Skip to main content

Dandenong Star Journal - 17th September 2024

Page 1

Tuesday, 17 September, 2024

Phone: (03) 5945 0666 Trades & Classifieds: 1300 666 808

starcommunity.com.au FREE

Dark farewells council

Little Aths’ fight for survival

Council appeals Slug Gate

Thrilling win at Sandown

PAGE 2

PAGE 3

PAGE 4

PAGE 18

Hold tight! Students and staff at Lyndale Secondary College buckled in for a thrilling day of wheelchair racing and fundraising for an international charity on 13 September. The student Interact Club staged a wheelchair race for Year 7s and teachers as well as a Crazy Sock Day and sausage sizzle. As well as the thrills and spills, they raised awareness and funds for charity Wheelchairs For Kids Australia. MORE PHOTOS, TURN TO PAGE 8

(Stewart Chambers: 427244)

Out on a Lim... but owns a pharmacy in Springvale, was “disappointed” at the circumstances surrounding his ineligibility. He said he “didn’t know at all” that he wasn’t automatically on the roll. “If I’m not elected I have fulfilled my dream of Springvale revitalisation and the traffic and parking matters. “I don’t feel anything. If they don’t want me to stand, I feel glad and I’ll concentrate on my works with Monash Health.” He is seeking legal advice from his legal team. In 2020, former councillor Peter Brown was also sensationally ruled ineligible to stand due to

his name not being on the electoral roll. Brown also lives outside Greater Dandenong but owns investment property in the council area. Brown had divested a property and bought a new property in Greater Dandenong between the 2016 and 2020 elections, but failed to reapply for the electoral roll under new rules. However, Cr Lim says his property portfolio has remained the same. Cr Lim had been set to go head-to-head with Labor colleague and sitting councillor Sean O’Reilly. Cr O’Reilly said the “surprising” news did improve his chances of defending his seat. But “not taking it for granted”, he would continue to doorknock, letterbox and campaign across the

ward. City of Greater Dandenong acting chief executive officer, Sanjay Manivasagasivam said the council has no role over the nomination process as it’s administered by the Victorian Electoral Commission however it only administers the list of ‘Council-enrolled voters.’ “Council wrote to eligible business owners and ratepayers to advise of the process for enrolling to vote and included the relevant form. Applications to be included on the list of ‘Council-enrolled voters’ were due by 4pm on 7 August.” Cr Lim however claims he received no letter at his pharmacy address in Springvale and none of his staff came across such letter. MORE ON THE STORY, TURN TO PAGE 6

12698263-FR35-24

City of Greater Dandenong deputy mayor’s reelection campaign could be in jeopardy after failing to enrol for the upcoming council election as a candidate. Cr Richard Lim had long announced he’d switch from Springvale Central Ward to Springvale North Ward in order to see through the Springvale Revitalisation Action Plan. He may not be able to contest the October council elections as the enrolment date to vote has closed. In a further bombshell, Cr Tim Dark has announced he will not recontest his Keysborough Ward seat. Cr Lim, who lives outside Greater Dandenong


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook