In partnership with
PM URGES PROVINCES TO RELEASE ‘FUEL SUBSIDY FUNDS,’ COMMENDS BALOCHISTAN’S TIMELY SHARE
Profit
Monday, 6 April, 2026 | 17 Shawwal, 1447
g PREMIER SHEHBAZ ASSURES
TRANSPARENT DISBURSEMENT THROUGH DIGITAL WALLETS AND SUFFICIENT NATIONAL FUEL RESERVES
g FUEL SUBSIDY INITIATIVE TARGETS
AMID CHALLENGING ECONOMIC AND REGIONAL CONDITIONS
P
ISLAMABAD
Saleem jadoon
taking the lead in delivering fuel quotas. Collectively, provinces are pooling around Rs200 billion for three months, in line with their National Finance Commission (NFC) shares — approximately Rs100 billion from Punjab, Rs51–52 billion from Sindh, Rs15 billion from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Rs8–9 billion from Balochistan. While disbursements were initially scheduled to begin Monday, the process was launched on Saturday. Provinces have shared details with
the federal government regarding the number of public transport buses, trucks, and goods vehicles eligible for the subsidies. The prime minister reiterated that the government is taking, and will continue to take, all possible measures to provide relief to the public amid challenging times. He reviewed progress on the implementation of petroleum subsidies, national fuel reserves, and consumption, while being briefed on subsidy distribution.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 03
37 militants killed as security forces foil Taliban attack in Ghulam Khan sector ISLAMABAD
Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Attaullah Tarar on Sunday said Pakistan’s security forces successfully foiled an attempted attack by the Afghan Taliban and by the Fitna al-Khawarij on a border post in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Ghulam Khan Sector, killing 37 attackers and injuring more than 80, state broadcaster PTV News reported. “The incident occurred on the night of April 2–3 during the ongoing Operation Ghazab Lil-Haq,” the minister said. Operation Ghazab Lil-Haq was launched on Feb 26 following cross-border firing by the Afghan Taliban in various KP sectors. After a temporary pause on March 18 at the request of “broth-
erly Islamic countries,” Pakistan resumed the operation on March 26, vowing to continue “until its objectives are achieved.” In a post on X, Tarar said, “During the night of April 2–3, an attempt to physically attack a border post in Ghulam Khan Sector by Afghan Taliban/Fitna al Khawarij was comprehensively foiled, resulting in heavy casualties, including up to 37 sent to hell and 80+ injured.” 796 terrorists linked to Fitna alKhawarij and Afghan Taliban killed in Operation Ghazab Lil-Haq Providing a broader update on Operation Ghazab Lil-Haq, the minister stated that as of 5pm on April 5, 796 militants linked to Fitna alKhawarij and the Afghan Taliban had been killed, while over 1,043 were injured. Security forces have destroyed 286 militant check posts
and captured 44 others, significantly weakening militant infrastructure. He added that 249 tanks, armoured vehicles, artillery guns, and drones have been destroyed during the operation. Additionally, 81 terrorist and support infrastructure locations across Afghanistan were effectively targeted through air strikes. “The operation continues to decisively target militants, ensuring border security and stability in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa,” the minister said, highlighting the operation’s success in neutralising threats and degrading terrorist capabilities. Operation Ghazab Lil-Haq, now in its fourth month, underscores Pakistan’s commitment to counter-terrorism and safeguarding citizens against cross-border attacks and militant threats along the western frontier.
Dar, Saudi FM push for urgent de-escalation as Pakistan steps up Middle East diplomacy
ISLAMABAD
Staff report
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar on Sunday held a telephonic conversation with Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud, during which the two leaders reviewed the evolving situation in the Middle East and underscored the urgent need for de-escalation to ensure regional peace and stability, the Foreign Office (FO) said. In a statement posted on X, the FO said both leaders agreed to remain in close contact as tensions con-
THREE-MONTH RELIEF PACKAGE IN LINE WITH THEIR NATIONAL FINANCE COMMISSION (NFC) SHARES
g PASSENGER BUSES TO GET RS100,000/MONTH;
TRUCKS RS70,000–80,000; DELIVERY VANS RS35,000/MONTH
Energy Crunch, Citizen Relief: Balochistan, KP enforce market, event timings to conserve energy
Sindh CM secures transporters’ nod to freeze fares, shield commuters from soaring fuel costs
Staff report
Staff report
QUETTA/PESHAWAR
OPERATION GHAZAB LIL-HAQ
Staff report
g RS200B POOLED BY PROVINCES FOR
MOTORCYCLISTS, PUBLIC AND GOODS TRANSPORT OPERATORS TO CHECK PRICE HIKE
g PM REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO PUBLIC RELIEF
RIME Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Sunday urged provinces to release their “committed funds” for fuel subsidies to facilitate motorcyclists, public transport, and goods transport operators, commending the Balochistan government for paying its share in the package, according to a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO). “The government has started the disbursement of subsidies to owners of motorcycles, trucks, and public transport operators transparently and securely through digital wallets, and I hope other provinces, like Balochistan, will also release their share soon,” the prime minister said while presiding over a meeting to review austerity measures. PM Shehbaz lauded Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfaraz Bugti for promptly disbursing the provincial share under the federal austerity package, terming it “commendable.” On Thursday, the federal government announced targeted relief measures to provide subsidised fuel, ending the blanket subsidy for all economic classes, with provinces
Rs 50.00 | Vol XVII No 11 | 44 Pages | Islamabad Edition
tinue to intensify in the region. This marked the second telephonic conversation between the two foreign ministers in as many days, reflecting heightened diplomatic engagement amid the ongoing conflict. The Middle East has witnessed a sharp escalation, with the United States and Israel launching strikes against Iran, followed by Tehran’s counterattacks across the Gulf, raising concerns of a wider regional confrontation. On Friday, Dar and his Saudi counterpart had also discussed the Pakistan-China five-point initiative aimed at defusing tensions arising
from the US-Israeli war on Iran. The proposal — put forward during Dar’s recent visit to China — calls for an immediate ceasefire, initiation of peace talks, protection of civilian and commercial infrastructure including shipping lanes, and adherence to the United Nations Charter. A day earlier, Dar held separate telephonic conversations with his counterparts from Egypt, Bahrain, and Iran, focusing on bilateral ties, the evolving regional situation, and coordinated efforts for de-escalation. According to the FO, Dar spoke with Egypt’s Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty, with both sides stressing the importance of dialogue and diplomatic engagement, and agreeing to remain in close coordination. In a separate call with Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani, Dar highlighted the Pakistan-China initiative and discussed multilateral diplomatic efforts, including at the United Nations Security Council. The Bahraini foreign minister appreciated Pakistan’s role in promoting dialogue and regional stability. “FM Dar underscored the urgent need for de-escalation and emphasised the importance of dialogue and diplomacy,” the FO said.
KARACHI
The governments of Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on Sunday announced a series of energy conservation measures, including new closure timings for markets, eateries, and wedding halls, as part of an austerity campaign aimed at offsetting the impact of rising global fuel prices, according to official statements. The move comes as provinces roll out relief measures for citizens affected by the global oil crisis. In Sindh and Punjab, similar initiatives include subsidies for motorcyclists, transporters, and small-scale farmers. Balochistan’s Restrictions According to a notification from the Balochistan Home Department, all markets and shopping centers must close by 8pm, while pharmacies, bakeries, and tandoors are exempted. The notification also directed that wedding halls, banquet halls, and hotels must conclude events by 10pm, with restaurants required to close by 10pm. Law enforcement and district administration have been tasked with strict enforcement, with violators liable under relevant laws.
Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah on Sunday announced a province-wide fare freeze after successful negotiations with transporters, underlining the government’s commitment to protect citizens — especially low-income commuters — from rising transportation costs amid global fuel price hikes. Addressing a press conference at the Chief Minister’s House, CM Murad said transporters operating both inter-city and intra-city routes had agreed to maintain fares at the Feb 28, 2026 rates, following a series of consultations. The decision comes as provinces respond to global oil price increases with relief measures for the public. In Sindh and Punjab, these include subsidies for motorcyclists, transporters, and small-scale farmers. Flanked by provincial ministers, transporters’ representatives, and top government officials, the CM was joined via video link by divisional commissioners and regional transport authorities. “I am thankful to the transporters for supporting the government’s relief efforts in the national interest,” a CM House press release quoted Murad as saying.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 03
CONTINUED ON PAGE 03