INSIDE
smmirror.com
July 3 – July 9, 2026 Volume CXXIII Issue 214
Revised 24-unit apartment project proposed for Montana Avenue corner in Santa Monica See Page 4
Palisades Fire suspect to remain behind bars after federal jury deadlocks A federal judge dismissed the panel against former Uber driver Jonathan Rinderknecht.
Jurors deadlocked heavily in favor of acquittal, forcing a federal judge to declare a mistrial Friday in the case against a former Uber driver accused of setting the Lachman Fire, which is believed to be the precursor to the destructive 2025 Palisades Fire. U.S. District Judge Anne Hwang dismissed the panel after they confirmed that further deliberations would not break an impasse on any of the three federal charges against Jonathan Rinderknecht, 30. The jury revealed it was split 10-2 in favor of a not-guilty verdict, prompting the judge to reject the prosecution's request to
order continued deliberations due to a "risk of coercion." Rinderknecht, who pleaded not guilty in October, remains in federal custody facing up to 45 years in prison. Hwang denied a defense motion for release, stating no combination of conditions could guarantee his future court appearances. A status conference has been scheduled for July 15, with a tentative retrial date set for Oct. 19. The absolute standstill followed a dramatic sequence of legal maneuvers. On Thursday, jurors sent a note indicating they were at a complete standstill, prompting defense attorney Steve Haney to request an Allen charge to force a consensus. By Friday, Haney shifted strategy and moved for a mistrial. Federal prosecutor Mark Williams initially resisted the motion but conceded after Hwang individually polled the jurors, and each affirmed that a unanimous decision was impossible. U.S. Attorney Bill Essayli posted a statement about the mistrial on social media, which said, “The evidence is strong that Jonathan Rinderknecht is responsible
for igniting the fire on January 1, 2025, which eventually became the Palisades fire. We fully intend to retry this case before a new jury and obtain guilty verdicts on all charged counts.” The government’s case hinges on the theory that Rinderknecht intentionally ignited a small blaze on Jan. 1 near the Skull Rock hiking trail, dubbed the Lachman Fire, which smoldered for nearly a week before exploding into the massive Palisades Fire on Jan. 7. Records showed Rinderknecht had been driving for Uber in the area on the night of the initial fire and remained in the neighborhood after his final drop-off. Data from his cellphone, security camera video, and internet usage also placed him near the scene. Haney argued for a dismissal on Monday, pointing to testimony from multiple witnesses who stated that the Lachman and Palisades blazes were entirely separate incidents rather than a single continuous fire.
Santa Monica State of City Event to Feature Performances and Updates on the Realignment Plan Mayor Torosis will deliver the address, outlining accomplishments from the past year and discussing priorities for 2027
Santa Monica will hold its annual State of the City event on July 23 with an open-street gathering on Main Street that will include a mayoral address, live entertainment and information booths highlighting city programs and community organizations. The free event is scheduled from 4 to 7 p.m. on Main Street between Hollister Avenue and Ocean Park Boulevard. Mayor Caroline Torosis will deliver the State of the City address at 4:45 p.m., outlining accomplishments from the past
year and discussing priorities for 2027. City officials said this year's presentation will include updates on expanded fullservice hours at the Santa Monica Public Library and the city's Realignment Plan. The city has adopted the theme "Realignment to Renaissance," which officials say reflects efforts to activate public spaces, support local businesses and capitalize on increased tourism associated with major international sporting events, including the 2026 FIFA World Cup and the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Los Angeles. "Building on last year's reimagined event, this year's State of the City is designed to showcase the very best of Santa Monica," Torosis said in a statement. "By bringing together city departments, local businesses and community partners, we're creating an opportunity for residents and stakeholders to connect with resources while celebrating the progress we've made." The event will feature booths staffed by city departments and community partners, family activities, guided tours of the historic Shotgun House led by Santa
Monica Conservancy docents and music by DJ Bukue One. The program will also include a reading by Santa Monica Poet Laureate Jay
Baldwin and performances by the Santa Monica High School Orchestra Ensemble and the Spirit Fingers Trio, featuring Greg Spero, Mohini Dey and Marco Cirigliano.