The Geelong
ollege Community Magazine September, 1990. No. 65
George Henderson, Don Hodge, MIchael Aikman, Stuart Halford, , Fred Davies, Ron Cameron
M
SICAL MOMENTS REMEMBERED
In the report of the Principal, Dr. George Morrison in 1864, it was reported that 'Drawing is taught by Mr. Sasse and singing by Mr. I'Erson. Instrumental music is taught by Mrs. Longden and there is a piano for the special use of those who take lessons'. At Speech Days, 'read ings, recitations and songs were included in the p roceedings' . By 1893 there was an Annual College Entertainment held at fi rst in the Geelong Exhibition presenting a programme which included songs (both choruses and solos), reci tations, orchestral items, gymnastic d isplays and p lays. These d eveloped into the College Mid-Winter Entertainment wh ich continued und er the Principal, Mr. orman Mo rriso n and until 1912. Those respon sibl e for them included Mr. T. C. Bro wn, Mr. C. Stanton-Crouch, Mr. G. Braham, Mr. A. H . Harry and Mr. Worth. Mr. W. R. Bayly and Mr. W. T. Price were Princi pals between 191 0-1919 and a Mid-Winter Concert continued to be a
feature. It was held in the Dining Hall and, owing to lack of space, attendance was limited to boys. A report in Pegasus, 1912, suggests that many of the items were given by ad ults and remarks on the absence of a school choir. Reverend F. W. Rolland became Princi pal in 1920. Music (Piano) was taught by Mr. Cotton and Miss Gill. 'Trial By Jury' was performed in 1921 by the Senior School and excerpts of the 'Mikado' by the Preparatory School in 1927. In order to encourage musical appreciation, concerts were held twice a term. These were arranged by Mrs. Gladys MacDowall. Early in the 1930's it was recognised that music held far too little place in the School and in 1934 a Music Club was formed to remed y the situation. Teachers Brian Lester, Carl Ipsen, Tammy Henderson and ]. H . Campbell were the leading spirits in the Club which aimed at increasing the appreciation of music in the school. Visits to the Opera and musical prod uctions were arranged . In 1935 the
Glee Club presented 'The Monastery'. In order to encourage the School to sing, community singing was held after Assembly at fairly regular intervals. Those in charge were Mr. William Samson and Mr. Rea Dickson. It was at the beginning of 1936 wi th the appointment of Mr. Roy Shepherd as Director of Music that mu sic was afforded a prominent place in the curriculum. The singing of hymns at Assembly became a feature of School life. In 1937 Mr. George Logic-Smith was appointed as full-time music master to assist Mr. Shepherd, whose regular visits continued for a time. In 1938 Mr. Logie-Smith was appointed Music Director. The House of Music was opened in the same year and so began an era mark d by intense musical activity through the Glee Club, orchestras, instrumentalists, and so on . Music was not confined : ev rybody participated. Musica l appreciation was increased by the gift of a gramophone and large r cord collection by the Carnegie Foundation in 1941.