November 1, 2024
12496497-CG22-21
FREE DIGITAL EDITION
SCAN the
SCAN the
QRQR CODE CODE
SIG N U P N O W!
geelongindy.com.au/subscribe geelongindy.com.au/subscribe
Food, fun, frivolity at school fair It’s back and Surfside Primary School’s Fresh Food Fair is again promising delicious food, fantastic entertainment and community spirit. Funds raised will support the school’s award-winning Kitchen and Garden program, which offers our students unique hands-on experiences in cooking and gardening, setting our school apart in the region. Coinciding the Melbourne Cup weekend, the Fresh Food Fair is on Friday November 1 from 3.15pm to 7.30pm at the primary school. Organiser Stacey O’Keefe said the event promises an unforgettable time and features a delightful afternoon tea featuring the traditional cake stall, the whimsical Mad Hatter’s Tea Party and a variety of sweet treats including fruit ice cream, popcorn, chocolates, and lollies. Every class at Surfside runs its own market stall, offering everything from homemade curries and pastries, cakes, potted plants to exciting side show games, lucky dips, face painting, the dunk bucket challenge and gift stalls. Arlen, Lucan, Valentina, Lauren and Raff getting ready for Surfside Primary School’s Fresh Food Fair. (Ivan Kemp) 439551_03
See page 8 for the full story.
Street safe despite death By Matt Hewson
12727355-KG44-24
Little Malop Street hospitality operators are concerned at the narrative of violence and danger that has arisen after the fatal stabbing of a young Geelong man in the popular food and entertainment precinct last weekend. The tragic death of Jayme Sykes in the early hours of Sunday, October 27 has caused an outpouring of grief from his family, friends and the broader Geelong community. But owners of Little Malop Street businesses have also expressed their fears the public commentary around the precinct could further damage the already struggling hospitality industry.
Piano Bar co-owner and popular entertainer Andy Pobjoy said the devastation surrounding Mr Sykes’ death was palpable. “His family are shattered, there’s still people visiting the temporary tribute that’s been set up in Little Malop Street; it’s really emotional,” he said. But Mr Pobjoy said the way the area had been depicted in media reports following the stabbing was not representative of the “lived experience” of those who work at and patronise Little Malop Street venues and restaurants. “We’ve had a fight in Piano Bar once, I think back in 2020; we don’t have violence,” he said.
“You can take your nanna out for dinner and then come to Piano Bar afterwards, that’s the vibe we’re all going for and that’s what we hope to be able to keep. “There’s been so much time, energy and money put into trying to set aside this one little stretch of the Geelong CBD, to make it a really cool place to come to. “99 per cent of the young kids who go out are having the time of their life. The younger audience isn’t drinking as much, when we have the netball trips or the footy trips in they are absolutely delightful. “And now we’ve got this precious little area where all the shops are full, there is world-class dining and great entertainment
options, and it’s at risk because people like sledging the CBD of Geelong.” Mr Pobjoy said talk suggesting the area was a dangerous party strip had the potential to deter patrons and hurt businesses. “So many of us are on Struggle Street, our morale is very low at the moment” he said. “We just hate to think people would avoid coming into town because they felt unsafe. We need more people to visit, not less. “The police are a very visible presence on a Saturday, and they’re in constant communication with us. There’s no other part of Geelong that gets the amount of attention from the police that our precinct does to keep it safe.”