WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 5 2025
$1.25
NEWSSTAND PRICE
NEWS6
West Van housing
Province appoints advisor to get more new homes built
LIFESTYLE13
Brewing news
STRATHCONA NORTH MANAGER EVELYN JAMIESON
Strathcona North ready to open the taps at Lonsdale Quay
SPORTS 19
World Cup skiing
Cameron Alexander lands bronze in ‘Crazy Canucks’ podium finish SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL AT
nsnews.com/newsletter
REBAR REBOOT
Work ramping up on stalled wastewater plant NICK LABA
nlaba@nsnews.com
Something’s flowing at the North Shore Wastewater Treatment Plant – concrete, and a whole lot of it.
Around 40,000 cubic metres will be dumped at the site over the next year and a half, as the clogged project gets back up to speed. That’s because PCL Construction has signed on to complete construction of the plant, and the company now has crews actively working at the 3.5-hectare property on the 1300 block of West First Avenue in North Vancouver. Metro Vancouver, the regional authority responsible for the project, invited members of the media for a tour of the construction site on Wednesday, Jan. 29. Mike Hurley, Burnaby mayor and chair of the Metro board, said he’s pleased to be moving in a positive direction with the treatment plant in partnership with PCL. “Together, we are committed to delivering a high-quality wastewater treatment facility in the most efficient and effective way possible,” he said in a press statement. But the media tour is just a public relations exercise, said Catherine Pope, councillor with the District of North Vancouver. “They’re trying to put a good spin on a $4-billion project,” she said. During last week’s tour, staff from Metro and PCL led a Continued on A16
Construction workers survey the scene at the foot of one of the two sludge digesters at the North Shore Wastewater Treatment Plant project site on Wednesday, Jan. 29. NICK LABA / NSN