Skip to main content

Epaper_26-4-9 KHI

Page 1

In partnership with

Profit

Thursday, 9 April, 2026 | 20 Shawwal, 1447

Rs 20.00 | Vol XVII No 14 | 8 Pages | Karachi Edition

HoPES, fEArS SwIrl AS PAkIStAn SEt to HoSt US-IrAn CEASEfIrE tAlkS on SAtUrDAy FOLLOWING TWO-WEEKS US-IRAN CEASEFIRE

g

PM SHEHBAZ INVITES US, IRANIAN DELEGATIONS TO ISLAMABAD ON APRIL 10 FOR ‘PEACE TALKS’

g

PREMIER SHEHBAZ EXPRESSES HOPE TALKS WOULD RESULT IN LASTING PEACE, THANKS GULF STATES FOR COMMITMENT TO PEACE g

P

g

IRANIAN PRESIDENT CONFIRMS PARTICIPATION IN TALKS WITH TEAM TO BE LED BY SPEAKER QALIBAF, FM ABBAS ARAGHCHI

g TRUMP DISPATCHES JD PRESIDENT TRUMP SAYS US WOULD WORK VANCE–LED DELEGATION FOR CLOSELY WITH IRAN, INCLUDING DISCUSSIONS ISLAMABAD NEGOTIATIONS ON TARIFF AND SANCTIONS RELIEF

Cabinet hails PM Shehbaz, Gen Munir as Pakistan marks 'Day of Gratitude' ISLAMABAD Mian abrar

ISLAMABAD

SaleeM Jadoon/agenCieS

RIME MINISTER Shehbaz Sharif on Wednesday said Islamabad would host delegations from the United States and Iran for “the first round of negotiations scheduled for Saturday,” following the announcement of a two-week ceasefire brokered by Pakistan that has drawn worldwide applause and support. United States President Donald Trump is dispatching his Iran negotiating team, led by Vice President JD Vance, to Pakistan for talks, the White House confirmed on Wednesday, with the first round of negotiations scheduled for Saturday Earlier, the prime minister announced that both Iran and the United States, along with their allies, had agreed to an immediate cease-

JD Vance to lead US delegation to Islamabad for Iran talks WASHINGTON/ISLAMABAD

Staff report and agenCieS

fire “everywhere, including Lebanon,” effective immediately. He also invited delegations from both countries to Islamabad on April 10 to negotiate a conclusive settlement. The confirmation of talks comes as initial relief over the US–Iran truce gave way to renewed concern, with fighting persisting across the region. Israel launched its heaviest strikes yet on Lebanon, while Iran targeted Gulf neighbours’ oil facilities, underscoring the fragility of the ceasefire. US President Donald Trump endorsed the two-week truce shortly before a self-imposed deadline for Tehran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, describing it in a Truth Social post as “a big day for world peace” and signalling Washington’s support for regional stability, including ensuring safe passage through the strategic waterway.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Wednesday chaired a key federal cabinet meeting, where members celebrated Pakistan’s diplomatic gains following the US-Iran ceasefire, applauding the premier’s leadership and serving sweets during the session. The cabinet decided to observe a “day of gratitude” and urged the nation to offer prayers for the success of ongoing peace negotiations. Members also paid tribute to Chief of Army Staff Asim Munir—recently elevated as Field Marshal—for his role in advancing regional stability. Congratulations were also extended to Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar for his diplomatic efforts. Addressing the meeting, the prime minister said Pakistan’s stature on the global stage had significantly risen due to its proactive role in facilitating dialogue. He praised the coordinated efforts of the civil and military leadership, particularly Field Marshal Munir and Dar, in helping create conditions conducive to the ceasefire. Shehbaz noted that the first phase of the ceasefire between the United States and Iran had been successfully implemented and expressed optimism about the next round of negotiations scheduled for Friday.

United States President Donald Trump is dispatching his Iran negotiating team, led by Vice President JD Vance, to Pakistan for talks, the White House confirmed on Wednesday, with the first round scheduled for Saturday. “US team will be led by VP JD Vance and include Witkoff and Kushner,” the White House said. Iran, reeling from the loss of several veteran political leaders in the ongoing conflict, is expected to be represented by Parliament Speaker and former Revolutionary Guards commander Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, alongside Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. White House Press Secretary Kaitlin Leavitt said President Trump will continue discussions with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the possibility of including Lebanon in an Iran ceasefire deal. “This will continue to be discussed between the president, Prime Minister Netanyahu, the United States, Israel, and all parties involved,” she told reporters. The announcement comes as relief over the US–Iran truce was tempered by renewed regional violence. Israel launched its heaviest strikes yet on Lebanon, while Iran targeted Gulf neighbours’ oil facilities, highlighting the fragility of the ceasefire.

