Skip to main content

Epaper_26-04-13 LHR

Page 1

In partnership with

PAKISTAN URGES CONTINUED CEASEFIRE AS US–IRAN TALKS END WITHOUT AGREEMENT AFTER 21 HOURS Monday, 13 April, 2026 | 24 Shawwal, 1447

g FM DAR CALLS FOR CONTINUED

ADHERENCE TO CEASEFIRE BY BOTH SIDES, REAFFIRMING PAKISTAN’S ROLE AS FACILITATOR IN WASHINGTON–TEHRAN DIALOGUE

Profit

g TALKS DESCRIBED AS

‘SUBSTANTIVE’ BUT FAIL TO BRIDGE KEY DIFFERENCES AS JD VANCE SAYS IRAN REJECTED US TERMS AFTER MARATHON NEGOTIATIONS

g US, IRAN DELEGATIONS DEPART ISLAMABAD; BOTH SIDES

REACHED UNDERSTANDING ON SEVERAL POINTS, BUT ‘VIEWS FAR APART’ ON TWO TO THREE ISSUES

D

ISLAMABAD

ISLAMABAD

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ismail Baghaei has said that the success of the Islamabad talks depends on the United States demonstrating seriousness and good faith, stressing that no agreement should be expected from a single round of negotiations. In a message posted on X, the spokesperson said that no party had anticipated a quick breakthrough, noting that the complexity of issues and prevailing circumstances were key factors in the negotiations. He added that new topics were also introduced during the talks, and Iran would continue its diplomatic efforts to safeguard its rights and interests. Baghaei said it had been a long and intensive day for the Iranian delegation in Islamabad, where negotiations—initiated in the morning under Pakistan’s facilitation—continued without interruption. During the talks, multiple messages and

TEHRAN

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Sunday that Tehran is ready to reach a “balanced and fair agreement” that would ensure lasting peace and security in the region, according to Tasnim News Agency. Masoud Pezeshkian made the remarks during a phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin, as the two leaders discussed regional developments after Saturday's IranUS talks in Islamabad mediated by

g IRAN SAYS SUCCESS OF DIPLOMACY DEPENDS ON

‘GOOD FAITH’ OF COUNTERPART, INSISTING WILL NEVER COMPROMISE ON NATIONAL INTEREST

ISLAMABAD

cepting Pakistan’s invitation to the Islamabad Talks. Dar said he, along with Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, “helped mediate several rounds of intense and constructive negotiations between the two sides, which continued over the past 24 hours and concluded this morning.” Following the breakdown of talks, the US delegation departed Pakistan on Sunday morning after US Vice President JD Vance an-

nounced that no agreement had been reached in the negotiations that began on Saturday afternoon. Iranian state media, including Press TV and Mehr, also reported the departure of the Iranian delegation. Later, Dar shared a video of the delegation’s departure on X, with both sides seen off by the foreign minister, Field Marshal Munir, National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq, and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi.

Continued on page 03

written drafts were exchanged between the parties. He said discussions covered the Strait of Hormuz, nuclear issues, compensation for war damages, lifting of sanctions, and a complete end to hostilities in the region. While consensus was reached on several points, he noted that differences on two to three key issues prevented a comprehensive agreement. He added that consultations and contacts between Iran, Pakistan, and other friendly regional countries would continue. “Diplomacy never ends; it is a means of safeguarding national interests,” he said, reiterating that the success of the process depends on the opposing side demonstrating seriousness, goodwill, and recognition of Iran’s legitimate rights and interests. Islamabad Talks Laid Foundation for Diplomatic Process: Iran’s Ambassador Iran’s Ambassador to Pakistan, Reza Amiri Moghadam, has said that the Islamabad talks laid the

foundation for a diplomatic process which, if trust and political will are strengthened, can establish a sustainable framework for the interests of all parties. In a post on X, he said the Islamabad talks were “not an event but a process.” He also expressed gratitude to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Field Marshal Asim Munir for what he described as their “initiative of goodwill and good office” in facilitating the talks. He noted that with the tireless efforts of all Pakistani institutions— including the government, armed forces, police, and security agencies—the negotiations were held in a dignified, calm, and secure environment, with equal logistical arrangements for both sides. He further stated that the Iranian high-level delegation pursued the talks with dignity, self-confidence, and faith in Allah Almighty, while remaining focused on safeguarding the national interests and legitimate rights of the Iranian people.

