INSIDE
ESPN to Transform Santa Monica Beach Into Broadcast Hub for Super Bowl LXI smmirror.com
May 15 – May 21, 2026 Volume CXXIII Issue 214
See Page 4
Nanny charged with felony child endangerment following Santa Monica Police investigation
Nanny faces prosecution after an infant in her care was hospitalized for suspected physical abuse.
Prosecutors have filed a felony child endangerment charge against a Simi Valley woman following a Santa Monica Police Department investigation into the alleged physical abuse of an infant.
Carolina Cobian, 65, was arrested on April 15 after detectives linked her to injuries sustained by a child in her care. The investigation began on April 7, when hospital staff notified authorities of a suspected abuse case involving an infant. Investigators allege the abuse occurred while Cobian was employed as the child’s nanny. Medical personnel evaluated the infant and found no life-threatening injuries. Officials confirmed the child is no longer in Cobian’s care. The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office filed one felony count of child endangerment on April 24. Cobian, who is currently out on bail, is scheduled
for arraignment on May 28 at the Airport Courthouse. Santa Monica police are continuing to investigate the matter to determine if there are other potential victims or witnesses. To protect the minor’s privacy and the integrity of the ongoing case, police have declined to release further specifics. Authorities are asking anyone with information, or families who previously employed Cobian and have concerns regarding their children's care, to contact Detective Lizette Hardgrave at Lizette. Hardgrave@santamonica.gov or Detective Sergeant George Burciaga at George. Burciaga@santamonica.gov.
Santa Monica to Vote on Re-Ratifying Homeless Emergency Declaration
The emergency declaration allows Santa Monica to accelerate programs and services aimed at addressing homelessness and preventing residents from becoming unhoused
The Santa Monica City Council is scheduled to consider re-ratifying the city’s local emergency declaration on homelessness during its regular meeting Tuesday night, continuing a policy city officials say is necessary to expand services and secure outside funding amid an ongoing regional homelessness crisis. The council meeting is set for 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall Council Chambers, 1685 Main St. According to a staff report prepared by City Attorney Heidi Von Tongeln, the proposed resolution would renew the city’s 2025 proclamation declaring a local emergency on homelessness, first adopted in March 2025. California Government Code requires
local governments to renew emergency declarations every 60 days until they are terminated. City officials said the emergency declaration allows Santa Monica to accelerate programs and services aimed at addressing homelessness and preventing residents from becoming unhoused. The declaration also enables the city to pursue additional county, state and federal funding,
streamline certain municipal processes, prevent rental price gouging and authorize emergency actions by the city manager. The city first declared a local emergency on homelessness in February 2023, citing worsening conditions for unhoused residents, including illness and deaths among unsheltered people in the region. A subsequent proclamation adopted in May 2024 was used to advance homelessness-
related initiatives, according to the report. Officials said conditions that prompted the earlier declarations still persist, leading the council to extend the emergency through Dec. 31. The council has approved multiple renewals over the past year, including votes in April, June, July, September, October and December 2025, as well as February and March 2026.