Skip to main content

Kaipara Lifestyler, August 26th 2025

Page 1

August 26 2025

32 Victoria Street DARGAVILLE Kaipara’s Only Regional Newspaper | Kaipara owned and Operated

PHONE 09 439 6910

10,510 Copies DELIVERED FREE throughout the Kaipara

Dump protest anger grows u by Paul Campbell

Groups opposing the proposed mega landfill for Auckland’s rubbish in the Dome Valley are expressing “frustration and some anger” after more than six years of campaigning and court hearings without any resolution in sight.

Overdose awareness day August 30 is International Overdose Awareness Day, an occasion highlighting the vital need for …

P3

 Flashback to 2021, and an FTT hīkoi to Auckland to oppose the Dome Valley landfill

Mangawhai meets mayoral hopefuls The mayoral race is heating up, with a second debate in Mangawhai last week confirming the big issues …

P5

Free bus for lighthouse challenge The growing popularity of a multisport event at Poutō has seen visitors from around New Zealand come to …

leaving people angry and frustrated,” said Mr Miru. “Still, we will continue a political campaign in the forthcoming local body elections.” Fellow FTT executive Sue Crockett said after so many years, funding has been difficult with huge legal costs and the movement was also back in court in October or November for more legal and expert submissions called for. “Our legal team is having to work pro bono as are many other active participants.” While FTT has widespread backing from organisations, such as Forest and Bird and local and regional councils, the long delay saw a recent decision by Ngāti Whātua entities to reverse previous opposition to the tip. A hui at the Puatahi Marae, in the Hōteo River catchment of the harbour, then criticised Ngāti Whātua officials for exceeding their role. “Huge concern was expressed that the court was asking people to go and review

their conditions, saying it was putting a rope around our own necks. People described the legal system as broken,” said Mr Miru. The hui also heard that Waste Management had formed a ‘tangata whenua executive committee’ with speakers describing this “as a joke with no intention to implement any findings.” Local iwi have also reiterated that in the wider dump issue has ignored a longstanding rāhui over the site in “serious breach of customary law.” Sue Crockett added that a major fundraising plan was being formulated to rekindle the long-running legal battle. “It is becoming a war of attrition and really the whole thing strikes many people as being ridiculous. However, donations would be welcome at 12-3094-027404800 to go towards our legal expenses as we head to the Environment Court again in late October, early November.” ¢

Ltd

P11

“This should not be happening in New Zealand in this day and age,” said Fight the Tip executive member and Tinopai Resource Management Unit chair, Mikaera Miru, as FTT prepares to go back to the long-running Environment Court hearing on the landfill application by Waste Management Ltd. The company wants clearance to replace its rapidly-filling Auckland Redvale tip with 60 hectares in the Dome Valley, within the 1,000 hectares it has bought there. At the centre of protest attention is the pollution threat, with the tip in a catchment leading into the Kaipara Harbour, as well as the spectre of up to 350 heavy truck SH1 movements a day to service the facility. “The task of fighting this dump has taken over six years, and it is running people into the ground. We keep getting pushed further and further back, and

P: 021 705 837 E: brett@barnbuildersnz.co.nz W: www.barnbuilders.co.nz

CONSTRUCTION SPECIALISTS FARM & LIFESTYLE

LIGHT COMMERCIAL

BARN STYLE HOMES


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook