Skip to main content

EHD Star Journal - 1st October 2024

Page 1

Tuesday, 1 October, 2024

Phone: (03) 5945 0666 Trades & Classifieds: 1300 666 808

starcommunity.com.au FREE

Refugee protestors attacked

Council elections coverage

Mayor Holohan remembered

Draft combine preview

PAGE 2

PAGES 4-8

PAGE 9

PAGE 19

Young talents in the limelight Singer-songwriter and ‘one-man band’ Zak Gully combined digeridoo, vocals and guitar in one of the stellar performances at Dandy”s Got Talent last Wednesday 25 September. Young bands, dancers, musicians and singers battled it out on The Castle stage for showstopping prizes. More pictures, turn to page 15

Dandy (Gary Sissons: 431967)

Aged care fight services. They trust it. “Residents need to know what our next councillors think about these issues.” The survey responses - about a third of candidates - so far have been unanimously in favour of keeping the services in council hands. In favour are candidates Sophie Tan (already re-elected in Noble Park Ward), Phillip Danh (Yarraman Ward), Reinaldo Pincheira, Sinnan Akkurt and Melinda Yim (Keysborough Ward), Isabella Do, Alexandra Bryant and Ajdin Muzur (Keysborough South Ward), Andy Tran and Thayhorn Yim (Springvale South Ward), Sean Stebbings and Meng Bunlay (Springvale Central) and Pradeep Hewavitharana and Rhonda Garad (Cleeland

Ward). However there were no responses from incumbent councillors and candidates in Noble Park North, Dandenong North, Dandenong and Springvale North wards, Blades said. Many Victorian councils such as Casey have opted to outsource aged and disability care services due to a federal funding restructure, while others like Kingston have continued their service. After months of speculation, Greater Dandenong Council had been on the brink of transitioning to a new Support at Home model in July 2025. However in March, it decided to defer a decision on its long-term future until July 2027. Blades says the deferment lulled residents into

thinking the service was no longer under threat. “It’s a live issue while it doesn’t appear to be a live issue. In 2027 the council has to apply to to have provider status. If they don’t apply, they won’t deliver the service.” As a councillor, Blades previously fought for Greater Dandenong to run its once-privatised aged care and disability home care services. She says a short period of outsourcing had a “disastrous impact”. “Spread the word – that’s what we need to happen. Talk about it, ask your candidates what their views are.” More on the story, turn to page 5

12716783-JF39-24

The future of Greater Dandenong Council’s home care services for the elderly and disabled is a “live” election issue, says former mayor Roz Blades. The long-time former councillor has sent surveys to 40-plus candidates, urging them to pledge to not privatise the “trusted” and “successful” service including delivered meals, house cleaning and home repairs. “The residents of this city do not want to lose this trusted, efficient, caring and affordable service thrown on the scrap heap of privatisation,” Blades said. “There’s not one resident in favour of it. It’s not the right thing to do. “Councils aren’t popular but people like these


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
EHD Star Journal - 1st October 2024 by Star News Group - Issuu