manilastandard.net
@ManilaStandardPH
@mnlstandardph
@manilastandard
@ManilaStandardYT
Missed your copy of Manila Standard? Call or text our Circulation Hotline at 0917-8848655 or email: circulation@manilastandard.net . For advertisement: email: advertise@manilastandard.net •09173382170 / 85646229
TRUMP PUSHES DEADLINE TO APRIL 6; IRAN CLOSES STRAIT OF HORMUZ US President Donald Trump on Thursday pushed back his deadline for strikes on Iran's energy assets to April 6, saying it was at Tehran's request and that talks were "going very well." Trump had denied earlier that he was desperate for a deal to end the Middle East war, despite the Islamic republic's cool response to an American peace plan. As this developed, Iran Revolutionary Guards urged civilians across the Middle East Friday to stay away from areas near US forces, ramping up its
BARE-BONES ASEAN SUMMIT TO PROCEED NEWS/ A3
Marcos: Enough crude oil on hand to last ‘til June 30 By Charles Dantes and Alena Mae Flores PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said Friday the Philippines has secured enough crude oil supply to last until June 30, providing a temporary buffer against global price pressures driven by tensions in the Middle East. Speaking during the opening of the NAIA Expressway (NAIAX) westbound off-ramp, Marcos said importing crude oil for domestic refining remains more cost-effective than bringing in refined fuel products such Next page as diesel.
VOL. XL • NO. 46 • 3 SECTIONS 16 PAGES • P20 • SATURDAY, MARCH 28, 2026 •
Gov’t readies more mitigation measures
Next page
PBBM open to Oil Deregulation repeal, fuel imports VAT removal By Charles Dantes, Ram Superable, Joel E. Zurbano, Maricel Cruz and Rolando Ng III
P
RESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said the government is open to reviewing proposals to repeal the Oil Deregulation Law and remove the value-added tax (VAT) on fuel imports even as authorities are prioritizing immediate measures to cushion the impact of rising • MMDA to launch oil prices.
e-Love Bus in NCR
• Carpooling, shuttle
service for private firms
NEW NAIA ACCESS ROAD.
President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. joins SMC Chair Ramon S. Ang and Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon in the launch of the 320-meter NAIAX Westbound Off-Ramp which allows direct access to Terminal 3 and connects the Skyway and Cavitex. PCO
In a chance interview on Friday, Mr. Marcos said no options are being ruled out as the government assesses ways to mitigate the effects of global oil price volatility driven by ongoing tensions in the Middle East. “ We l l , Next page
10% hike in prices of supermarket goods looms; DTI: supplies stable By Othel Campos, Ram Superable, and Vince Lopez PRICES of some supermarket goods are set to rise by as much as 10 percent starting April 1 as fuel costs surge due to tensions in the Middle East, although the government said overall prices and supply of basic commodities remain stable. Steven Cua, president of the Philippine Amalgamated Supermarkets Association Inc., said Friday only a handful of manufacturers have so far announced price adjustments. “So far, iilan pa lang. Mabibilang sa dalawang kamay. Kaunti pa lang,” he said in an interview on GMA’s Unang Balita. “Although may isa lang ang nagabiso na lahat ng produkto niya kailan-
gan tumaas. Ito ay mga chemicals at siguro naubusan na sila ng raw material,” he added. (Although only one supplier has informed us that all their products need to increase in price. These are chemicals, and maybe they’ve already run out of raw materials.) Among the products expected to increase are pasta, noodles, canned goods, candies, and bottled water, with some price hikes reaching up to 10%. Cua noted that adjustments may be implemented gradually depending on market conditions and consumer response. Despite these developments, the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) assured the public that prices and supply of basic necessities and prime commodities (BNPCs) remain stable nationwide.
CONSUMER’S CROSS. A rallyist carries a cross-shaped cardboard replica of a gas station pump during a protest rally in Mendiola against the continued increase in fuel prices and rising inflation due to the , on going war in the Middle East. Norman Cruz
Next page
VP supporters ask SC to stop impeach proceedings By Pot Chavez and Katrina Manubay A PETITION was filed on Friday to restrain the House Committee on Justice from proceeding with the impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte.
Meanwhile, Duterte’s camp rejected new allegations by detained former military agent Ramil Madriaga, calling them “comical and baseless,“ including claims linking former Negros Oriental Rep. Arnie Teves to an alleged threat. Next page
Castro slams Davila remarks as ‘unfair’ No number coding from 12 noon of April 1-6—MMDA LENTEN PREPARATION. Catholic devotees take part in the Way of the Cross at St. Paul the Apostle Parish along Mother Ignacia Avenue in Quezon City yesterday as part of their spiritual preparation for the observance of Holy Week. Edd Castro
MALACAÑANG press officer and Undersecretary Claire Castro on Friday hit back at TV host Karen Davila for allegedly fomenting fake and misleading information that could deceive the public. Castro was reacting to Davila’s suggestions that the government has already “forgotten” the flood control controversy. Castro described Davila’s comments as “unfair” and “irresponsible,” warning that such statements were
tantamount to “fake news” and risk misleading the public. Castro said the newscaster’s allegations during a recent interview were not only “inaccurate but could also be construed as false information.” “I heard the interview where she claimed the government has forgotten the flood control scandal.. So that’s an irresponsible statement,” Castro told television/radio host Alvin Elchico over dzMM. Next page
By Joel E. Zurbano STARTING at 12 noon on Holy Wednesday, April 1, there will be no number coding scheme in effect, according to the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. Next page