flores

By Rio N. Araja THE Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warns

Manilans urge to wear face masks NEWS / A4 of an “extreme caution” heat index across the country today (Monday). The weather agency said most areas in the country might experience temperatures ranging from 33° to 41°Celsius since Sunday until today. Next page

NEWS / A4

Strait still closed, Iran says US must end port blockade

By Rio N. Araja

A committee report could be transmitted to the House plenary when Congress resumes session on May 4, marking the next phase of the constitutional process that may lead to a Senate trial, Lanao del Sur Rep. Zia Alonto Adiong said. Meanwhile, Bicol Saro partylist Rep. Terry Ridon said the Land Transportation Madriaga credible, Office says Acidre ( LT O ) c o n VP Sara should pay firmed that moCOA disallowances tor veh i c l e s registered under the name of selfconfessed bagman and impeachment witness Ramil Madriaga are reflected in its records. (see related story on A2 – Editors) Adiong, a member of the justice panel, said the committee is nearing

PINOY WANTED BY THE FBI

BATAD TERRACES FIRE. A fire burns at the world-famous and UNESCO heritage site, Batad Rice Terraces in Banaue, Ifugao, but was put out on April 18, according to the Batad municipal government. The LGU did not say what caused the fire although it did say that fires have struck forests in several provinces of the Cordillera Autonomous Region during this season. Batad Tourism Council

THE rollback of prices projected for tomorrow could be up to at P26 per liter for diesel and P3 per liter for gasoline, according to an industry source. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. over the weekend earlier announced a "big-time" oil price rollback of as much as P24.94 per liter for diesel and P2-3 per liter for gasoline. This will be the second consecutive week that diesel and gasoline prices are expected to go down. Meanwhile, the Department of Energy called on oil firms to immediately implement the "big-time" oil price rollback. “To our oil companies, President Bongbong Marcos Jr. is calling for the price rollback to be implemented fully, correctly, and without delay. We look forward to that from you,” Energy Secretary Sharon Garin said. Next page

DA delivers 30 tons of CAR veggies Pope Leo lashes to QC community pantry project out vs. tyrants, THE Department of Agriculture-Cordillera Administrative Region (DACAR) successfully facilitated the marketing and transport of 30,000 kilos of cabbage and Chinese cabbage (wombok) for a community pantry project in Quezon City. The vegetables were purchased by Fashion Depot Thrift Store for its com-

munity pantry initiative on April 18, 2026, in Cubao, Quezon City. The owner of Fashion Depot Thrift Store, a fellow Cordilleran, has been purchasing local vegetables from the region through DA-CAR on several occasions, including during the COVID-19 .pandemic, specifically for community Next page pantry initiatives.

resource abusers

POPE Leo XIV spoke out against tyranny and "disasters" caused by the exploitation of natural resources on Saturday as he arrived in Angola for a visit to the oil-rich country with high levels of poverty. Leo flew in from Cameroon for the third leg of his tour of Africa, telling journalists on the plane that he regretted his 11-day trip had been overshadowed by a spat with US President Donald Trump. In the capital Luanda, he travelled in his popemobile to meet President Joao Lourenco, with hundreds of cheering and waving people lining the route. Next page

AFRICAN JOURNEY. Pope Leo XIV (C) waves from the Popemobile to the crowd as he arrives to lead a Holy Mass in Kilamba yesterday on the seventh day of an 11-day apostolic journey to Africa. AFP

PH embassy assures no changes in US naturalization policy By Ma. Katrina Mikaela Manubay RESPITE FROM THE HEAT. President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. and First

Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos took off with sons Simon and Vinny to Baguio yesterday for an extended celebration of their wedding anniversary. FL Liza Araneta-Marcos FB

THE Philippine Embassy in Washington reassured Filipinos that there are no changes to the dual citizenship policy, reminding those born in the United States to at least one Filipino parent to

report their birth to the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate. The embassy also called on Filipino Americans to remain calm and avoid unnecessary actions or spreading unverified information. It vowed to issue an official statement if any significant updates occur. In an advisory on Saturday, the

embassy said Filipinos who lost their Philippine citizenship after becoming naturalized U.S. citizens may still reapply for dual citizenship through Republic Act No. 9225. “Please be reminded that dual citizens who voluntarily renounce their Philippine citizenship will no longer Next page


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Manila Standard - 2026 April 20 - Monday by Manila Standard - Issuu