I N T E R N A T I O N A L
16
Price: Rp 3.000,-
Entertainment
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Settlement highlights Cruise-Holmes privacy wishes
Only time will tell if the quick divorce settlement reached between Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise lasts longer than their fiveyear marriage. It will need to, since the agreement will guide how the actors raise their 6-year-old daughter Suri for years to come. Yet major disputes could put the pair back in lawyers’ offices and force them to enter a place they have successfully avoided so far — a courtroom.
AP Photo/Chris Pizzello, File
In this June 27, 2005 file photo, Tom Cruise, star of the new film “War of the Worlds,” arrives with his fiancee Katie Holmes on motorcycle for a screening of the film at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles. Cruise and Homes are calling it quits after five years of marriage. Holmes’ attorney Jonathan Wolfe said Friday June 29, 2012 that the couple is divorcing, but called it a private matter for the family.
The surprise announcement Monday that Holmes and Cruise had settled their divorce in less than two weeks ended what many expected to be a contentious breakup spanning both coasts. Details of the agreement remain confidential and the pair released a joint statement indicating they intend to keep it that way. “We want to keep matters affecting our family private and express our respect for each other’s commitment to each of our respective beliefs and support each other’s roles as parents,” their statement said. Had the divorce taken longer to resolve, many expected Cruise to try to move the case from New York to California, where he has ended his marriages to actresses Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman. Neither of those cases lasted very long, with Cruise finalizing his divorce from Rogers within 45 days; his divorce from Kidman took less than six months. If Holmes and Cruise have a significant dispute about Suri’s care or custody, a family law judge may have to resolve the dispute. Their divorce settlement could dictate that the dispute be heard in Los Angeles or it could remain in New York, said Steve
Mindel, a divorce lawyer and partner in the Los Angeles firm Feinberg, Mindel, Brandt and Klein who has handled bi-coastal divorce cases. “No doubt the settlement terms took into consideration where disputes are going to be settled,” said Michael Kelly, a Santa Monica, Californiabased divorce attorney who has handled numerous high-profile divorces and custody disputes. He said, however, that settlements increasingly call for parties to go to mediation or appear before a private judge.
WEATHER FORECAST Dps 24 - 33
Blake Shelton, left, and Michael Buble on the set of NBC’s “The Voice,” on Monday, July 9, 2012, in Los Angeles.
e-mail: info_ibp@balipost.co.id online: http://www.internationalbalipost.com. http://epaper.internationalbalipost.com.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4 hurt at Pamplona’s running of the bulls
Drogba to arrive in China on Saturday
Page 6
Page 8
EU gives Spain more time on deficit, sets bank aid Page 12
Avoid to be issued prematurely
Discussion on subak legislation draft runs slowly Bali Post
DENPASAR - Regional regulation draft on subak is still being discussed by the Bali House with the executive. Preparation and discussion of the regulation draft ran pretty slowly because there were a number of articles that should live through in-depth discussion so that the regulation would not be issued prematurely in protecting the subak against various threats, chiefly the conversion of land function.
Michael Buble joins Blake Shelton’s ‘Voice’ team
NBC says “The Voice” is teaming a crooner and a country singer for the show’s new season. The network said Monday that Michael Buble will serve as adviser to coach Blake Shelton’s team of contestants when the singing contest returns in September. Buble, who described himself as a “big Blake fan,” said he’s having a terrific time working with Shelton and his singers. Buble started taping his appearances on “The Voice” Monday in Los Angeles. NBC has yet to announce advisers for the show’s three other coaches, Christina Aguilera, CeeLo Green and Adam Levine. Kelly Clarkson, Jewel and Baby Face were among last season’s advisers, guiding contestants in their choice of songs. “The Voice” is back for its third season Sept. 10.
16 Pages Number 143 4th year
I N T E R N A T I O N A L
Regional regulation draft on subak is still being discussed by the Bali House with the executive. Preparation and discussion of the regulation draft ran pretty slowly because there were a number of articles that should live through in-depth discussion. IBP/File
Chairman of Special Committee of the Regional R eg u l a t i o n Draft on subak in the Bali House, Cokorda Raka Kerthiyasa, admitted if the discussion on the regulation ran quite slowly. According to him, before being passed as regional regulation, there should be thorough and in-depth discussion against the existing articles so that after the issuance and approval the regulation could provide a comprehensive protec-
tion to subak and run in harmony with the environment and local communities. He further said that substantial element in the discussion on the regional regulation draft of subak was regarding the incentives for farmers. Without the alignment to farmers, the conversion of farmland function would possibly take place more quickly. “This matter needs the attention of all parties, both central and local governments (province, regency/ municipality), so that subak can be preserved,” said the politician who is fondly called Cok Ibah. Continued on page 6
Australian on death row seeks clemency
Agence France-Presse
AP Photo/NBC, Tyler Golden
DENPASAR - An Australian drug smuggler on death row in Indonesia has appealed for presidential clemency, a court official said Monday. A member of the “Bali Nine” smuggling gang, Myuran Sukumaran, 31, through his lawyers submitted a request for clemency to the Denpasar district court on the island of Bali on Friday, the court’s spokesman Amser Simanjuntak told reporters.
“We received the clemency request on July 6, and we will process it as soon as possible and send it to the Supreme Court, which will hand it over to the president,” he said. “The letter states that the convict has repented and has been working to better himself while in prison. He is pleading to the president to spare him the death penalty.” Sukumaran was convicted and sentenced to death for his role in an attempt to smuggle eight kilograms (18 pounds) of heroin into Australia from Bali in 2005.
He is being held in Kerobokan prison on the resort island, along with Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby, who was granted a five-year cut in her 20-year jail term in May. Witnesses in the prison have provided testimony to support Sukuma-
ran’s case, Simanjuntak said. Sukumaran is one of the two “Bali Nine” gang on death row. The rest are serving lengthy sentences, including life terms. Indonesia enforces stiff penalties for drug trafficking, including life imprisonment and death. AFP PHOTO / SONNY TUMBELAKA / FILES
In this February 24, 2012 Australian drug smuggler Myuran Sukumaran on death row is seen in Kerobokan prison in Indonesia’s Bali island. Sukumaran, 31, is one of the “Bali Nine” smuggling gang has appealed for presidential clemency a court official said on July 9, 2012.