TheGrower With Words, We Cultivate Truth
The Official Student and Community Publication of Sto. Tomas National High School | Araw ng Santo Tomas 2025 Special Coverage | Volume 1. Issue 1
02
03
04
‘RESPONSIBLE, NOT ANOTHER RESPONSIBILITY’
Upholding Discipline
TRACING TRADITIONS
growing Frustrations DavNor IP farmer calls for intensified agri-programs Jenny Rose Canturna
A
member of Indigenous People (IP) demanded strengthened agricultural government support for tribal members of the municipality of Santo Tomas, Davao del Norte, emphasizing that this is a ‘big’ deal, since farming, their primary source of income, is at stake. In an interview on Tuesday, August 5, Angel Gamiao Mundez, a descendant of the Ilokano Mandaya tribe and owner of a one-hectare rice field, expressed disappointment with the government after it failed to provide sufficient aid.
the ‘Kadiwa ng Pangulo’ failed to reach its purpose: easing the financial burden of Filipino families while making sure farmers receive adequate payment for their harvests.
“Sa tinood lang, kining atong panggobyerno, wala gyuy ayo. Naglisod ang tanan tawo. Barato ang pagpalit sa humay, mahal ang inputs, mahal tanan” Mundez said.
“[Naa tay] problema-- dili siya sa katawhan, kundi iya sa gobyerno. Unsaon nila pagsulbad [sa] kalisod sa katawhan?” Mundez added.
Furthermore, the IP farmer noted that even with assistance, it is still not enough. Falling Short Mundez further blamed ‘corrupt’ officials why the situation getting worse than it already was. “Ang mga tao nga naa sa gobyerno kasagaran imbes mo tabang, mubulsa man tawon sa kwarta sa katawhan. Muhatag man gali ang gobyerno sa Philippine Crop Insurance corporation (PCIC), gamay ra. Asa man nimo makita ang tabang sa gobyerno—diba, wala? Wala, gamay lang,” Mundez asserted. Heavy Burden According to the IP farmer, the 20-peso-per-kilo rice program under
Photo by Nayeli Ramos
Municipal Agriculturist: It’s too late Francen Postrano
“
Matthew Paner and Winonah Reyes
L
ocal farmers of Santo Tomas, Davao del Norte criticized President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s P20 per kilo rice goal as several continued to struggle with low harvest prices and high costs of fertilizers. “Perting louya jud namo mga mag-uuma ug mag barato ang harvest. Ang isa ka hektarya, pinakadako diha kay 80 ra man ang sako. Unya mag gasto pa sa abono, upat ka sako plus medisina plus semilya, perting louya gyud,” Peronilo Sumaria, a rice farmer in Santo Tomas said. Furthermore, Sumaria expressed disappointments over rice importation in the Philippines, emphasizing that it would be better if imported rice are not allowed in the country, because it is the reason why the prices of palay remain cheaper.
Meanwhile, the IPs of Davao del Norte raised concerns on Marcos’ 2025 State of the Nation Address (SONA) as it failed to mention the country’s plans for the IP budget, after multiple IP scholars in the region were forced to stop studying due to the 400 million (national) and 15 million pesos (Davao region) budget cut this year.
On rice importation ban
S
INDIGENOUS PRIDE. IP kids perform a traditional tribal dance to emphasize the importance of their tribe’s customs during IP Day on Monday, Aug 5, in line with the 66th Araw ng Santo Tomas celebration.
Farmers condemn PBBM’s P20/kg rice goal amid struggle with low harvest prices
“Mas gwapo gyud ug dili pasudlon ang ilahang produkto, kung sa akoa lang. Kay imbis na mo mahal ang presyo sa atoang bugas, barato nuon kay naa may ilaha. Maglisud gyud mi kay barato ang presyo unya mahal ang abono ug medisina,” he added.
It is expected that the supply of rice will significantly increase because this is the full blast of the harvest
Meanwhile, Municipality Agriculturist Officer (MAO) Elemer Degorio asserted that compared to last year, the initiatives of the government have not changed for the better, ‘worsening’ even, intensifying the burden farmers carry on their shoulders everyday.
-Elmer Degorio, Municipal Agriculturist Officer
anto Tomas Municipal Agriculturist Officer (MAO) Elmer Degorio asserted that the 60-day suspension of imported rice is untimely, as importers already took advantage of the period before the ban on September 1.
According to Degorio, the banning of imported rice will be no use as they expected the supply of rice to significantly increase due to the full blast harvest this last week of August. “If the banning on importation is on September 1, it means that almost all importers have already imported by then. By September 1, it is expected that the supply of rice will significantly increase because this is the full blast of the harvest. So, if the banning happens on September 1, it will be too late.” Degorio said. Meanwhile, in an interview during Farmer’s Day, Peronilo Sumaria, a rice farmer emphasized that while
crops remain low, the cost of fertilizers and plant medicines are expensive, adding that land preparation for one-hectare costs P10,000. “Maglisud gyud mi kay barato ang presyo unya mahal ang abono ug medisina. Huna-hunaon nimo, magpatanom karon ang isa ka hektarya, ang bayad sa patanom pakyaw, 10,000. Perting louya namo maguuma ug mag ingon ana,” Sumaria added. The banning of imported rice is intended to provide support to local farmers who have been severely impacted by the declining prices of palay during the ongoing harvest season.
DELAYED ACTION. During Farmer’s Day, Santo Tomas Municipal Agriculturist Elmer Degorio says the 60-day rice import ban starting September 1 will barely help farmers as imports have already entered the market. | Photo by Kristar Vicente