Skip to main content

Epaper_26-03-28 KHI

Page 1

In partnership with

Profit

Saturday, 28 March, 2026 | 8 Shawwal, 1447

Rs 20.00 | Vol XVII No 2 | 8 Pages | Karachi Edition

TEHRAN WARNS ISRAEL OF ‘HEAVY PRICE’ AFTER STRIKES ON NUCLEAR SITES, STEEL PLANTS AMID DIPLOMATIC DEADLINE

g IRANIAN FM ARAGHCHI VOWS

g US SECRETARY OF STATE SAYS CONFLICT

g AT LEAST 1,937 KILLED IN IRAN AND

g ISRAEL ISSUES DISPLACEMENT ORDERS

RETALIATION AFTER ATTACKS ON STEEL FACTORIES, NUCLEAR AND POWER SITES 1,100 IN SOUTHERN LEBANON SO FAR IN US-ISRAELI AIRSTRIKES

EXPECTED TO LAST ‘WEEKS, NOT MONTHS’ WITHOUT GROUND TROOPS FOR RESIDENTS SOUTH OF THE ZAHRANI RIVER IN LEBANON

g GERMANY WARNS US-ISRAEL WAR UNLIKELY TO ACHIEVE REGIME CHANGE;

STEINMEIER CALLS IT A “DISASTROUS MISTAKE”

ISLAMABAD ReuteRs

I

staff RepoRt / agencies

RANIAN Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Friday warned Israel of a “heavy price” after airstrikes targeted steel factories, a power plant, and civilian nuclear sites, among other infrastructure, in apparent coordination with the United States—despite a deadline extended by President Donald Trump for diplomacy. “Iran will exact a heavy price for Israeli crimes,” FM Araghchi vowed, reiterating Tehran’s firm stance against the attacks.Human toll escalates in Iran and Lebanon Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Ishaq

Dar confirmed that Islamabad is actively relaying messages between US and Iranian officials as part of mediation efforts to end the conflict. Turkey and Egypt are also supporting diplomatic engagement, while Iran’s Deputy Health Minister Ali Jafarian told Al Jazeera that at least 1,937 people have been killed in US-Israeli attacks on Iranian territory. Meanwhile, Israel has issued displacement orders for all residents of southern Lebanon living south of the Zahrani River, approximately 50 km (31 miles) from the Israeli border, as Lebanon’s Health Ministry reports more than 1,100 fatalities in Israeli attacks since March 2. Fresh Israeli attacks came despite

Gulf Arab states are telling the United States that any deal with Tehran should do more than end the war and must permanently curb Iran's missile and drone capabilities and ensure global energy supplies are never again "weaponized," four Gulf sources said. US President Donald Trump has extended his deadline for Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, which carries about 20% of global oil and liquefied natural gas supplies, or face the destruction of its energy plants. But the big question confronting Gulf policymakers is no longer how the Iran war ends, but what kind of regional order follows, the four Gulf sources with knowledge of the matter told Reuters. A ceasefire alone isn’t enough Gulf officials, whose countries have been repeatedly fired on by Tehran during the US-Israeli war on Iran, have told Washington in private

President Trump extending a 10-day deadline to Iran—pushing it to April 6— for reopening the blockaded Strait of Hor-

meetings that the Islamic Republic has left them no diplomatic "off-ramp", the sources said. The officials want any deal to lock in enforceable restraints on missile and drone attacks on energy and civilian assets, threats to oil and shipping routes, and proxy warfare, the sources added. Any agreement must rewrite the rules of engagement by providing guarantees that the Strait of Hormuz is never again used as a tool of war, and Gulf states must be written into the architecture of what comes next, they say. "The real challenge is not persuading Iran to stop the war, but ensuring the Gulf is not left exposed to the same dynamics that made it possible in the first place," Ebtessam Al‑Kerbi, president of the Emirates Policy Centre, told Reuters. Yousef al‑Otaiba, the United Arab Emirates’ ambassador to the US, has framed the war not as a crisis to be frozen but as a test of whether Iran can still hold the global economy hostage afterwards.

muz, while claiming talks with Tehran on a peace deal were “going very well.”

ContInUed on pAGe 03

Fuel prices held back as govt absorbs Rs125b hit amid global oil crisis: pM ISLAMABAD

Centre, provinces reach consensus on App based fuel quota system for targeted subsidy

saleeM Jadoon

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Friday announced that he had once again rejected a proposal to sharply increase the prices of petrol and high-speed diesel (HSD), saying the government was absorbing the burden through a Rs100 billion cut in the development budget and strict austerity measures to shield the public from rising costs, state media reported. Addressing the nation in a televised speech, the premier said he had received a summary recommending an increase of Rs95 per litre in petrol and Rs203 per litre in HSD. “It must be clear to you that every litre of petrol you fill reflects the government’s policy of austerity and its sense of responsibility,” he emphasized. However, he added, he had rejected the proposal in view of the global fuel crisis triggered by the ongoing US-Israeli war on Iran, which began on February 28, according to a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office. The move comes just a week after the premier turned down a similar recommendation to raise petrol prices by Rs76 per litre and HSD by Rs177 per litre. He had also earlier rejected another increase following a surge in global oil prices on March 13. In the wake of the Middle East conflict, the government had already announced unprecedented austerity measures on March 9, alongside earlier hikes in petroleum prices as part of its

ISLAMABAD

staff RepoRt

The federal and provincial governments on Friday agreed to roll out a mobile application-based quota system for fuel distribution aimed at delivering targeted subsidies to low-income users of two- and three-wheelers while minimising leakages of public funds. The decision was taken at a highlevel consultative meeting chaired by Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb, where participants stressed the need to fast-track a technology-driven framework ensuring transparent and efficient subsidy delivery. The Ministry of Finance said both tiers of government would maintain close coordination to operationalise the system at the earliest. Officials noted with satisfaction that the country’s fuel supply remained stable, following a detailed briefing by the Petroleum Division on the availability of petroleum products nationwide. A key presentation by the Ministry

initial response to the crisis. Describing the global situation as “extraordinary and extremely challenging,” PM Shehbaz said even major economies were struggling to cope.

ISLAMABAD

staff RepoRt

Gulf states tell US ending war not enough, Iran’s capabilities must be degraded

TEHRAN/WASHINGTON/TEL AVIV

Naqvi, Zaidong decide to hold business conference to allay Chinese investors concerns

of Information Technology and Telecommunication outlined the proposed digital mechanism, focusing on automation, transparency, and improved targeting. The system is designed to ensure subsidies reach only eligible segments, particularly low-income users dependent on motorcycles and rickshaws. Provincial leaders also weighed in on policy options. Murad Ali Shah appreciated federal efforts to maintain uninterrupted fuel supplies, while calling for behavioural changes to encourage fuel conservation. Punjab Senior Minister Marriyum Aurangzeb emphasised the need for flexible policy responses to fluctuating global oil prices and stressed that any relief from declining international rates must be passed on to consumers. Meanwhile, Muzzammil Aslam commended the federal government’s handling of petroleum supplies, noting that Pakistan’s performance remained comparatively better than several regional countries.

“Even developed countries, with abundant resources, are facing severe economic pressures,” he noted, adding that Pakistan had anticipated the crisis and taken difficult but timely decisions.

He reiterated that despite the recommendation for steep increases, the government had chosen to bear the burden itself. “The federal government will absorb Rs56 billion this week alone so that the people do not have to shoulder it,” he said. Highlighting the scale of the subsidy, the premier said that based on international prices, petrol should currently cost Rs544 per litre in Pakistan, but was being provided at Rs322. Similarly, HSD should be priced at Rs790 per litre, but was being sold at Rs335 to ease public hardship. “These may seem like numbers, but over the past three weeks, the government has borne a historic burden of Rs125 billion so that you do not have to,” he said. PM Shehbaz acknowledged that the same funds could have been used for development projects, but stressed that “nothing is more important at this moment than your economic security.” He urged citizens to adopt responsible consumption habits, calling for a “revolutionary change” in daily life. “Before travelling, ask whether it is necessary — whether every trip by car or motorcycle is essential,” he said, stressing that austerity was no longer optional but a collective national responsibility. He also noted that while many countries were facing fuel shortages, long queues, and skyrocketing prices, Pakistan had managed to stabilise supply and cushion the impact of inflation through timely interventions.

Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi and Chinese Ambassador to Pakistan Jiang Zaidong on Friday agreed to hold a business conference aimed at addressing security concerns of Chinese investors in the country, according to an official statement. The meeting, held in Islamabad, focused on counterterrorism, security cooperation, police exchange programs, and regional security dynamics. “During the meeting, it was decided to organize a business conference to address the security concerns faced by Chinese investors in Pakistan,” the Interior Ministry said. The initiative will be rolled out in two phases: the first will involve consultations with the Chinese business community currently operating in Pakistan, while the second will engage potential investors looking to invest in the country. The ministry, however, did not provide specific dates for the proposed conference. During the discussion, Minister Naqvi informed the Chinese envoy that a Special Protection Unit (SPU) was being established to ensure the safety of foreign nationals. “The unit will specifically safeguard Chinese citizens in Islamabad,” he was quoted as saying. “Personnel of the Special Protection Unit will also receive Chinese language training as part of their preparation.” The announcement comes amid heightened concerns raised by Beijing over attacks on Chinese nationals by militant groups, including the Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) and the Pakistani Taliban, targeting workers involved in energy and infrastructure projects in Pakistan. In response, Islamabad has increased security deployments and strengthened intelligence coordination to protect Chinese nationals, while Beijing has called for more structured and predictable security arrangements. China remains a key ally and major investor in Pakistan, pledging over $65 billion under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) for road, infrastructure, and development projects. Several Chinese private sector firms have also undertaken joint ventures across Pakistan. However, Chinese nationals have long faced threats from militant groups, particularly Baloch separatists, who accuse Beijing of facilitating exploitation of mineral resources in the underdeveloped southwestern province of Balochistan—home to China’s strategic port and mining interests.

Islamabad offers Bangladesh Hajj management support to enhance pilgrim experience ISLAMABAD

staff RepoRt

Pakistan has offered to share its Hajj management experience with Bangladesh to help improve pilgrims experience through closer cooperation, state-run Radio Pakistan reported. In a meeting with Bangladesh High Commissioner to Pakistan Iqbal Hussain Khan in Islamabad, Religious Affairs Minister Sardar Muhammad Yousaf said that improving Hajj and Umrah arrangements for pilgrims remains a top priority of his government, the Radio Pakistan said. “Pakistan ranks second in the world in terms of the number of Hajj pilgrims, and is ready to share its experience in Hajj management with Bangladesh,” Yousaf was quoted as saying. “Mutual cooperation between the two countries can further facilitate pilgrims.” Pakistan and Bangladesh were part of the same country until Bangladesh’s secession following a bloody civil war in 1971, an event that long cast a shadow over bilateral ties. Both countries have moved closer since 2024, following the ouster of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina who was considered an India. Around 179,210 pilgrims from Pakistan will perform Hajj this year, according to the religious ministry. Of these, around 120,000 pilgrims will travel under the government scheme, while the rest will go through private tour operators.

pakistan gains global backing for mediation as Kuwait, China endorse peace efforts in Iran–US crisis ISLAMABAD Mian abRaR

Pakistan’s diplomatic push to mediate between Iran and the United States gathered further international support on Friday, with both Kuwait and China endorsing Islamabad’s role in efforts aimed at de-escalating tensions in the Middle East. In a telephone conversation, Shehbaz Sharif briefed Sheikh Sabah Al Khaled Al Hamad Al Sabah on Pakistan’s ongoing diplomatic engagement to help end the conflict. According to a statement issued by the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), the Kuwaiti crown prince “fully endorsed” Pakistan’s mediation efforts and appreciated the prime minister’s leadership during the crisis. During the call, Prime Minister Shehbaz strongly condemned recent attacks on Kuwait and expressed solidarity with its people, offering condolences over the loss of lives and prayers for the injured. The Kuwaiti leadership, in turn, thanked Pakistan for its continued support and acknowledged

the prime minister’s earlier message of solidarity. The crown prince also conveyed his desire to visit Pakistan once the regional situation stabilises. The development comes as Pakistan assumes a central role in facilitating indirect dialogue between United States and Iran, in coordination with regional partners including Türkiye and Egypt. Officials confirmed that communication between Washington and Tehran is ongoing through structured message exchanges rather than direct contact. Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar revealed that Pakistan has relayed a 15-point framework from the US side, which is currently under consideration by Iran. He noted that Ankara and Cairo are actively supporting the mediation process. Diplomatic sources indicated that Islamabad has emerged as a preferred venue for potential initial engagements, despite significant differences remaining between the two sides. A senior regional diplomat highlighted the pivotal role of Asim Munir, who has maintained direct contact with Iranian For-

eign Minister Abbas Araghchi while also relaying positions communicated by the US. Tehran is said to view Islamabad’s involvement positively, citing Pakistan’s “comparatively balanced position” during the crisis and considering it a more reliable partner than many other countries in the Muslim world. Additionally, Field Marshal Munir’s reported rapport with Donald Trump is seen as a potential avenue for facilitating dialogue. China has also thrown its weight behind Pakistan’s diplomatic initiative. In a separate telephone call with Ishaq Dar, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi underscored that initiating peace talks in the ongoing conflict “is no easy task,” but stressed that such efforts are essential for restoring normal navigation through the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz. Both sides agreed to jointly push for a ceasefire, cessation of hostilities, and the resumption of dialogue, while ensuring the protection of non-combatants and maritime security. In a post on X, Dar reaffirmed the shared commitment to peace, stating that all efforts would align with the principles of the

United Nations Charter. Wang Yi also expressed appreciation for Pakistan’s constructive role in promoting deescalation and stability in the region, reiterating Beijing’s support for Islamabad’s mediation efforts.

With growing international backing and continued diplomatic engagement, Pakistan’s role as a key intermediary in the Iran– US crisis appears to be gaining momentum, even as significant challenges remain in bridging the divide between the two sides.


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Epaper_26-03-28 KHI by Pakistan Today - Issuu