CONTINUED ON PAGE 03

CONTINUED ON PAGE 03

CONTINUED ON PAGE 03

Pakistan, Afghanistan agree to restraint in China-brokered talks: Beijing BEIJING/ISLAMABAD Staff report

Pakistan and Afghanistan have agreed to avoid any escalation in their armed conflict following a week of China-hosted talks, China said on Wednesday, signalling a tentative diplomatic opening amid heightened tensions between the two neighbours. “Representatives from China, Afghanistan and Pakistan held a week of informal meetings in Urumqi, Xinjiang, from April 1 to 7,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning said. The three delegations “engaged in frank and pragmatic discussions in a positive atmosphere,” she said during a regular news conference in Beijing. According to the spokeswoman, Pakistan and Afghanistan reaffirmed “their commitment to resolving their differences as soon as possible and realising a return to normalcy in bilateral relations,” while agreeing not to take any actions that could escalate or further complicate the situation. The Foreign Office (FO) has yet to issue an official statement on the development and declined to comment when approached. Diplomatic engagement between Pakistan and Afghanistan had largely stalled since Pakistan launched Operation Ghazab lil-Haq against militant hideouts across the border in late February. The talks in China were held under a trilateral mechanism at a time when tensions between Islamabad and Kabul remain elevated following recent cross-border security developments. On April 2, FO spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said during a weekly briefing that while Pakistan was engaged in dialogue with Afghanistan to de-escalate the situation, Kabul must “demonstrate visible and verifiable actions”. He said Pakistan’s participation in the China-hosted talks was “in line with its consistent position and longstanding practice of supporting a credible process that can lead to a durable solution … to stop border terrorism from Afghanistan”. “Our participation is a reiteration of our core concerns,” he said, adding that “the burden of a real process lies with Afghanistan, which must demonstrate visible and verifiable actions against terrorist groups using Afghan soil against Pakistan.”

STRAINED RELATIONS BETWEEN PAKISTAN AND AFGHANISTAN: Security ties between Pakistan and Afghanistan have remained strained, with a resurgence in militancy in Pakistan since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in Kabul in 2021. Islamabad has repeatedly urged the Taliban administration to dismantle militant sanctuaries on Afghan soil, particularly those linked to the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), but officials say these appeals have gone largely unheeded. Operation Ghazab lil-Haq was launched on the night of February 26 following what Pakistan described as unprovoked firing by the Afghan Taliban from across the border. From March 18 to 23, Pakistan observed a five-day temporary pause in the operation on the occasion of Eidul Fitr, with the FO later stating the operation would continue “until its objectives are achieved”. De-escalation appeals from Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkiye were among the factors behind temporary pauses announced by both sides, according to their respective statements. Earlier, Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Asim Munir had said that lasting peace between Pakistan and Afghanistan would only be possible if the Taliban regime “renounced their support for terrorism and terrorist organisations”.

China lauds Pakistan's peace role as Dar leads diplomatic push on Middle East crisis ISLAMABAD

Staff CorreSpondent

Chinese Ambassador Jiang Zaidong on Wednesday commended Pakistan’s “constructive role” in promoting peace and security in the Middle East and Gulf region during a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar. According to a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the envoy conveyed Beijing’s deep appreciation for Islamabad’s diplomatic efforts aimed at de-escalation and stability in a region facing heightened tensions. The acknowledgment comes amid Pakistan’s increasing engagement in facilitating di-

alogue between key global and regional stakeholders. During the meeting, Dar reaffirmed Pakistan’s consistent position that dialogue and diplomacy remain the only viable path to achieving lasting peace in the Middle East and West Asia. Both sides expressed optimism that ongoing diplomatic initiatives would lead to durable peace and security, benefiting all countries in the region. The diplomatic engagement with China comes as Pakistan intensifies its outreach to global and regional partners. Earlier, Dar held a series of high-level telephonic conversations to discuss the evolving situation, including with European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas.

In his conversation with Kallas, Dar highlighted Pakistan’s efforts to promote dialogue and facilitate peace, including its role in creating space for diplomacy that contributed to the initial US-Iran ceasefire. The EU official, in turn, commended Islamabad’s efforts and expressed full support for Pakistan’s ongoing peace initiatives. As part of this diplomatic push, Dar also spoke with Qatar’s Minister of State Mohammed bin Abdulaziz Al-Khulaifi, who appreciated Pakistan’s constructive role in advancing regional stability. The talks underscored Islamabad’s continued engagement with Gulf nations amid rapidly shifting geopolitical dynamics.

