Skip to main content

Dandenong Star Journal - 21st April 2026

Page 1

Tuesday, 21 April, 2026

Phone: (03) 5945 0666 Trades & Classifieds: 1300 666 808

starcommunity.com.au FREE

Strikes threat widens

Oasis name decision

Waste future limbo

Rangers rise to the top

PAGE 2

PAGE 3

PAGE 8

SPORT

Silent reflection An Army cadet from 310ACU Dandenong bows his head as part of the catafalque party at an Anzac Day memorial at Noble Park on Sunday 19 April. The service was among the first of several Anzac Day comemmorations being held across Greater Dandenong this week. More pictures and service details, turn to pages 4 and 9

(Gary Sissons: 543514)

Upgrade and cut longest waits in emergency care in the state. Generally, wait times in the ED have dramatically improved whilst nearing 70,000 presentations a year. Dandenong MP Gabrielle Williams said the project was a “vital redevelopment” for Dandenong locals getting the “very best care without travelling far from home”. The hospital’s maternity unit, which is being controversially downgraded by Monash Health, has been excluded from the upgrade.

In February-April this year, Monash Health is shifting “high-acuity” maternity care beds and staff from Dandenong to Casey Hospital, due to what it says is rising need in the Berwick region. As a result, it estimates about 250 high-risk births would be transferred from Dandenong to other hospitals. Opposition health spokesperson Georgie Crozier said the cuts mean families will need to travel further for care, at a time when they are already under pressure. “Victorians deserve certainty and access to

care close to home.” In November, Greater Dandenong councillors called for a halt to the downgrade, pending an impact review. Last week, Greater Dandenong mayor Sophie Tan effusively welcomed the redevelopment. “Council consistently advocates to maintain the level of service provided by the hospital, including its culturally sensitive service to our diverse community.” For more on the story, turn to page 3

BOOK A TOUR TODAY Go to belvedere.com.au or call (03) 9574 1355

Permanent And Respite Care Tailored To Meet Your Needs Couples and Individual Accommodation Available Visit belvedere.com.au for more information Find Us On

12802488-JV38-25

Dandenong Hospital is set for a long-awaited upgrade, but cuts to high-risk maternity services remain in place. Works on the $305 million project – promised in the 2022 state election - will begin this year, the State Government announced. It includes nine new operating theatres, a new and larger intensive care unit with 16 beds, and an upgraded day surgery admissions space. An expanded emergency department (ED) will have spaces to separate adult, paediatric and mental health patients – the latter who endure the


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Dandenong Star Journal - 21st April 2026 by Star News Group - Issuu