Gippsland Times Tuesday 21 April 2020

Page 1

www.gippslandtimes.com.au

Times

TUESDAY, APRIL 21, 2020

GIPPSLAND

$1.70 Inc. GST Tel: 5143 9333

& MAFFRA SPECTATOR R

HIGHEST NUMBERS EVER

PAGES 8, 10 + 11

GIPPSLAND TOURISM

THIS SATURDAY

ANZAC DAY WEATHER

Tuesday Partly cloudy- Min: 9 Max: 21

PAGE 7

Wednesday Partly cloudy - Min: 12 Max: 19

Thursday Mostly sunny - Min: 7 Max: 22

INSIDE

PropertyGuide GippslandTimes

$32m Gld roads boost would increase safety and boost the local economy. “The Gippsland economy has taken a real hit this year with the crippling drought, devastating bushfires and now the coronavirus,” Mr McCormack said. “As a government, we want to support local jobs and stimulate the economy with an infrastructure investment program stretching right across Australia. “These projects in Gippsland will build on the work we have already funded on the Princes Highway east which are delivering both safer roads and better access for all motorists in the region.” Mr Chester has welcomed the funding, which he says will help deliver his plan to boost tourism

numbers in the future. “We need to activate the Princes Highway as more than just a transport corridor,” Mr Chester said. “Our government has already contributed to the construction of six new overtaking lanes between Lakes Entrance and the New South Wales border and record $260 million funding for the duplication between Traralgon and Sale, which makes it easier to reach east Gippsland. “Now we have to give visitors a reason to stop, stay and appreciate everything our region has to offer. “With this funding, we will be able to improve safety and deliver infrastructure in Sale, Bairnsdale and Lakes Entrance, which makes our region more attractive for locals and visitors alike.”

Stretton Park works powering ahead

Work on the $3 million stage one redevelopment of Stretton Park Aged Care in Maffra has begun. Expected to take six months to complete, stage one works include the redevelopment of 12 resident suites and the construction of four new suites. Pictured on site are Stretton Park board chair Helen Montague with project manager Paul Vickery. Full story, page 5

The federal government has committed $17 million in funding to the following projects and will seek to secure contributions from Wellington and East Gippsland Shire councils and other sources to ensure the project benefits are realised on the ground. The allocations are $8 million for Wellington Shire’s ‘Revitalising Our Region’ package of works; $5 million for Bullock Island bridge replacement and associated works; and $4 million for Princes Highway rest area redevelopment at Lakes Entrance slipway, Newmerella, Cann River and Genoa. Wellington Shire mayor Alan Hall said council Continued page 5

People are urged to donate to Anzac Appeal SALE RSL and Community Sub-Branch is encouraging the public to donate to the Anzac Appeal online this year as restrictions around non-essential travel have tightened in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Sale RSL Sub-Branch president Marty Tanzer, said Australians had been buying Anzac badges from RSL volunteers in the lead up to Anzac Day for almost a century. “Buying and proudly wearing an Anzac Appeal badge is as much an Anzac tradition as attending a dawn service,” he said. “If this was a normal year, volunteers from our sub-branch would be out selling Anzac badges in the Gippsland Centre and in Raymond St in support of the annual Anzac Appeal. “However, 2020 is not a normal year, and Victorians need to stay home to help limit the spread of COVID-19. “Our RSL is doing its bit, and our volunteers will not be fundraising this year. “Instead, we are asking our community to support the Anzac Appeal by making an online donation at anzacappeal.com.au “It’s very safe and secure, and it’s easy to do in just three simple steps. “Money raised through the online appeal will go where it always has — to fund vital services for veterans and families,” Mr Tanzer said. “Please show your support for those veterans who have made sacrifices for Australia.” More on Anzac Day, pages 8, 10 and 11.

SALE MAZDA WE’RE HERE FOR YOU OPEN FOR BUSINESS WITH FULL OPERATIONS

3 Service & Parts 3 Free Pick Up and Drop off in the local area 3 Free sanitizing of your vehicle 3 New and Used car test drives open with afterhours appointments available.

SALE MAZDA & MITSUBISHI 273 York Street, Sale Phone: 5144 1311 www.salemazdaandmitsubishin.com.au

GP1606397

THE federal government will provide more than $32 million for Princes Highway safety and infrastructure upgrades, as part of a package of works stretching from Sale to Genoa — including $8 million to revitalise the highway where it passes through Sale. The package also includes $6.2 million for bridge strengthening as part of the East Sale Alternative Truck Route work. Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Michael McCormack and Gippsland MHR Darren Chester made the announcement after consultation with local community leaders. Mr McCormack said these important projects

LMCT. 10439 Finance available to approved purchasers


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.