Skip to main content

NewHydeParkHeraldCourier_2023_09_22

Page 1

Serving New Hyde Park, Floral Park, Garden City Park, North Hills, Manhasset Hills and North New Hyde Park

$1.50

Friday, September 22, 2023

Vol. 72, No. 38

N E W H Y D E PA R K

of Women on 2023 NASSAU COUNTYʼS

Distincti N E T WO R K I N G A N

D AWA R D S E V E N

T

WOMEN OF DISTINCTION

DENTON AVE FIREHOUSE

BLAKEMAN SUBMITS COUNTY BUDGET

PAGES S1-S52

PAGE 2

PAGE 6

®

F LY I N G H I G H

Port nurse Lindsay 1st to get booster Northwell employee was first American to get COVID-19 vaccine BY B R A N D ON D U FF Y Sandra Lindsay, a Northwell Health employee and Port Washington resident, was again the first American Thursday to receive the latest COVID-19 vaccine shot. Lindsay was the first U.S. Citizen to receive the FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine on Dec. 14, 2020, at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center in Queens when she was a critical care nurse. Now the vice president of public health advocacy at Northwell, Lindsay has since received three vaccinations and three booster shots and has not

been infected with COVID-19. Lindsay received a vaccine shot from Pfizer-BioNTech—which was approved by the FDA Monday—that offers protection against the “Pirola” and “Eris” COVID-19 variants. Dr. Michelle Chester, senior director of employee health services at Northwell, administered Lindsay’s Thursday and in 2020. Additional employees to the vaccine include Dr. Adam Berman, Mozhdeh Mehrabian and Dr. Mangala Narasimhan. “It’s important that people understand that COVID is still around and can still severely affect an individual,”

Lindsay said. “Having worked through the darkest days of the pandemic and seen the devastating effects it can have, I tell people not to take chances. We have powerful weapons like vaccines to prevent those devastating outcomes.” The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends everyone six months and older to get an updated COVID-19 vaccine as cases rise ahead of the fall and winter seasons. Dr. Jill Kalman, chief medical officer, said vaccinations have proven to be an important tool in fighting COVID-19. Continued on Page 42

Community rallies to bring Riley back as director Museum’s decision to not renew contract sparks outrage BY C A M E RY N O A K ES

PHOTO COURTESY OF @HERRICKSBOYSVOLLEY ON INSTAGRAM

Herricks High School’s Evan Liao attempts a spike against Syosset on Wednesday, Sept. 13

The decision not to renew Charles Riley’s contract at the Nassau County Museum of Art has sparked an uproar from community members who cherished the former director’s larger-than-life personality and contributions to the museum. Now a fellow local arts director has taken matters into his own hands and launched a petition to bring Riley back. Riley served as the museum’s director for six years. He is known internationally as an expert on the economics of the arts and has au-

thored numerous books and articles. He has been involved in the founding of multiple museums and curated exhibitions in Taiwan, Berlin, Amsterdam and New York. “He’s extraordinarily knowledgeable, he’s got vision, he’s got commitment and he’s very personable,” David Bernard said. Bernard, who grew up in Great Neck but lives in Manhattan, is the music director of the Massapequa Philharmonic Orchestra. He has been music director since 2016, previously serving as the music director of the Park Avenue Chamber Symphony in New York City.

He has worked with Riley for the past couple of years, starting their working relationship during the pandemic when the philharmonic partnered with the museum to bring socially distanced live music to Long Islanders. In the wake of these performances, he said the philharmonic also became the orchestra in residence at the museum and has continued to play concerts there. Bernard said in partnering with the museum for the past three years, the philharmonic has become “integrated with Dr. Riley’s amazing conContinued on Page 43


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook