Skip to main content

Guyana Chronicle E-Paper 15-11-2022

Page 1

TUESDAY 15th NOVEMBER, 2022

Improving access to financing, technical support

$100

No. 106907

PAGE

02

— gov’t, Development Bank of Latin America officials discuss potential role for financial institution in Guyana’s development Multimillion-dollar expansions slated for East Ruimveldt, St. Winefriede’s Secondary Schools AN expansion of the East Ruimveldt Secondary School worth $175M, and another at St. Winefriede’s Secondary worth $85M were signed on Monday by the Ministry of Education (MoE). Immediately after the exercise, which coincided with the turning of the sod at both locations, work is scheduled to commence on both contracts, and run for five months each.

(Full Story on page 3)

AG: AFC saving face by latching on to ‘discredited bloated list’ argument

WITH claims of the voters list being “bloated” already discredited, given that overseas-based Guyanese are legally on it, the Alliance For Change (AFC) could only be using this as an excuse to not contest the Local Government Elections (LGEs) in order to “save face”, Attorney-General Anil Nandlall, S.C., has said. The AFC, in a statement on Sunday, said that its National Executive Committee (NEC)

has arrived at a consensus that the party will not contest the upcoming LGEs without changes to the list of electors. “The Alliance For Change (AFC) has indicated that it will not contest the Local Government Elections. To save face, they have opportunistically latched on to the discredited bloated list argument peddled by their larger coalition partner,” Minister Nandlall said, adding: “In the press statement,

they rehashed the selfsame, frivolous and vexatious contentions advanced by APNU in respect of the voters list. They also resorted to the repetition of their irrational and ridiculous allegations of electoral irregularities in respect of the 2020 Regional and General Elections.” The AFC, which is a member of the coalition with the A Partnership For National Unity (APNU), had said that they have concerns of going

to an elections with the current voters list, claiming that it was bloated by some 200,000 persons. However, Leader of the Opposition Aubrey Norton, at a press conference last week, revealed that the opposition was basing this premise on the amount of Guyanese that are based overseas. Claiming to cite US Homeland Security Statistics, Norton said that there are approximately ( See full story on page 4)

Special investigation launched into APNU+AFC’s purchase of 100,000 birth PAGE certificates 10 Greater trade relations, investments anticipated between Guyana, Britain — following Finance Minister’s engagement with British Trade Mission

PAGE

10

‘One-stop’ diabetes treatment centre to open by year-end

PAGE

12


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Guyana Chronicle E-Paper 15-11-2022 by Guyana Chronicle - Issuu