Nassau
HERALD All the News of the Five Towns
Jerry Berman is remembered
Special-needs help is available
hewlett high grads write a book
Page 4
Page 8
Page 15
Vol. 97 No. 24
JUNE 11 - 17, 2020
Long Island moves into Phase Two capacity. Customers will call the salon when they arrive, and remain outside until they are Long Islanders began taking allowed in. the next steps to a full reopening “The phone is ringing off the of the economy and something hook,” Artz said, noting that approaching life as it was before while she tries to recoup lost revthe coronavirus pandemic with enue, there are added costs durstate-mandated Phase Two mea- ing the reopening: Businesses sures on Wednesday. must provide personal protective For many people, that meant gear such as gloves and masks to getting their hair employees as well as cut. Barbershops the ubiquitous hand and beauty salons sanitizer. had been closed Nassau County since March 22. Ali and the Town of Artz, the owner of Hempstead are Ambiance Salon in expanding a free Hewlett, said she PPE program for was eager to get ali aRtz small businesses. back to work. “I’m The town anexcited to reopen Owner, nounced on Monday and see my clients,” Ambiance Salon that it would give $2 Artz said, adding million of federal that she had lost a quarter of the funding to the county’s Boost year’s revenue because of the Nassau PPE giveaway program closure. for 4,000 kits. To limit the number of people Last week, the county kickin the salon, appointments will started the program with supbe required, some services will port from the Local Economic be limited to certain days, and Assistance Corporation and the the salon will work on a split Nassau County Industrial Develschedule from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. opment Agency, giving out nearArtz added four stations to the ly 1,000 kits. Each contains a nolower level of her store to accom- contact digital forehead thermodate social distancing guide- mometer, five face shields, 400 lines, which call for the use of only 50 percent of a business’s Continued on page 14
By JEFFREY BESSEN jbessen@liherald.com
i
Jeffrey Bessen/Herald
MaRch oRgaNizERS ShUa Auerbach, left, and Lina Mavruk led the procession on Cedarhurst Avenue last Sunday.
Marching for social change Peaceful protest in Cedarhurst and Lawrence By JEFFREY BESSEN jbessen@liherald.com
What was expected to be a small protest involving perhaps 50 people swelled to a crowd of nearly 400 last Sunday as children, adults, Jews and non-Jews, blacks, whites and Latinos marched from Andrew J. Parise Park in Cedarhurst to Lawrence and back to show their support for the Black Lives Matter movement and their opposition to
racism, chanting “No justice, no peace!” and “Black lives matter!” Participants gathered in Cedarhurst Park, on Cedarhurst Avenue, and headed to Central Avenue. Marching west along Central, through Cedarhurst and Lawrence, they kept to a pledge made to village officials that they would refrain from chanting, but when the march turned north at the corner at Central
and Rockaway Turnpike, the chants began. Shua Auerbach, one of the organizers, said that the purpose of the march was to support the Black Lives Matter movement and protect the rights of free speech and free assembly. “I think . . . having this march definitely opens up a lot of awareness and support in the community, and I think it’s a very positive thing Continued on page 3
’m excited to reopen and see my clients.