Freeport Herald Leader

Page 1

Freeport

HERALD Leader

De la Salle holds parade for grads

FHS names top two students

National Night out set Aug. 4

Page 3

Page 2

Page 5

Vol. 85 No. 25

JUNE 18 - 24, 2020

$1.00

District holds budget, BOE trustee election By roNNy rEyES rreyes@liherald.com

As of press time Wednesday afternoon, ballots were still being counted to see if Freeport residents approved the school district’s $188 million budget for the 2 0 2 0 - 2 1 s ch o o l year. Along with the budget, residents also voted on whether to increase the tax levy 2.92 percent, the first time the district would allow the levy to rise after lowering it for five straight years. Despite significant state aid cuts because of the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic, the proposed budget, if approved, would maintain current staff and academic programs at district schools. Residents also voted on the $2.5 million Proposition No. 3, which would give the district the go-ahead to spend capital reserves on several renovation projects throughout the district. Some of the projects include

district-wide renovations to restrooms, classrooms, ceilings, playgrounds and air-conditioning units. District officials also said they hoped to renovate the science classrooms at Atkinson Middle School and Freeport High School, along with replacing the cupola at the Archer Street School. According to state restrictions, the district will not be able to transfer funds for capital, facilities, supplies and equipment until the end of the year. In the Board of Education trustee race, residents chose two of the three candidates running. Vilma Lancaster and Ronald Ellerbe were the incumbents, challenged by Donna Raphael. Residents also voted on the Freeport Memorial Library’s estimated $6.5 million budget for 2020-21. The proposed spendi n g p l a n wo u l d r a i s e t h e library’s tax levy by 1.81 percent, which would be below the cap.

For the latest results, go to liherald.com/ freeport.

Christina Daly/Herald

CUStomErS HAVE rEtUrNED to the Nautical Mile as Freeport enters Phase Two of reopening.

Phase Two in full swing

Local businesses embrace chance to reopen By roNNy rEyES rreyes@liherald.com

Business owners throughout Freeport are embracing Phase Two of reopening as they begin to accommodate customers for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic began in March. Richard Duffy, one of the co-owners of Halfway Down, on Woodcleft Avenue, said he was happy the restaurant was allowed to seat people outdoors, despite the scramble to

set up the eatery for alfresco dining. The popular restaurant, which normally seats 90 people, will be able to serve about 30 in its outdoor space. “Business has been bad because of the pandemic,” Duffy said. “We were down 90 percent from last year, so hopefully the curve continues to flatten, and we can start operating at full capacity as summer starts. If that can happen, we’ll be OK.” It’s not just restaurants

that are reopening with limited capacity. Phase Two also includes in-store retail business, salons and barbershops. Bob Varghese, of Vincente Jewelers, on Atlantic Avenue, said he was glad to be open again after the closures left his business hurting. Varghese has been in business for about 20 years, so he is thankful that his customers are starting to return bit by bit. “Closing was terrible for a small business like mine, but Continued on page 4


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.