Tuesday, 8 October, 2024
Phone: (03) 5945 0666 Trades & Classifieds: 1300 666 808
starcommunity.com.au FREE
Police launch CBD op
Council election coverage
Art journeys on show
R1 washout tradition continues
PAGE 2
PAGES 4-5, 7, 10-11, 15
PAGE 6
PAGE 19
Hog’s Breath torched A vacant former restaurant in Eumemmerring has been destroyed by a suspicious fire early on Sunday morning (6 October). Firefighters were called to Hog’s Breath Cafe at Princes Highway about 5.47am. The 1600-square metre timber building was found “fully involved in flames” and the response was “escalated”, an FRV spokesperson stated. FRV and CFA crews including an aerial appliance battled the blaze, bringing the scene under control at 8.21am. “There was minor fire exposure to neighbouring properties, including a petrol station and several houses. “Firefighters made significant progress in the first hour but were expected to remain at the scene for several hours to fully extinguishing the blaze.” A Community Advice warning was issued for smoke in the area, with smoke impacting visibility on the Princes Highway. Victoria Police is investigating the blaze, which is being treated as “suspicious”. Any information to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
(Gary Sissons: 436008)
Sandown scuttled A board coup at Melbourne Racing Club appears to have scuttled plans for a full development of Sandown Racecourse. ‘Save Our MRC’ group has taken the reins of the board, with the election of new chairperson John Kanga on Thursday 3 October. The group is in favour of the retention of racing and oppose the full sell-off of Sandown. It means a halt to the MRC’s controversial proposal to rezone the 112-hectare horse and motorracing facility for a 7500-home residential estate. The new board is expected to instead sell “surplus” land - possibly in the south-west corner for housing - to help clear the MRC’s mounting $154
million debts, according to Keysborough Ward council election candidate Peter Brown. Brown is part of the Save Our MRC group and also intends to run for a spot on the MRC board. Aside from retaining racing, a “linear park” of River Red Gums along Corrigan Road would be saved, he said. Despite embarking on a protracted rezoning process, MRC has consistently stated that the project wouldn’t go ahead without a members’ vote. Earlier this year, Planning Minister Sonya Kilkenny ‘called in’ the rezoning for consideration by a planning panel, the Sandown Racecourse Advisory Committee. The SRAC recently held a month of hearings
and will present its recommendations to the Minister within weeks. The Minister’s decision poses a “critical” issue, Brown said. If the Planning Minister rezones the site for housing, the MRC would be faced with a “contingent liability” of about $6 million a year in additional council rates. “The Government has skin in the outcome,” Brown says – given its housing targets and need for revenue. “But it’s our club. The Minister cannot force the club to sell the land.” Additionally, the club was expected to be billed for the costs of the planning panel process, he said.
Springvale North Ward candidate and ALP member Sean O’Reilly says the community was “split” on Sandown’s future. At the panel hearings, the council had raised significant concerns, particularly flood risks from Mile Creek and Police Road main drain, O’Reilly said. Springvale North Ward candidate Angela Holl, who lives near Sandown, was opposed to the redevelopment. “It’s a special site that should be preserved. I am worried about the impacts on residents if it’s developed.” Melbourne Racing Club has been contacted for comment. Full story page 15
12716783-JF39-24
By Cam Lucadou-Wells