tehran ready to reach ‘balanced' deal that guarantees lasting regional peace: pezeshkian AnAdolu Agency

OVER IRAN’S NUCLEAR PROGRAMME, LAUDING PAKISTAN FOR ‘INCREDIBLE HOSTING’ AND MEDIATION EFFORTS

Pakistan amid a two-week Washington-Tehran ceasefire. Iranian and US delegations concluded 21 hours of talks in Islamabad early Sunday, without reaching an agreement. The Iranian president said the main obstacle to reaching an agreement is “double standards” by the US. “Iran is fully prepared to reach a balanced and fair agreement that guarantees lasting peace and security in the region,” Pezeshkian said, adding that a deal would be achievable “if Washington adheres to international legal frameworks.”

Putin, for his part, criticized Western double standards, and stressed the need to respect Iran’s national sovereignty and territorial integrity. He also backed Iran’s legitimate positions, including demands for compensation over damages caused by recent military attacks and the need for long-term security guarantees to prevent their recurrence. Earlier, according to a statement from the Kremlin, President Pezeshkian conveyed an assessment of US-Iran talks held in Islamabad a day earlier during a phone call with his Russian counterpart. “The Iranian president assessed the US-Iran talks held in Islamabad on April 11 and expressed gratitude for Russia's principled position, including on international platforms, aimed at de-escalating the situation,” it added. Pezeshkian also thanked Russia for the humanitarian aid it has provided, the statement said, noting that Putin, for his part, emphasised his readiness to continue to facilitate the search for a diplomatic settlement and to mediate “in the interests of establishing a just and lasting peace in the Middle East”.

Vance leaves islamabad as uS-iran talks collapse ISLAMABAD

stAff report

Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar on Sunday held key telephonic talks with his counterparts from Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Turkiye, reaffirming Pakistan’s commitment to continued diplomatic engagement, dialogue, and ceasefire consolidation efforts aimed at promoting peace in the region, according to the Foreign Office (FO). The conversations came after the conclusion of US–Iran talks held in Islamabad early Sunday morning, which ended without reaching any agreement. In a statement, the Foreign Office said DPM/FM Dar first spoke with Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan, during which he shared updates on the Islamabad Talks and underscored the importance of all parties strictly adhering to their ceasefire commitments. He reaffirmed Pakistan’s resolve to continue supporting diplomatic efforts and sustained dialogue for lasting peace and stability in the Middle East and beyond.

US Vice President JD Vance departed Islamabad on Sunday after high-level talks between the United States and Iran concluded without an agreement, following nearly 21 hours of continuous negotiations. According to a pool report, Vance left shortly after addressing a press conference at the venue of the trilateral “Islamabad talks”, which had begun on Saturday afternoon and stretched into a marathon diplomatic effort. “We have been at it now for 21 hours, and we have had a number of substantive discussions, that’s the good news,” Vance said. “The bad news is that we have not reached an agreement.” He stated that the United States had clearly communicated its red lines during the discussions, outlining areas where it was prepared to show flexibility and others where it would not compromise. However, he said, the Iranian delegation chose not to accept those terms. “We have made very clear what our red lines are, what things we are willing to accommodate them on and what things we are not willing to accommodate them on,” he said, adding that Tehran did not agree to the US position.

Continued on page 03

Continued on page 03

stAff report

No quick deal possible as Islamabad Talks show partial consensus: Iran stAff report

g US INSISTS ON FIRM GUARANTEE

dar reinforces ceasefire commitments, engages regional partners after ‘islamabad talks’

sAleem jAdoon

EPUTY Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar on Sunday urged the United States and Iran to remain committed to the ceasefire, following the conclusion of historic face-to-face talks in Islamabad that ended without an agreement after 21 hours of intensive negotiations. Addressing a press conference after the talks, Dar said it was “imperative that the parties continue to uphold their commitment to the ceasefire,” stressing the need for sustained diplomatic engagement to preserve momentum for peace. He reaffirmed Pakistan’s readiness to continue playing a facilitative role in promoting dialogue between Washington and Tehran, expressing hope that both sides would “continue with the positive spirit to achieve durable peace and prosperity for the entire region and beyond.” The foreign minister thanked Iran and the United States for responding to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s ceasefire call and for ac-

Rs 20.00 | Vol XVII No 18 | 8 Pages | Lahore Edition


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Epaper_26-04-13 LHR by Pakistan Today - Issuu