World leaders shower praises on Pakistan after US‑Iran ceasefire ISLAMABAD

Staff CorreSpondent

World leaders have eulogised Pakistan's diplomatic push for peace in the Middle East as Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif announced on Wednesday that the United States and Iran had agreed to a two-week ceasefire, marking a temporary but significant halt to the ongoing Middle Eastern conflict. In a post on X, Shehbaz wrote, "With the greatest humility, I am pleased to announce that the Islamic Republic of Iran and the United States of America, along with their allies, have agreed to an immediate ceasefire everywhere, including Lebanon and elsewhere, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY." The prime minister, who played a vital role in mediating the ceasefire, also invited both parties to convene in Islamabad on April 10 "to further negotiate for a conclusive agreement to settle all disputes." "We earnestly hope that the ‘Islamabad Talks’ succeed in achieving sustainable peace and wish to share more good news in coming days!" the prime minister added. Pakistan has played a vital role in aiding diplomatic efforts during the conflict, including hosting consultations with regional powers and facilitating back-channel discussions between Tehran and Washington. Further, Pakistan worked closely with Beijing on a framework that advocates for deescalation, the protection of critical infrastructure, and a comprehensive peace agreement. The announcement has garnered global attention and praise from various world leaders.

UN SECRETARY-GENERAL ANTONIO GUTERRES: The secretary-general expressed his support for the ceasefire in a statement delivered by his spokesperson, Stephane Dujarric. According to a post on X, Guterres called for all parties involved in the conflict to adhere to international law and the ceasefire's terms, expressing "sincere appreciation for the efforts of Pakistan and other countries involved in facilitating the ceasefire."

EU COMMISSION PRESIDENT URSULA VON DER LEYEN: Leyen posted on X, supporting the "two-week ceasefire the US and Iran agreed last night," adding that it brought "much-needed de-escalation." She also thanked Pakistan for its mediation.

In a separate call with Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan, both sides reviewed the latest developments and reaffirmed their commitment to diplomatic engagement as a means to ensure peace and stability. Dar also reached out to Egypt’s Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty, exchanging views on the evolving regional situation and reiterating Pakistan’s commitment to fostering dialogue. Similarly, in a conversation with Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan, the two leaders discussed ongoing developments in the Middle East and broader region. Dar briefed him on Pakistan’s efforts to encourage diplomatic engagement and maintain regional stability.

Achakzai extends ‘unconditional support’ to govt’s Middle East peace push ISLAMABAD

Staff report

UNITED KINGDOM: Prime Minister Keir Starmer welcomed the ceasefire agreement, saying it will "bring a moment of relief to the region and the world." The premier added that the ceasefire must be sustained through collective effort, writing, "Together with our partners we must do all we can to support and sustain this ceasefire, turn it into a lasting agreement and re-open the Strait of Hormuz." British High Commissioner to Pakistan Jane Marriott praised Pakistan’s “quiet, effective” diplomacy in a post on X, expressing gratitude for its role in bringing about "this vital ceasefire."

Opposition Leader in the National Assembly Mehmood Khan Achakzai on Wednesday extended “unconditional support” to the government in its efforts to “mediate peace in the Middle East,” while reiterating his call for former premier Nawaz Sharif, President Asif Ali Zardari and Imran Khan to “come together in the current situation to move the country forward.” “We will provide you unconditional support and are ready to hold talks with the government. Parliament should be the source of power and the centre for decision-making and policy formulation,” Achakzai, chairman of Tehreek-eTahafuz-e-Ayin-e-Pakistan (TTAP), declared while responding to Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar’s speech in the National Assembly, in which he requested the opposition to postpone its protest planned for Thursday. Achakzai recalled his call on Tuesday for former premier Nawaz Sharif, President Zardari, and Imran Khan to sit together and move the country forward. He added that he, along with Senate Opposition Leader Allama Nasir Abbas, would “persuade Imran Khan to engage in political dialogue.” “I had also said earlier that we should not point fingers at each other. At the very least, we should agree on democratic principles,” he stated. Amid desk-thumping in the assembly, Achakzai praised the government’s mediatory role in the Middle East crisis. “I don’t know why you think we are mad. Only a mad person would not be happy with today’s success of Pakistan,” he said, noting that US President Donald Trump had already stated he had achieved his objectives in the war with Iran. He lauded Iran for upholding the honour of all Muslims and suggested that Trump engage in dialogue with all nations.

CONTINUED ON PAGE 03

CONTINUED ON PAGE 03

EU FOREIGN POLICY CHIEF KAJA KALLAS: Kallas also took to X to voice her support for the ceasefire, terming it a "step back from the brink after weeks of escalation." She added that the development "creates a much-needed chance to tone down threats, stop missiles, restart shipping, and create space for diplomacy towards a lasting agreement." "The Strait of Hormuz must be open for passage again," Kallas wrote. She noted that she also spoke to Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, thanking him for securing the deal. "The door to mediation must remain open, as the underlying causes of the war remain unresolved," the chief stated.

EU COUNCIL PRESIDENT ANTÓNIO COSTA: Costa has also posted on X in favour of the temporary ceasefire, urging "all parties to uphold its terms in order to achieve sustainable peace in the region." He vouched for the EU's support for the cause. He also thanked Pakistan's intervention, saying, "I thank Pakistan and all other parties involved in facilitating this agreement."


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook