In partnership with Sunday, 15 March, 2026 | 25 Ramazan, 1447
Profit
Rs 20.00 | Vol XVI No 250 | 8 Pages | Karachi Edition
IRAN URGES GULF NATIONS TO EXPEL ‘US FORCES’ AS TRUMP THREATENS STRIKES ON SHORELINE ‘TIT-FOR-TAT ATTACKS’
g
g
US PRESIDENT SAYS US FORCES ‘OBLITERATED’ IRANIAN MILITARY TARGETS ON KHARG ISLAND, WARNING TO GET HORMUZ STRAIT ‘OPEN, SAFE, AND FREE’ ONE WAY OR THE OTHER
g
IRAN’S IRGC WARNS US ‘HIDEOUTS’ IN GULF LEGITIMATE TARGETS, VOWING RETALIATION AGAINST US FACILITIES IF ENERGY INFRASTRUCTURE ATTACKED
STRAIT OF HORMUZ REMAINS OPEN, g US EMBASSY IN BAGHDAD g THOUSANDS RALLY IN TEHRAN BUT IRAN BLOCKS ENEMIES’ TANKERS SAYS US CITIZENS ‘SHOULD IN SUPPORT OF PALESTINIANS AND VESSELS: FM ARAGHCHI LEAVE IRAQ NOW’ AMID US-ISRAELI STRIKES
I
TEHRAN/WASHINGTON/TEL AVIV
Govt arranges extra oil shipments to safeguard Pakistan's fuel supply
agencies / staff report
RAN has urged Gulf neighbours and other Middle East nations to “expel foreign aggressors” as tensions escalate sharply, following President Donald Trump’s warning that the US will be “bombing the hell out of” Iran’s shoreline. The warning comes after US forces reportedly “obliterated” Iranian military targets on Kharg Island along Iran’s southwest coast and threatened potential attacks on oil infrastructure. Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has informed the United Arab Emirates that US “hideouts” are “legitimate targets” following the strikes on Kharg Island. Across the Gulf, countries including Qatar and Bahrain issued evacuation warnings as Iran continued missile and drone attacks. Meanwhile, “huge blasts” were reported in central Tehran after thousands rallied in the capital in support of Palestinians and in defiance of US and Israeli strikes. Since the outbreak of the conflict on February 28, US-Israeli strikes have reportedly killed 1,450 people in Iran. Iran urges Middle East nations to expel US forces Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi called on Gulf neighbours and other Middle East countries to “expel foreign aggressors” as tit-for-tat attacks continue across the region.
ISLAMABAD
staff report
“Touted US security umbrella has proven to be full of holes, inviting rather than deterring trouble,” Araghchi said. “The US is now seeking assistance from other countries, even China, to make Hormuz safe. Iran calls on brotherly neighbours to expel foreign aggressors, whose only concern is Israel.” Araghchi warned that Iran would target the facilities of US companies in the Middle East if Iranian energy infrastructure is attacked. “If Iranian facilities are targeted, our forces will target facilities of American companies in the re-
Govt slashes SOE salaries by up to 30% as PM Shehbaz expands austerity drive amid global oil crisis ISLAMABAD Mian abrar
Employees of state-owned enterprises (SOEs) and autonomous institutions under government patronage will face salary cuts ranging from five to 30 per cent as part of sweeping austerity measures introduced by the government, with the savings earmarked for public relief. The decision was taken during a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Saturday to review the impact of rising petroleum prices and the implementation of austerity policies, according to a statement issued by the Prime Minister’s Office (Pakistan). The move expands a broader austerity package announced earlier this week amid the global oil crisis triggered by the ongoing conflict involving United States, Israel and Iran, which has driven up international energy prices and increased pressure on Pakistan’s economy. Officials said the funds saved through these measures would be used exclusively for public welfare. The meeting was attended by Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb, Petroleum Minister Ali Pervaiz Malik, Information Minister Attaullah Tarar, Minister of State for Finance Bilal Azhar Kayani, and senior officials including Rashid Mahmood Langrial of the Federal Board of Revenue. During the meeting, it was decided that the previously announced four-day work week would not apply to law enforcement agencies and the FBR, which will continue to operate under their normal schedules. The government also reaffirmed that a third-party audit would be conducted within two months to assess the implementation of earlier decisions, including grounding 60 per cent of government vehicles and reducing fuel allocations for official vehicles by 50 per cent.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 03
gion, or companies in which the United States holds shares,” he said, according to the YCJ news agency. He added that Iran would “act with caution so that densely populated areas are not targeted” in retaliatory strikes. Araghchi also noted that while the Strait of Hormuz remains open, Iran will not allow “oil tankers and vessels of enemies and their allies” to pass freely. The strategic waterway connects the Gulf to the Indian Ocean and handles roughly 20 percent of the world’s oil shipments.
The government is arranging additional oil shipments to bolster national reserves and ensure a stable petroleum supply chain across the country amid volatility in global energy markets. The development emerged during a high-level meeting chaired virtually by Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb to monitor petrol prices and review developments in the energy sector, according to a statement issued by the Ministry of Finance (Pakistan) on Saturday. During the meeting, the finance minister emphasised that the government’s top priority was ensuring uninterrupted availability of petroleum products while minimising the financial burden on the public.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 03
CONTINUED ON PAGE 03
China urges Pakistan, Afghanistan to resolve tensions through dialogue BEIJING
staff report
Wang Yi urged Pakistan and Afghanistan to resolve their differences through dialogue and consultation rather than force during a phone call with Afghan Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi, according to a statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China on Friday. Wang called on both sides to remain calm, exercise restraint and hold face-to-face talks at the earliest opportunity to secure an immediate ceasefire and address their disputes through diplomatic channels. “The further use of force will only complicate the situation and intensify tensions,” Wang said during the conversation, as quoted in the ministry’s statement. China also expressed readiness to assist efforts aimed at easing tensions between the two neighbours. In a post on X, Xu Feihong said Beijing was willing to play an active role in helping promote reconciliation and de-escalation between Pakistan and Afghanistan. The diplomatic outreach came shortly after Pakistan carried out strikes targeting militant camps and associated infrastructure in Afghanistan. During the call, Wang and Muttaqi also exchanged views on the situation in Iran. Wang said China was prepared to work with the international community, including Afghanistan, to promote peace and stability in the region.
Rising tensions Relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan have deteriorated in recent years, particularly since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in Kabul in 2021. Islamabad has repeatedly urged the Taliban administration to dismantle militant sanctuaries on Afghan territory, especially those linked to the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, which Pakistan blames for numerous cross-border attacks. Tensions escalated further after a vehicle-borne suicide bombing on February 16 targeted a joint security forces post in Bajaur District near the Afghan border. According to officials, militants attempted to breach the Malangi check
post before ramming an explosivesladen vehicle into its perimeter wall. The attack resulted in the martyrdom of 11 Pakistani soldiers, while a young girl was also killed and seven others—including women and children—were injured when a nearby residential building was damaged in the blast. Investigators later identified the suicide bomber as Amad, also known as Qari Abdullah or Abu Zar, who was allegedly linked to the Afghan Taliban’s special forces from Balkh Province. The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack. Days later, a lieutenant colonel and a sepoy were martyred in another suicide bombing during an intelligencebased operation in Bannu. In a statement, the Inter-Services Public Relations said militants were continuing to use Afghan territory to carry out attacks inside Pakistan, describing it as a violation even during the holy month of Ramadan. Pakistan’s Defence Minister Khawaja Asif has previously warned that Islamabad would not hesitate to conduct strikes inside Afghanistan if cross-border attacks persisted. The deteriorating security situation follows earlier border clashes in October 2025, when fighting along the Pakistan– Afghanistan border resulted in the martyrdom of 23 Pakistani soldiers and the killing of more than 200 Taliban fighters and affiliated militants, according to Pakistani military officials.
Late fire response, lack of safety gear contributed to Gul Plaza tragedy: Traders’ association KARACHI
staff report
The slow pace of rescue operations and the late arrival of fire tenders contributed to the high death toll in the Gul Plaza fire, the Gul Plaza Traders Association President told the judicial commission investigating the tragedy. In his submission, Tanveer Pasta detailed that the first fire brigade vehicle reached the scene at 10:55 pm, but its water supply was exhausted within 20 minutes. Two additional fire tenders arrived by 11:30 pm, by which time the fire had already spread across the ground floor. Rescue personnel reportedly lacked proper equipment, masks, and safety gear, which made early attempts to enter the building and evacuate trapped individuals largely ineffective. Firefighters also did not have foam or chemical agents, forcing market management to arrange private water tankers until the Water Corporation supplied tanks after dawn. Pasta noted that initial rescue efforts were extremely slow, and effective operations only began after sunrise, by which point the fire had intensified significantly. Some trapped individuals were rescued through selfhelp efforts guided by location information. He emphasised that, due to inadequate rescue facilities, many more lives could have been saved had proper safety equipment been available. Electricity outages also prevented formal announcements, leaving market administration and shopkeepers to guide people out using loud calls. At the time of the blaze, over 3,500 people were present in Gul Plaza. While most were evacuated through 16 open exits, 72 people died, including 51 market workers.