manilastandard.net
@ManilaStandardPH
@mnlstandardph
@manilastandard
@ManilaStandardYT
Missed your copy of Manila Standard? Call or text our Circulation Hotline at 0917-8848655 or email: circulation@manilastandard.net . For advertisement: email: advertise@manilastandard.net •09173382170 / 85646229
BARMM PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS RESET TO SEPT. 2026 Trump offers peace plan; Iran denies talks with US US President Donald Trump said he has sent a peace plan to Iran as he voiced optimism Tuesday at ending nearly a month of warfare, but Iran’s ambassador to Pakistan said there had been no talks between Washington or Tehran.
NEWS/ A2
‘Medicine prices may go up amid Mideast crisis’ VOL. XL • NO. 44 • 3 SECTIONS 20 PAGES • P20 • THURSDAY, MARCH 26, 2026 •
Next page
PBBM signs oil excise tax law to ease price spikes Diesel prices may go up P15.50/l next week—source
By Rolando Ng III, Charles Dantes, Othel Campos and Ram Superable MEDICINE prices may increase as the ongoing war in the Middle East could lead to tightening of supply, Health Secretary Ted Herbosa said yesterday. “Our fear is that prices of medications would go up. Hospitalization fees may go up if that happens. Our kababayan would suffer,” Herbosa said in an ambush interview. “If the conflict escalates, the next delivery of medicines might not reach our shores, or if they reach us, their prices might spike similar to what happened to gasoline. What we have budgeted last year (for 2026) might not be enough. We might have a shortage,” he said, adding that the Health department is
Next page
By Charles Dantes, Alena Mae Flores, Darwin G. Amojelar, Joel Zurbano and Ram Superable
P
RESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. yesterday signed into law a measure allowing him to temporarily suspend or reduce excise taxes on fuel to shield consumers from surging pump prices amid the ongoing tensions in the Middle East.
This as an industry source said consumers should brace for another hefty oil price hike next week by as much as P15.50 per liter for diesel and P3.50 per liter for gasoline. Over the past three weeks since the war in the Middle East broke out, domestic pump prices have risen significantly. Diesel has increased by P52.90 to P66.15 per liter, gasoline by P27.60 to P41.60 per liter and kerosene by P50.90 to P69.40 per liter. Under the newly-signed Republic Act 12316, the President, in coordination with the Department of Energy and upon recommendation of the Development Budget Coordination Committee, may adjust excise taxes when the average Dubai crude oil price based on Mean of Platts Singapore (MOPS) reaches or exceeds $80 per barrel for one month preceding issuance of the order. Ahead of yesterday’s signing, Mr. Marcos said the implementation of the excise tax suspension would depend on the conditions specified in the measure. “Now, we will look into when is the best time to use that new authority, because there are conditions within the law that have to be satisfied,” he said. The chief executive added the government is also assessing the “optimum levels” of support measures, including the possible suspension of certain charges imposed on essential goods, particularly food products, to Next page mitigate inflationary pressures.
SIGNED. President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. explains plans to address the impact of the war in the Middle East during a press conference in Malacanang. Inset shows the President signing Republic Act No. 12316 which gives him the power to suspend or reduce excise taxes on petroleum products. Revoli Cortez
DFA leaves decision to resked ASEAN to President
House begins impeach hearing, VP Sara boycotts proceedings By Maricel V. Cruz
By Katrina Manubay THE Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) refrained from commenting on proposals to postpone the country’s hosting of the annual regional dialogues even as it underscored on Wednesday that the 2026 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit is central to the Philippines’ foreign policy. In a news forum, DFA Secretary
Next page
NO SHOW. The chair of Vice President Sara Duterte, beside Rep. Leila de Lima, remains vacant during the Justice Committee public hearing on the impeachment case against her at the House of Representatives. Ver Noveno
THE House of Representatives on Wednesday opened formal impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte, but the historic hearing unfolded without her presence, prompting sharp questions from lawmakers on accountability and constitutional duty. On the other hand, the Vice President’s legal team reiterated their rejection of the invitation to participate in the proceedings, asserting that any form of “mini-trial” is unconstitutional and falls solely under the jurisdiction of the Senate.
Marcos says PH open to joint gas exploration with China in WPS By Charles Dantes PRESIDENT Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. said the Philippines is open to exploring partnerships with China to develop gas resources in disputed areas of the South China Sea, as the govern-
ment seeks to secure energy supplies amid the global oil crisis. In an interview with Bloomberg News, Mr. Marcos said Manila has long sought to separate territorial disputes from economic cooperation, noting that China remains a key trading partner and
source of major investments. In the same interview, the President said a “reset” in Philippine-China relations may be inevitable as global geopolitical dynamics continue to shift, while reiterating Manila’s position against war amid the ongoing
Middle East conflict. “We’ve always tried to differentiate the territorial disputes from our trade arrangements,” Marcos said, adding that Chinese support has extended to critical imports such as fertilizer.
Next page
DBM releases P44.17b for Metro subway, commuter train projects By Darwin G. Amojelar THE Department of Budget and Management (DBM) released P44.17 billion to the Department of Transportation (DOTr) to accelerate the Metro Manila Subway Project (MMSP) Phase I and the North-South Commuter Railway (NSCR) System, following a direct order from President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. Authorized via two Special Allotment
Release Orders (SAROs) on March 23, the funding is designed to maintain construction momentum and prevent delays. “These are projects that Filipinos have waited decades for. By order of the President, it cannot be delayed any longer. We are making sure that funding is not the bottleneck—so these projects can move faster and deliver real relief to commuters,” Budget Secretary Ronaldo Toledo said. Next page
House Committee on Justice chairperson Rep. Gerville Luistro of Batangas did not mince words as she confirmed that despite being invited and reportedly preparing a full legal defense, the Vice President chose not to participate in the opening proceedings. “The Vice President has been invited to participate… She is, apparently, ready to face the accusations and defend herself at length. And yet—it appears she will not even participate,” Luistro said. The absence immediately cast a shadow over what Luistro herself had earlier Next page
AMLC files 3 civil forfeiture cases; David leaves post By Thony Rose Lesaca
NEW NORMAL. Today in Baguio: Jeepneys are few, queues are long, and the usual tourist bustle has faded into empty roads. Seeing the city this still is both beautiful and heartbreaking. Conrad Rotor
THE Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) said Wednesday it filed three petitions for civil forfeiture before the Manila Regional Trial Court, covering properties owned by individuals and entities previously placed under freeze orders by the Court of Appeals. Following these petitions, the AMLC said the Regional Trial Court has issued two provisional asset preservation orders to safeguard the monetary instruments and properties involved while awaiting final judgment. Meanwhile, AMLC Executive Director Atty. Matthew M. David, who was appointed in 2022, has requested a Next page